Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
45ADC6C5-4870-454C-B430-713743905725.jpeg
A while ago I was searching out grouping size as an indication of accuracy for GEN 5 compared to other generations. The G 26 was actually my focus of that search. The G 19 is what these tests are of. But it still helps answer my question: Is the new design any more accurate?

If you search YouTube for “Ammosquared” you will find several tests like this for example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNXARzzb9s&feature=share

These tests are where I got the data for my chart.

I took seven of each of the listed ammunition sources and compared them head to head in the included chart. I apologize if my writing is hard to read. I originally did this chart just for myself, and then realized, I should share it with the Glock talk community. I appreciate being a member of this community and how other people are so willing to research and share things. These are very well done in my opinion, ransome rest tests, at 25 yards that demonstrate some interesting observations. There was not always a clear winner with one generation over the other but on average there was. The highlighted yellow line illustrates the mathematical averages of the tests. Other columns explain what the observations were. Checkmarks indicate which test was better, or a win so to speak, for that particular test. At the bottom I tallied the wins. Remember again, this chart was originally just made for my own observation. I would’ve been more careful if I would’ve known I was going to share it at the time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with the above comment regarding self-defense handguns.

Still, I find it interesting. And though the OP sample size is relatively small, I'm sure Glock Corp did an extensive benchmark comparison during Gen 5 development. So unless anyone thinks Glock flat out lied about Gen 5 barrels being more accurate, the results you show are pretty much as expected. And given a choice, I'd choose "more accurate."

Glad you posted.

·
MacGyver
7,397 Posts
Are the barrels used in the same gun (slide and frame) in the above tests. If not they are flawed from the beginning.

Are toothpaste or detergent companies lying when they claim "new, improved, formula" "fresher breath" "cleaner clothes"?
Can you do enough PROPERLY rigorous scientific study to prove or disprove their claims?

Does it really matter in the end if you have real arms and hands, and not shooting remotely off a device?

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
In my hands, my most accurate G19 is my Gen 3. I was expecting better out of my Gen 5 and was a bit disappointed. But my Gen 5 (or me) seems to have improved a bit as it gets more rounds through it. Non scientific sample size of one. ;)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the barrels used in the same gun (slide and frame) in the above tests. If not they are flawed from the beginning.

Are toothpaste or detergent companies lying when they claim "new, improved, formula" "fresher breath" "cleaner clothes"?
Can you do enough PROPERLY rigorous scientific study to prove or disprove their claims?

Does it really matter in the end if you have real arms and hands, and not shooting remotely off a device?
I see your point…

I don’t think they were looking only at the barrels , They were looking at the generations and all that comes with them.

·
Registered
473 Posts

It doesn’t matter that the different barrels were not used in the same gun because I don’t believe that he’s trying to compare a Gen 3 barrel to a Gen 5 barrel. He’s comparing a Gen 3 gun to a Gen 5 gun.

·
I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
1,061 Posts
Interesting experiment, Dr_fast! Although we can all argue about sample size and whether there is much real PRACTICAL consistency difference between barrels when fired offhand, it's suggestive that Glock's claim of the Gen5 barrels being a little more consistent seems to hold some water. Let's face it, though, it's not like Glock barrels were known for being INconsistent, though!

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
8,737 Posts
View attachment 525658 A while ago I was searching out grouping size as an indication of accuracy for GEN 5 compared to other generations. The G 26 was actually my focus of that search. The G 19 is what these tests are of. But it still helps answer my question: Is the new design any more accurate?

If you search YouTube for “Ammosquared” you will find several tests like this for example:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rNXARzzb9s&feature=share

These tests are where I got the data for my chart.

I took seven of each of the listed ammunition sources and compared them head to head in the included chart. I apologize if my writing is hard to read. I originally did this chart just for myself, and then realized, I should share it with the Glock talk community. I appreciate being a member of this community and how other people are so willing to research and share things. These are very well done in my opinion, ransome rest tests, at 25 yards that demonstrate some interesting observations. There was not always a clear winner with one generation over the other but on average there was. The highlighted yellow line illustrates the mathematical averages of the tests. Other columns explain what the observations were. Checkmarks indicate which test was better, or a win so to speak, for that particular test. At the bottom I tallied the wins. Remember again, this chart was originally just made for my own observation. I would’ve been more careful if I would’ve known I was going to share it at the time.
If Glock(GSSF) felt that the Gen 5 was more or less accurate giving an advantage or taking one,a separate category for those guns would have to be established so a level playing field would be achieved.

So far this is not the case, although not all bullet profiles and lengths can be used in the Gen 5 as bullet throats are still shorter, thus the proposal of more accuracy can be established with shorter lengths to be jumped vs the longer throats.

Personally not an improvement for myself.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rocky7 good point!
If Glock really believes the Gen 5 is better, it should have it’s own class for GSSF competition.

As for me , I am just reporting what I saw and put in a chart for easier consumption.

There have been a lot of good comments on what to make of the data. Each person gets his own opinion.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Unless a test is maxing our accuracy potential or has a HUGE sample size, the data isn’t something to draw conclusions from. If I’m reading the chart right, it looks like 3.5” groups. I can get up tomorrow morning, drink a cup of Folgers, take a dump, grab a Gen 3 and Gen 5, box of handloads.. walk down to the range and bang out some 2 to 2.5” ten shot groups at 25 yards off a sandbag. And there’s no doubt somebody with better vision (or a dot) and better trigger control could squeeze out a tighter group.

A Glock Marketing Barrel, I mean Glock Marking Barrel, is simply a polygonal barrel with a shorter throat and rough little lines between the flats. That way once bullets start flying, CSI will know who delivered which boolit.

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
I know that my Gen 5 G19 is much more accurate than my Gen 4 G19, using the same ammo.

But my Gen 4 G29 is more accurate than both.

Not sure why people get so offended and triggered by the possibility that the Gen 5 guns are more accurate. They throw out statements about how no one is a good enough shot to notice the difference (some of us are), and how it isn't a target pistol, so who cares.

Yes, we know you're butthurt for whatever reason. LOL.

Reactions: ffg

·
Registered
32,890 Posts
I took seven of each of the listed ammunition sources and compared them head to head in the included chart.
This is very interesting, but I have some questions.

Does 80% mean 8 of the best shots out of 10? If so, why did you make columns for 80% and 90%? What was important to you about doing that?

One of your 10 shot groups is 8.05". Do you think that is the best group the gun and those particular 10 bullets could have done? Was there something mechanically wrong with the fit of that ammo and that gun? Was one of the rounds sub-standard? Or do you think that group size is more the result of how you were doing the shooting?

I ask those questions because I'm wondering if the issue of an 8" group is more the ammo, the guns, or the shooting process. And then wonder how much the source of that "error" (whatever it is) affects the other group sizes.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unless a test is maxing our accuracy potential or has a HUGE sample size, the data isn’t something to draw conclusions from. If I’m reading the chart right, it looks like 3.5” groups. I can get up tomorrow morning, drink a cup of Folgers, take a dump, grab a Gen 3 and Gen 5, box of handloads.. walk down to the range and bang out some 2 to 2.5” ten shot groups at 25 yards off a sandbag. And there’s no doubt somebody with better vision (or a dot) and better trigger control could squeeze out a tighter group.

A Glock Marketing Barrel, I mean Glock Marking Barrel, is simply a polygonal barrel with a shorter throat and rough little lines between the flats. That way once bullets start flying, CSI will know who delivered which boolit.
Remember, these are ransom rested.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is very interesting, but I have some questions.

Does 80% mean 8 of the best shots out of 10? If so, why did you make columns for 80% and 90%? What was important to you about doing that?

One of your 10 shot groups is 8.05". Do you think that is the best group the gun and those particular 10 bullets could have done? Was there something mechanically wrong with the fit of that ammo and that gun? Was one of the rounds sub-standard? Or do you think that group size is more the result of how you were doing the shooting?

I ask those questions because I'm wondering if the issue of an 8" group is more the ammo, the guns, or the shooting process. And then wonder how much the source of that "error" (whatever it is) affects the other group sizes.
Great questions. I would refer you to the original video from Ammosquared on YouTube. I think that will answer your questions. And if you can’t find the specific video, they were all done the same. So if you watch one, you pretty much watch them all. Very few if any differences except for the results/data. There’s also pictures of the targets. At the end of the video, if you screenshot at the right time, you can get all the data on one picture. That’s what I did.

·
The underscore is silent
5,233 Posts
Data aside, I’m most accurate with the gun I shoot the most. I have a better understanding of where it’s going to hit and feel for the trigger.

I understand what the data suggests, but not sure how real world shooting is impacted. I rarely (never) shoot my Glocks from a ransom rest!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts