Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may remember, I bought a new Gen 3 Glock 22 a week ago. I've since put 100 rounds through it. Long story short, I'm not liking this gun very much. I knew I should have gotten something in 9mm or maybe .45 ACP. I'm now considering selling it. How much is it worth? I'm thinking around $430-$450. Am I at least in the ball park?

·
"It Is Written"
1,470 Posts
Just curious why are you selling it. I never thought i would like the .40 but after seeing how well my 35 and 24 shoot i plan on a G22 rtf2 since my hands are large. I have the 19,17 and 21 all rtf2's my favorite texture. I like full size glocks and the 19 for compacts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Used 22's are a dime a dozen. Every gun shop, pawn shop, and bread shop has a used selection with some good prices. I'd start at $450, but I wouldn't be completely shocked when offers for $375-415 came in. It depends on how motivated you are to sell. If you wait, you'll probably find $430 if you're willing to ship, if you want it gone to buy a different caliber this week, you'll most likely find your price dropping from $450.

CM

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Sorry to hear that you don't like the recoil. That is why you should always rent the different caliber of handgun you plan on buying. You can always buy a conversion barrel at lone wolf for $99.00. Then you can shoot 9mm. It's not worth even trying to sell it. You will only lose money. The conversion barrel would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It isn't so much the recoil as it is the price of the ammo. 9mm is as much as 8 bucks cheaper per box and .45ACP can be had for almost the same price as .40 online. SD ammo is going to be pretty much the same for all 3.

As for recoil, it's manageable with 180 grain loads but it gets pretty snappy with 165. I don't even want to know what 155 grain SD loads feel like.

I also don't like how it fits my hand. I guess it's okay but it could be better. I really liked the feel and size of the Gen4 G19 grip but I was scared away by all the reported spring issues. Now I know what I need to do to correct/avoid those issues (which were overstated in the first place) and regret buying the 22.

As for losing money if I sell it, that's what's called a sunk cost. I'm losing a certain amount of money no matter what I do. Someone mentioned getting a conversion barrel for $99 to shoot 9mm. Well, for whatever I can get out of the 22, plus $99, I can damn near buy a Gen 4 G19 or another gun more to my liking.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone. It sound like my initial $430 sounds about right.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Well you can get a brand new g22 gen 4 with three mags and glock night sites for $479.00. So I don't know what you will get for a used gen 3 with two mags and standard sites. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
It isn't so much the recoil as it is the price of the ammo. 9mm is as much as 8 bucks cheaper per box and .45ACP can be had for almost the same price as .40 online. SD ammo is going to be pretty much the same for all 3.

As for recoil, it's manageable with 180 grain loads but it gets pretty snappy with 165. I don't even want to know what 155 grain SD loads feel like.

I also don't like how it fits my hand. I guess it's okay but it could be better. I really liked the feel and size of the Gen4 G19 grip but I was scared away by all the reported spring issues. Now I know what I need to do to correct/avoid those issues (which were overstated in the first place) and regret buying the 22.

As for losing money if I sell it, that's what's called a sunk cost. I'm losing a certain amount of money no matter what I do. Someone mentioned getting a conversion barrel for $99 to shoot 9mm. Well, for whatever I can get out of the 22, plus $99, I can damn near buy a Gen 4 G19 or another gun more to my liking.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone. It sound like my initial $430 sounds about right.
If there's another glock you'd prefer, list it in the want ads section for trade. It's worked for me every time I've tried. This will cover you from losing money and you can have the gun you want.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you can get a brand new g22 gen 4 with three mags and glock night sites for $479.00. So I don't know what you will get for a used gen 3 with two mags and standard sites. Good luck.
Dude, where are you getting a Gen 4 Glock, with night sights even, for $479? The cheapest around here for a Gen 4 is $523 with standard sights. If you want night sights, it will probably be $550+. I paid $490 for my Gen 3 before taxes. I think $479 is below the dealer's cost for a Gen 4 w/night sights.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think Summit has a great deal on Gen 4 22's with NS. Probably what he is talking about. Remember though, that is before $18 to ship and $25-50 for FFl transfer. Still a heck of a deal.

CM

·
Nagant-ophile
1,517 Posts
Dude, where are you getting a Gen 4 Glock, with night sights even, for $479? The cheapest around here for a Gen 4 is $523 with standard sights. If you want night sights, it will probably be $550+. I paid $490 for my Gen 3 before taxes. I think $479 is below the dealer's cost for a Gen 4 w/night sights.
The LEO price with Glock NS is only $455.40, so perhaps he is quoting one of these as sold through GSSF (tacking another ~$26 would make it $482 for a GSSF member).

Unfortunately there are a ton of LEO G22s out there at really great prices (while most don't have extra mags or cases, they generally come with night sights), such that a regular G22 doesn't seem to sell that well on many of the boards. I got an as-new one with a case and Glock NS for $359 + tax - and then got an extra used mag for $15.

ETA: Just saw another post referencing $479 for a GEN4 G22 at Summit Gun Brokers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a used Gen 3 in the for sale section listed at $365 shipped. It is a little more used than yours but is still a hard sale at that price. Not sure why they lose so much value so quick.

·
Registered
319 Posts
It isn't so much the recoil as it is the price of the ammo. 9mm is as much as 8 bucks cheaper per box and .45ACP can be had for almost the same price as .40 online.
I normally pay about $3 a box more for .40 than 9mm. If you're seeing an $8 difference, I think you're getting ripped off.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I normally pay about $3 a box more for .40 than 9mm. If you're seeing an $8 difference, I think you're getting ripped off.
I've seen an $8 difference but it's between say, Federal Champion 9mm and Speer Lawman .40. I paid just under $14 for a box of Tula 180 grain .40 the other day and on Saturday I paid about $18 for a box of American Eagle 165 grain. That American Eagle was snappy as **** by the way. The 180 grain stuff is a lot more manageable, especially the Tula, which is probably not a very hot load. If I end up keeping this gun for any length of time, I'll stick to 180 grain for both practice and HD. Still, I'd rather have a 9mm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts