close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 3 Glock 19 ftf on last round.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jim goose, Aug 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

Ive fired thousands of trouble free rounds out of this Gen3 gun, never a single problem. The last 2 yrs ive kept both 10 round mags loaded with xtp's and in my closet without firing it. I was in Co. last week and saw a range by the side of the road so i pulled over and emptied both mags. On both mags, the last round in the mags ftf.

The mag springs are definitely looser than they once were, and Ive heard varying opinions about keeping mags loaded like that for so long. I definetly think its mag problem, probably needs new springs.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

yep probably new springs are needed. others have said its not the position the springs are kept it, its the cycling movement is what wears them out.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Sounds like a magazine issue to me also and I might get a fifteen round magazine instead of new springs.

4. voyager4520

voyager4520

It's the 10-round magazines. If you can do so where you live, ditch them and get some 15-round magazines.

The 9mm 10-round magazines will sometimes fail to feed the last round because of a poorly designed follower. There's supposed to be a new version of it that will fix the problem but some people still experience the same problems with the newest followers. Some people say using 9mm3 followers fixes the problem, others say it doesn't.

5. MajorD

MajorD

I use a lot of 10 round mags (live in a ban state) and have not had any issues with them. They claim continual compression does not wear out springs but i am not convinced. If you can get more full cap mags do so.

6. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Upgrade the mag springs anyway. Use Wolff Gunsprings when you do. There's a precarious, 'balancing act' between the magazine and recoil springs. Third generation G-19's are notoriously reliable pistols. (The NYPD got them all straightened out for Glock, GmbH, more than a decade ago!) :supergrin: Consequently, a new recoil spring might be in order, too. ;)

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5

7. jim goose

jim goose "The Goose"

I picked up a new 15 rounder. The grizzly adams looking guy behind the counter told me that springs have memory, and keeping them fully loaded like that for 18 months weakend them. He does not buy into the cycling theory. I'd have to agree considering that when new, the mags were almost impossible to load, and now a baby could load one. I'll just keep 10 in the new 15 rounder for the bad guys.

8. Marred

Marred

FTF how? Does it jam on the last round with hollow points only or FMJ as well? If the hollow points get rammed straight into the bottom of the feed ramp on the last round only then it's the follower. Do you have the 2183 follower with the hump on it in a 10 round mag? Change it to the 9mm3 follower, this worked for me. Changing the mag spring wouldn't hurt either.

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Well, ....... for like the thousandth time now: Magazine springs DO have memory; but, cycling a magazine spring does NOT weaken it. Large capacity AR/AK magazines are known to weaken when kept fully loaded for an extended period of time; but, this characteristic does not appear to be shared by shorter, heavier magazine springs.

I've had 1911 magazines which I kept fully loaded for more than 20 years. I know other people who've kept their 1911 magazines fully loaded for even longer - All without any reduction in performance. I think you're downloading your pistol magazines by too much. I keep AR/AK 30 round magazines downloaded by no more than 2 or 3 rounds. I keep my EDC pistol magazines (I often carry as many as three.) downloaded by only 1 or 2 rounds; and, experience has taught me to never carry a Glock that's loaded to full magazine capacity + 1. (I won't be standing behind anyone else's pistol; so other gunmen are welcome to load their semi-autos however they like.) ;)

10. Salmoneye

Salmoneye

Interesting info on the 10-rd failing to feed...