close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 3 vs Gen 4 27

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GPBob, Aug 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GPBob

GPBob

I've been having a problem with my Gen 4 27 in which the cause became clear in the last couple of days. Whenever I shoot that gun I get a small bruise on the tip of my ring finger. I enjoy shooting the 40cal round because I like the additional recoil over my 26. I have never felt it was that much more, but I just liked the feel of the added power.

I owned two XD Subcompact 40s that I liked, but when I would rent the 27 I found I enjoyed the Glock more. I gave one of the XDs to my oldest son and sold the other.

My LGS had two 27s in the case. One was a Gen 3 with an EXO finish and the other was a Gen 4. They were both the same price so I opted for the Gen 4. In retrospect I feel I made a big mistake.

I found out in the last few days that because of the shortened Gen 4 27 grip I need to make some sort of adaption to stop the gun from pinching me during recoil. Tonyparson suggested buying the old shorter mags and Peace Officer suggested putting an O-ring on the mag. Both of those are viable options, but a third option and the one I am most likely going with is to sell the Gen 4 and buy a Gen 3.

Apparently Glock has had some growing pains with the Gen 4 iteration. Between erratic ejections and pinching fingers, I hope they get this sorted out with their future models.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Its length of the mag tube that has changed, not the length of the grip. A gen 4 mag in my gen 3 26 gives this same gap. By adding a GAP floor plate, im fairly sure your ring finger will no longer ride up into that recess created by the longer mag.

3. GPBob

GPBob

I put a GAP floor-plate on one of the 27 mags last night. I rapidly pushed on the bottom of the mag and pinched my finger.

I did place the 27 mag into my Gen 3 26 gun and with the use of my calipers found a 20 thousandth on an inch discrepancy That may not seem like much, but enough to cause the pinch in the Gen4 27 mag tube to mag connection.

Thank you for correcting my terminology.

I am going to the range today to give the GAP floor-plate a try.