Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, planning to add one of these to my collection. I have just got out of the gun shop where I have spent more than an hour playing around the XDM Compact 9mm. (3.8) This pistol looks and feels great in my hand and it comes with a range of accessories, however, the price is about $625 out the door. Whats your opinion on this gun?
I also thought about getting a Gen 4 26, or a Gen 4 19 which will can be picked up in a few days.

Any comparison from anyone who has experience with this XDM compact and the Glock would be most appreciated.
Thanks.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
I had a 1st Gen G19, nice little gun. As far as the XD goes, I don't like the fact that you need to have the grip safety depressed in order to rack the slide. Probably just me but that's the way I am. I'd go 4th Gen G19 all the way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For the price and the fact that you'll get a third magazine, I'd go with a Gen 4 19. I had an XDM in .40 and 9mm, at first i bought in to all the hype because it was new, then I realized that I was paying for a bunch of useless crap between the holster, mag holder and the case it comes in. On the other hand, I never had an issue with either pistol, just preferred the feel of a Glock.

Good luck with you're purchase!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
XDm compact looks and feels great. It's on my list of guns to buy.
If you already have some glocks, it might be nice to switch it up a little bit and pick up the springfield.

·
20,411 Posts
If you plan to shoot it a lot then get the Glock. My 1996 Gen2 G19 has 76,000+ rounds fired and I will be using it in competition this Sunday.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Go with the g26. If I recall correctly, you already have a g19 gen 3 right? So why not add a g26 to be its companion. Get what ever you feel better about. I don't like the grip safety idea though.

·
Banned
1,881 Posts
I owned a Gen4 G17 and had nothing but problems with it.

I traded it in for a XD(M)-9, which has been flawless.

Given the history of problems with the Gen4 G17s and G19s in 9mm, to me, the choice is obvious.

And yes, I own Glocks in Gen3.

·
Banned
466 Posts
With a Glock you will be able to repair it yourself and even customize it if you choose too. The XD will have to be returned to the factory for everything as Springfield will not sell any replacement parts to the owners of their guns.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a Glock you will be able to repair it yourself and even customize it if you choose too. The XD will have to be returned to the factory for everything as Springfield will not sell any replacement parts to the owners of their guns.
What the heck, is this really true? I don't think this is a good thing. I have detailed strip my Glock more that 5 times already just to get good at it. I had no problems stripping it to bare bones, really simple. I just thought the Springfield was similar. I had taken off the slide on the XDM at the gunshop, it was fairly easy. But I am not sure about the detail strip on it. Would appreciate any information on this. I am still a Glock guy, just thinking of spreading my wings a little.
Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've shot the XD Compact and it was very accurate. I hear that the XD-M is even better, but I still purchased the Glock 19 largely because of the overwhelming recommendation of experienced GTers.

·
Glock Sportsman
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The XDM compact is a smaller/shorter gun overall, it is great for conceal carry. Also it comes std with a 13 round mag and an extended one for 19 rds. It appears to be very versatile and has a nice feel, it also comes with better sights than the Glock. It has adjustable backstraps, the recoil spring looks like a gen 4's spring. I'll try to get a few pics.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a 1st Gen G19, nice little gun. As far as the XD goes, I don't like the fact that you need to have the grip safety depressed in order to rack the slide. Probably just me but that's the way I am. I'd go 4th Gen G19 all the way.
not saying you're wrong....but just out of curiosity how would you rack the slide without depressing the safety?

·
Banned
2,157 Posts
How durable is the XDM? Reliability and durability are why I have a Glock and a HK. Till now I have trusted nothing else like those two...except my old Sig P228.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts