close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 4 19 bad jam

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DeLo, Feb 12, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DeLo

DeLo

I was at the range yesterday using factory ammo and got a terrible jam. The case is stuck half in the chamber and the slide won't move. I had a couple of the range officers look at it and one of which is a gunsmith and they all said they have never seen a jam this bad. The slide is completely locked up, won't budge a bit. The RO that is a gunsmith was saying either have a local smith in my town look at it or send it back to Glock. Everyone felt it was an ammo issue but I have had fail to ejects with this gun and haven't done the recoil exchange program because for the last year I have loaned the gun to my parents. Anyone had a jam like this?

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

never had a jam that bad, can you see the shell case ?? if so maybe take a pair of pliers and try to bend the case to be able to remove it?? or take a screw driver and try to pry under it and pop it out ?? just throwing out some ideas, post some pics of the Jam if ya could...

3. R*E

R*E

Put the slide in a vise with the barrel pointed down. Tap on the frame with a mallet. I've done this before and it worked like a charm.

eta: If it's a live round, put a bucket of sand under the muzzle just in case.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. DeLo

DeLo

Yes you can see half the case, the gun is locked up out of battery about 5mm to 1 cm, I have a photo but don't know how to upload it from my phone.

5. DMAR

DMAR

Hammer time (mallet)! As stated, in a vice, muzzle in a safe direction is a good idea...

It's unusual to get a jam this bad. You didn't happen to have a "light" (squib) round go off, followed by a normal round, did you? Happen to be shooting Winchester white box ammo ("Winchester USA")? A couple of posts have gone up lately with similar issues...

6. Alchemy1

Alchemy1

That's what happened to me and I ended up needing a new barrel. Guns going to go out on Monday:crying:

7. DeLo

DeLo

Yes this was the ammo. And this was the case. We tried the hammer trick t the range but without the vise.

8. DMAR

DMAR

Sorry to hear that, you may very well have a bulged barrel. Make sure you have that checked when you get it apart.

I would save the box of ammo, as the lot number is stamped on it. If it was a squib load, and it resulted in a bulged barrel, Winchester owes you a barrel. Based on three separate posts, in the last couple of days, with this WWB ammo issue, sounds like there could be a bad lot of this stuff out there. Who knows, but if I had recently bought 9mm WWB ammo, I'd be shooting it slowly... I roll my own, so I'm not worrying about someone else's mistakes.

It can happen with any manufacturer. Contact Winchester, the more feedback they get from customers with this problem, the better they are able to respond. Could be grounds for a recall on that lot number.

9. HeliGlock

HeliGlock HeliGlock

Call Winchester, And let them know what happened. Sounds like they could owe you a new Barrel. Just my 2 cents.

10. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Man all this talk about the Winchester White box ammo makes me not want to shoot the box of 100 rounds I have through my Glocks.. Im thinking of getting a Lonewolf barrel that I can use in my 23 and 27... and that way I dont screw up my stock barrel....

11. glockinload

glockinload

Not a bad idea. Is that just for the range? I like the rifling in the stock barrel. It promotes about 50 fps more than standard rifling.

12. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Yeah, I would only use the LoneWolf Barrel for the Range, and the price is only around $120 with shipping, so not to bad compared to a factory barrel price... so I might just have to pull the trigger on that new barrel, plus I would be able to shoot lead out of it, if I wanted...

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

14. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

well I went ahead and placed a order for the lonewolf barrel, so if the weather warms up next week and the barrel shows up by the end of the week I will test it out and see how well it works, and use the WinchesterWhite box ammo I have, all the ammo I've been using was from luckgunner. http://www.luckygunner.com/m-b-i-40-s-w-ammo-for-sale-40sw180fmjmbi-1000 and have no issues with it..

15. jack76590

jack76590

If the pistol is out of battery and the round goes off, remember the round is NOT contained. There could be pieces of case flying around.

16. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I am serious in this statement, I just say No to winchester,anything.
    Their quality control especially components has declined to such a state that I am no longer interested in any product from winchester.
    Sad to say that a once fine company has chosen this path,JMO. SJ 40

17. tonyparson

tonyparson

Here is a picture of his Glock
    [​IMG]

18. DeLo

DeLo

Thank you again for helping me post the picture Tony.

19. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Is the case seen in the picture an expended round or an unexpended round? You can push a cleaning rod all the way down the barrel, then check the covered length against the outside of the barrel/slide to see if it has entered an empty case.

A badly distorted EXPENDED case can yield to judicious application of a large amount of brute force. A live round needs more discretion.

20. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

My bet would be bulged barrel.

Did you have a malfunction on the round prior this happening?

I had a customer in a few weeks ago that had the very same thing happen with his Gen4 19. Barrel was bulged by Winchester white box.

He called Winchester, they sent him enough to cover the cost of a new barrel. I would have insisted on a new pistol.