Gen 3 trigger with trigger bar in Gen 4 issues?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WARRIOR 45, Oct 24, 2015.

Tags:
  1. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

I am wondering if there are any issues or benefits of using a Gen 3 trigger with trigger bar in a Gen 4 gun. Does anyone have any experience with this combo? I am told that the Gen 3 trigger bar in a Gen 4 gun will lighten the pull a little, is this true? I know the Gen 4 trigger bars have the alignment bump that the Gen 3's don't, I am assuming this is why it's lighter. Are there any reliability issues of using the Gen 3 trigger bar in a Gen 4 gun?

Thanks for any help!

2. Mike-M

Mike-M

AFAIK, no one has reported any functional issues.

I have tried a Gen3 Trigger with Trigger Bar in a Gen4 pistol, and a Gen4 TwTB in a Gen3 pistol. I have measured the before and after trigger pulls in each case. The increase in trigger pull that I measured when using the Gen4 TwTB was small...about 0.1 to 0.2-lbf...that I'd term the bump effect as neglible.

That's supported by the fact that there have never been any "bumpless" TwTBs for ANY .45ACP or 10mm Glock...all generations for 25 years now have had that same firing pin safety arm bump that often receives such criticism in other Gen4 Glocks.

My position: I use the proper parts that Glock specifies for any pistol that I own, in accordance with the Certified Armorer Parts List found at https://us.glock.com/documents/FRM-72-26.xls .

So...I use Gen4 TwTBs in my Gen4 pistols. :)

WARRIOR 45 likes this.

3. HGxyz

HGxyz

I run gen3 trigger bars in all my compact and subcompact gen4s. I have since getting the G26 five years ago - I wanted to replace the serrated trigger and only gen3 G17 TBs were available, so I tried one. I'll agree with Mike that they don't reduce the pull much, but they do some and the pull is smoother. No reliability issues at all in three gen4 guns for me. One thing you will notice immediately with the change is that the slide goes on and off much easier. I see only advantages to using the gen3 TB.

ALL GLOCK, Kansas1213 and WARRIOR 45 like this.
  4. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses so far.

5. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

No issues when I had the gen3 trigger bar in my Gen4 guns. But I found that I actually preferred the crisper pull with the Gen4 trigger bar, so I swapped them all back.

6. pew_pew

pew_pew

It'll work but the gen 4 bar has some changes for a reason, mainly that the part of the bar that the spring connects to is angled to make a specific geometry in the gen 4's.

The bump actually reduces friction. The gen 3 bars bulge and twist and ride against the slide. So yea the bump on the gen 4 rides the slide but on a gen 3 much more of the trigger bar ends up riding the slide.

7. HGxyz

HGxyz

Absolutely false. I can shine a light into my mag well and see the firing pin activation arm is well clear of the slide. If it actually hugged the slide, it would have a hard time depressing the firing pin safety

8. pew_pew

pew_pew

Well that's not what they are saying in armorer's courses.

9. HGxyz

HGxyz

Sorry to hear that, because it's not true. I'll believe my eyes and my own experience - at least 20K rounds in gen4s with gen3 trigger bars. I'm sure any number of forum members running the gen3 TBs in gen4s could shine a light into the magwell and report the same.

ALL GLOCK likes this.
  10. pew_pew

pew_pew

The gen 3 bar will work in a gen 4. Never said it wouldn't. But Glock made the gen 4 bar with the bump to keep the trigger bar from flexing and twisting. I would think Glock knows why they made the change better than anyone.

11. smokey45

smokey45

I only have one gen 4 Glock, but I installed a spare gen 3 trigger bar to replace the grooved trigger on my 23. I did the same thing as HG to check the function of the FPS after the change. The bar travels right down the center of the FPS plunger, and much smoother than the gen 4 trigger bar. I've only put about 100 rds thru the gun since the change. It runs great!
    s45

12. HGxyz

HGxyz

You said the firing pin activation arm would rub on the slide - it won't. You said it would work poorly and it won't. The gen3 trigger bar doesn't just work, it works well, giving a smoother and lighter pull. People who have actually tried it know this.

ALL GLOCK likes this.
  13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Just to clear the air, if that bump and the part of the slide that it rides against is smooth with a little grease there, you're not going to feel it. There isn't enough pressure on it against the inside of the slide. Takes all of 5 or 6 minutes to do with a small piece of 2000 wet dry. The only hindrance with the bump is putting the slide back on, and that's negligible.

14. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Yeah, I know that's what they say about the Gen3 TB, but having also looked through the mag well, I've not seen this supposed binding or flexing.

I figure both trigger bars get the job done safely and effectively. Play around and find a configuration that feels best for you. That's what I did and ended up putting my Gen4 TB's back in.

15. Mike-M

Mike-M

That spring is the coil TRIGGER SPRING. The Gen4 TRIGGER with TRIGGER BAR does, in fact, have a coil TS attachment point that is rounded to reduce stress on the TS hook. This has NOTHING to do with anything "Gen4". All **Gen3** TwTBs made in the past few years also have the identical improved TS attachment point.

So...the aligning bump on the firing pin safety arm of the TB is the only real difference between Gen3 and Gen4 TwTBs.

The real mystery is why those who have owned ANY generation of Glock .45ACP or 10mm pistol have never made the same complaints about that bump. After all, it's been on the TwTB of every one of them for 25 years! :)

16. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

Great discussion! Still not sure what I want to do. I may try both triggers bars out and see what I like best.

17. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

I've had gen3 trigger bars in gen 4s. They work fine, but a partially ground down and polished bump on a Gen4 bar yields better better results for me.

18. Mike-M

Mike-M

Yes, you'll just have to try it and see. I believe the bump makes little difference either way. But...I would definitely always choose a Gen4 TwTB over an OLD Gen3 TwTB due to the improved coil TS attachment point. Fortunately all new Gen3 TwTBs will have the improvement.

You did not say which model you have. If it's a .45ACP or 10mm model then we've been wasting time, because there is no Gen3 or Gen4 TwTB for them...just one TwTB that serves both generations. :)

19. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Excellent idea. Bottom line, as I see it, you cannot go wrong with either trigger bar.

20. WARRIOR 45

WARRIOR 45

I have a Gen 4 Glock 19 that I want to get rid of the serrated trigger and lighten up the pull. I plan on polishing everything and putting in a different connector also.