Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are gen 3 and 4 G26 magazines universal? I have a few gen 3 mags and I'm thinking about getting a gen 4 and want to make sure I can use all the mags on each. Other than mags are any other parts from the generations compatible? I've read conflicting information. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Yes, you're only concern is if you're left handed

Gen 4 mags have mag release indentation on both sides, gen 3 only on one side

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, unless you switch the magazine release to the right side on your gen. 4 pistol. The right side notch on the gen. 4 magazines is for retaining the magazine with right side release and the gen. 3 magazines don't have the right side retaining notch. Gen. 4 magazines work fine in gen. 3 pistols because the release can't be switched to the other side of the grip.

·
NRA Member
1,537 Posts
I can tell you this...my Gen 3 G26 does not function at all with the newer ambi Gen4 G26 mags...it seems like the ambi mags sit a littler lower in my particular Gen3 G26....My G26 might be get 2.5 as it is an early one. Functions 100% with all the non ambi mags

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Gen3 (or Gen2.5) and Gen4 G26 pistols are almost identical and use the exact same parts except for six:

1. Frame - Gen4 frame has three differences.
a. Three different pull lengths are possible with the Modular Backstrap System. Gen3 allows only one pull length equivalent to Gen4 with M Backstrap. M and L Backstraps with beavertail option have been provided since 2012.
b. It uses a new Magazine Catch (item 2).
c. Grip surface texturing is improved.

2. Magazine Catch - Gen4 has two differences.
a. The push-button surface is larger.
b. It may be placed on left (normal) or right side of grip.

3. Trigger with Trigger Bar - Gen4 has two differences.
a. There is an alignment bump on right side of the Trigger Bar firing pin safety actuating arm that ensures it aligns properly during trigger pull when the Magazine Catch has been placed on the right side (item 2).
b. The Trigger Bar attachment point for the coil Trigger Spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the Trigger Spring.

4. Trigger Mechanism Housing and Ejector - Gen4 has three differences.
a. It is shortened front to back to allow installation in a frame with the grip MBS (item 1.a).
b. The TMH attachment point for the coil Trigger Spring hook is redesigned to cause less stress to the hook, and so reduce failure of the Trigger Spring.
c. Ejector 30274 replaces Ejector 336.

5. The Gen4-standard DOT Connector replaces the pre-Gen4-standard UNMARKED Connector. Because of a slight difference in Connector mounting angle in the Gen4 TMH and frame (item 1.a and 4.a), the UNMARKED Connector causes a 6.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol instead of the 5.5-lbf that it causes in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol. The Gen4 DOT Connector restores the standard 5.5-lbf pull in a OEM Gen4 pistol. (Early pre-2011 Gen4 pistols may still have the UNMARKED Connector and heavier pull.)

6. Magazine Tube - Gen4 is slotted on the left side to engage the Magazine Catch (item 2) when it is placed on right side.

NOTES:
- All pre-Gen4 magazines work in a Gen4 pistol if the Magazine Catch is on the left side. Gen4 magazines work in pistols of all generations.

- G26 slides, barrels, and RSAs are interchangeable between Gen3 and Gen4.

- A "bumpless" Gen3 Trigger Bar works in a Gen4 pistol if the Magazine Catch is on the left side. It should not be used with a Gen4 pistol with Magazine Catch on right side because the resulting Trigger Bar misalignment during trigger pull may fail to lift the Firing Pin Safety adequately.

- The MINUS Connector (4.5-lbf in pre-Gen4) produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM Gen4 pistol. The DOT Connector (5.5-lbf in Gen4) produces a 5.0-lbf pull in an OEM pre-Gen4 pistol.

- Since 2010, Gen3 pistols and new TWTB and TMH parts are made with improvements 3.b and 4.b above.

Thus there are only six of the 34 official parts in a Glock pistol and magazine that differ between a Gen3 G26 and a Gen4 G26. Three of those parts (items 3, 5, and 6) can function in both Gen3 and Gen4 pistols under appropriate circumstances, leaving only three parts (items 1, 2, and 4) that are absolutely generation specific.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I can tell you this...my Gen 3 G26 does not function at all with the newer ambi Gen4 G26 mags...it seems like the ambi mags sit a littler lower in my particular Gen3 G26....My G26 might be get 2.5 as it is an early one. Functions 100% with all the non ambi mags
I can tell you this...your Gen3 G26 has something wrong with it. I suggest replacing its Magazine Catch. If you are unlucky the problem may be in your frame, which Glock will fix using a new frame with new G##### serial number. FWIW, the only difference between a Gen2.5 G26 (1995) and a Gen3 G26 (1998) is polymer checkering between the grip's finger grooves.

The 2010 Gen4 Magazine is the "universal" Magazine for pistols of ALL generations. Gen3 Magazines haven't been made in a decade. Gen4 Magazines have been provided for all Gen3 pistols made since 2010.

No Glock Magazines or Catches (except the ill-fated G21SF-Ambi) are ambidextrous. That would mean that the Magazine Catch may be operated from either side of the grip at any time without altering pistol parts arrangements. The Magazine Catch for Gen4 and Gen5 pistols is termed by Glock as "reversible". :)

·
NRA Member
1,537 Posts
My pistol Gen2.5 has been flawless since day one. Not until the ambi mags came out does it have an issue. I suspect after all these years I should just replace the mag catch and see if that is the issue. I have tried 8 new ambi mags and none have worked successfully. The ambi mag appears to hang down from the grip an extra 1/16-1/8” compared to the standard mags

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As per Mike M’s excellent description (see item 1. a. of his post) the bare grip circumference is just enough smaller that the Gen4-5 feels a little better in my hand.

I have a nearly new Gen3- I bought it used but I suspect it had been shot very little if any- having no finish wear on the barrel hood and still a large amount of copper grease on the underside of the slide. I later bought a former range gun Gen5 26. While I am not crazy about the ambi slide release, I prefer the slightly smaller grip and larger mag release button.

I have not tried swapping the standard mags, but I did pick up a couple of Gen4 + 2 mags, and they function perfectly in either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm buying a G26 Gen 4 from this week. Are aftermarket barrels worth it? I'm thinking Wilson Combat, Blacklist, or KKM?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm buying a G26 Gen 4 from this week. Are aftermarket barrels worth it? I'm thinking Wilson Combat, Blacklist, or KKM?
I guess if you are running cast lead reloads.

I went out of my way to use a GLOCK OEM threaded barrel for my Compensated G17.

·
Registered
9,986 Posts
GQ I know exactly how you feel, my 2.5 Gen G-26's BRU and BSA prefix's are both like you mention, with gen 4 magazines also, lucky I have a boatload of gen 3 type mags for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm trying to figure out my Glocks manufacture date, but it's not making sense. My serial letters are BKMD, help would be appreciated

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm trying to figure out my Glocks manufacture date, but it's not making sense. My serial letters are BKMD, help would be appreciated
You can simply call Glock customer service and they will tell you the date it was made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Glock barrels are extremely accurate. Unless you can shoot 2" groups hand held out of a little G26 pick your gen. Dont waste your money. Unless you want to. If I was wanting to make my G26 more accurate (pick your gen). I'd do a match target Bar-Sto hand fitted barrel. And I DO want to!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts