Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JONNY RINGO, Feb 24, 2010.

Tags:
  1. JONNY RINGO

JONNY RINGO

Can you tell a difference in Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 in felt recoil (40 cal models)? Assuming that I don't mind the Gen 3 standard grip (size and texture) is it worth waiting for a Gen 4 G23 in your opinion?
    My only beef with Gen 3 is I find it slightly slippery in terms of texture and I'm not a fan of RFT. I guess in my mind I'm holding out for the upgraded recoil spring, specifically for .40 models. Back straps don't really appeal to me much. The new RFT grip interests me, but worth the wait? I can't find any Gen 4's in the Cleveland area to test the new grip out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. muzzletalk

muzzletalk

IMO, if there is something that sparks your interest in the Gen 4 vs. the Gen 3 then you have a reason to wait. Many dont care for the "improvements" to the Gen 4.

But for the record, I am waiting for the Gen 4 G23. I really do like the feel of the grip. I can care less about the back strap overlay.

3. Jestur

Jestur

My brother in law has a gen 3 g23 and I have a gen 4 g22. We sent to the backyard range last saturday and put down roughly 100 rounds apiece. We both shot each others guns and vice versa. Neither one of us could tell a difference in recoil. We may not be as sensitive to recoil as others. What sold me on the gen4 was the grip feel without the back straps. No malfunctions or bulged casings from either pistol.

4. LV_G26

LV_G26

I have both a Gen 3 G22 and a Gen 4 G22.

Grip size, texture and mag release button on Gen 4 are very big improvements for me (small hands).

I have serious Failure to Feed (FTF) problems with my Gen 3. Newer recoil spring on Gen 4 seems to have solved the problem. I have over 1000 rounds with no FTF's. Tried to get it to fail with tac light attached, limp wrist, etc. Still no FTF's with Gen 4.

As to felt recoil, everyone will give you their own opinion. I do NOT feel any difference at all in recoil. Just my 2 cents.

5. Apprentice

Apprentice

I've 5 Glock 9's presently and have shot many thou's of rounds through them. Sunday I assisted with firing 200 rounds through a Gen 4 G17 and now, this is the ultimate Glock IMO.

The new captured recoil spring setup in a 9mm full size resulted in an incredibly flat shooting pistol. We were shooting this G4 G17 at a very rapid pace, about as fast as each of us could run it, and the front sight just stays planted in the rear notch. The recoil dynamics were quite exceptional.
    I was shooting my M&P Pro 9 side by side with it, and this is an outstanding pistol in its own right. But even this pistol's front sight exhibited noticeably more rise in rapid fire strings than this new G17.

6. pangloss9

pangloss9

I have a Gen2 G17 and a Gen4 G17. Recoil is less with the Gen4. The nature of the recoil seems somewhat smoother also--less snap to it. I presume the same would be true with the G22. I very much agree with Apprentice about it being the ultimate Glock, though I might go so far as to say the ultimate pistol. (But I still want to buy a Gen4 G19 when they are released.)

7. James Dean

James Dean

The G17 Gen4 will be my first Glock.

8. crushproof

crushproof

rtf2:) better grip, and unique serrations

9. operator81

operator81

This. I had a Gen4 G17. Hated the grip texture and didn't care for the piece overall. Put a box through it and promptly traded for a 3rd Gen G17. Just ordered a G22 RTF this afternoon. Ya'll can keep them, I've yet to have a 3rd Gen Glock fail, even with the light on :supergrin:

10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

If you can wait, do.
    Then compare side-by-side.
    :supergrin:

11. HiredGun77

HiredGun77

The beauty of the Gen 3 design is you can buy any weight recoil spring you desire. Different weight springs completely change the recoil character of your Glock. If you don't like your G4 you will be stuck until someone comes out with some aftermarket recoil spring asemblies for it and you can bet they won't be $7. For me the stiffer springs seem to reduce recoil I think because the slide is not bottoming out on the frame as hard.

For the life of me I can't figure out why people dislike the "recoil" of the 40S&W but turn around and shoot their G30 or 10mm pistols without a wimper. Some of the 9mm +P stuff kicks pretty good in a G19 but the same guys hate a G23 with factory 180's. That stuff is lame as it gets.

12. MGman

MGman

I love the G17 Gen4. Much better grip on it. And the dual spring will extend life.

13. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

If I ever see someone complain about .40SW recoil but say that 10mm is fine, I'll laugh. Haven't come across this point of view ever though.

As for the 9mm and .45acp, both have less free recoil out of similar (and even smaller) guns than 180gr .40SW fired out of the G23.

There are other factors like how quickly the recoil peaks, etc and none of them really favor the .40 for people who want "less" recoil.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  14. Apprentice

Apprentice

You are right about that! I have also just had a chance to put a mere two mags through a RTF2 G19 and that spiny treatment on the back strap really seems to anchor the pistol in your hand. From that very limited experience.

15. MAGICMANIA

MAGICMANIA

I like the 3rd Gen myself.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010