Gen 3 slide on Gen 4 frame causing FTE

Discussion in 'GATE Info & Announcements' started by acpie360, May 23, 2016.

1. acpie360

acpie360

I bought a G17 frame and was surprised it turned out to be a Gen 4 model. When I put my Gen 3 G34 slide on the Gen 4 frame, I got the FTE issue. However, the FTE didn't cause a double-feed. It was as if the slide didn't go back far enough to actually strip the next round. If I manually cycle the slide, I can cycle through the entire loaded magazine without any problem.

I am shooting reloads. I use Xtreme 124GR FP, 4.2GR Win231, 1.10" COL, average muzzle 1014fps. The load works fine on the Gen 3 setup. I use ISMI 13lb recoil spring with stainless steel guide rod (can't remember who makes the rod). My two questions:

1. Could the bump on the Gen 4 trigger bar slow down the slide? Haven't had a chance to swap the trigger group yet.
    2. Could the wider Gen 4 dust cover cause the guide rod to become dislodged?

Thanks.

2. acpie360

acpie360

Got an OEM Gen 3 trigger bar from NDZ Performance for $14.99, put it in the Gen 4 frame, didn't even polish the part, problem went away. Test fired ~200 rounds this afternoon without a single problem. The Gen 4 bump was the culprit.