GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
Our armorer said he was darkening the peened spots so that I could better see if the problem continued after the new RSA. It did, but the burrs he polished off haven’t returned. Since I really started paying attention to this gun a few years ago I’ve primarily shot fairly light recoiling reloads, which feel about like standard 9mm loads. I wish I had kept track of how many rounds have gone through this old gun, but I didn’t. If I had to guess, I’d say at most, 3,000 rounds total. I wonder how many more it will handle?

Well, I finally had the trigger bar/firing pin engagement fall below acceptable spec in my G27 ... at somewhere around 12-14K rounds. It's seen a few thousand more rounds since then (and some parts replacement to restore engagement).

I've normally used whatever duty 180gr & 165gr duty loads were being issued in my G27, and haven't really seen the need to use the harder recoiling 135-155gr loads.

My first G26, on the other hand, even though having been fed a diet of duty ammunition that's included a lot of +P and P+ loads, still has plenty of engagement at the same round count/use as my G27. The .40's can experience a little more wear and tear, due to the increased recoil forces of the .40 S&W.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Kinda sounds like if I only have 3,000 or even 5,000 rounds down the pipe on the old G27, it’s probably not on it’s last legs just yet...:cheers:

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,559 Posts
Thanks guys! One thing I neglected to mention is that I’m retired LE, and our department has very strict standards as to what they will approve for off duty or retiree’s to carry. Essentially, I cannot install any aftermarket internals or modify trigger pulls, safety features, etc. If the gun comes from the factory with a loaded chamber indicator, which would be considered a safety feature, I can’t replace that or have it replaced, unless of course I send it back to the manufacturer and they replace it. Basically gotta stick with Glock OEM parts. Pretty sure I could replace a Glock ejector with another Glock ejector, just curious if those who have done so have seen any reliability/feeding issues after a thousand rounds or so?
Not that I’m a fan of adding after market accessories to my guns, I’m not, but I can’t understand all the restrictions you have upon your gun as a retiree by your FORMER department. Are they doing your LEOSA qual and those are requirements? Are you in a gun controlled blue state? If so, it sounds like they are adding restrictions to LEOSA that are not part of the law.

I’m a federal retiree. My Sheriff’s department handles my LEOSA qual. I have nothing but praise for them. If my former agency doesn’t like what, or when I carry and if I modified it, they can KMA, as they don’t control me in retirement. Our SO has no such restrictions, just that you qualify (revolver or semi, or both) pass judgement pistol training, and are safe and proficient, state requirements, etc.

Reactions: L-2

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
IA Hunter, you asked two questions, and the answers are: Yes and yes! It is what it is brother.
I live 60 miles from the county seat, and three agencies who routinely qualify within 10 minutes of my house have invited me to do my retirement quals with them, but my agency says that’s not acceptable. I could go on and on, but this isn’t the place or time for it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Now I’m having some real issues. As I mentioned, I swapped the ejectors, went to the range and it fired 20 rounds nicely. I have to mention that since factory ammo is not available, I am now shooting reloads. When I tested the new extractor, I was shooting 115 fmj’s over 4.9 grains of WSF. A light, but not too light load that my other 9’s love. Second trip to the range, shooting 115 Xtreme plated bullets, also over 4.9 grains of WSF, I had three jams on the first mag. The spent casing ejected, but the next round jammed into the top of the chamber. Shot 30 rounds out of three factory mags. Only had issues with the first mag. Went home and replaced the factory ejector. Back to the range, fired 10 rounds with the xtreme plated bullets, no problems. Yesterday I went to the range with some new loads. 124 grain Berry’s plated round nose over 4.0 grains of Universal. A very light load that’s always worked great in my M&P and G43. First round out of the G26 fired, but slide only cycled enough to cock the gun, not eject the casing. Next 4 rounds all jammed into the top of the chamber and failed to feed. I then fired the remaining 25 of those loads thought the M&P without a failure. Ran home, grabbed 25 more of the 115 grain FMJ’s that had been reliable, and back to the range. One jam out of 25, this time with #2 magazine and not #1. So, after all that, my question is, could I have screwed something up putting this gun back together or does it just like hotter loads than my other guns? Disassembly/reassembly seemed very easy and straight forward, but what do I know? Also, the RSA on this gun seems way stronger than any of my others, even my G27 with it’s nearly new RSA.
Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I reload 9mm using Hodgdon Universal and had to up the charge slightly to get them to function 100% in my factory G19 and my P80 builds. I was loading a mild round with Berry’s plated bullets and 4.2 grains of Universal that worked great in all my other 9mm guns to include my 10.5” AR but kept having weak ejection in my Glock and clones. Increasing the charge from 4.2 grains to 4.5 grains fixed the problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Was that with 115 or 124 grain bullets? I just loaded 10 more of the 124’s over 4.9 grains of WSF. That’s .2 over minimum. I’ll see how that works later today.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Was that with 115 or 124 grain bullets? I just loaded 10 more of the 124’s over 4.9 grains of WSF. That’s .2 over minimum. I’ll see how that works later today.
Sorry about that, I should have said that it was with 115 grain plated bullets

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wonder if a lot of your problems are due to a new gun with low round count. Every pistol is an individual and breaks in differently. Yea, I know this isn't the way it's supposed to be with modern guns, but in my experience it happens. Also your G26 may like hot ammo for reliability.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well i just ran 10 rounds of the hotter reloads and while the recoil was a bit stouter, it ran fine. No malfunctions and the brass even ejected where it should. And that’s with the original, gen 3, #336 ejector! Now my plan is to just run a mag through it whenever I go to the range and see how it goes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm glad that you got it figured out and your pistol is functioning correctly now.

Bumping up my low recoil loads by 0.3 grains fixed my issues too. I am actually getting better accuracy now. I originally developed my loads to shoot in my compact pistols such as the Star Firestar, Kel-Tec PF9 and Sig 938.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I’m hoping this solves it but after only 10 rounds the jury’s still out. This gun is still pretty rough and tight after 230 rounds, which of course isn’t much. Gonna run a few hundred rounds through it over the course of the next several months before I consider carrying it. When I first bought it, I had about a dozen Hornady Custom 147 grain HP’s that I ran through it. Those sure grouped nicely. Maybe someday I’ll be able to buy more!

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
I have replaced the ejectors on several of my gen.3s with either the gen.4 or gen.5 ejectors.They have helped a little but haven't cured the btfs.Even tried the expensive extractor Papa glock showed from lone wolf & that was a very slight improvement.My older gen.3s built before 2010 eject the way they are suppose to.I have 12 of the gen.3 glocks with half of them being built around 2010 or before.I can shoot one mag through them and tell you which glocks were built in 2010 or before.The dipped extractor that Buckshot Barry talked about are on my glocks that eject the way they are suppose to.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
About a year ago I purchased another G26, this was my first american made glock. It would not function reliably with blazer brass, but ok with federal 9bp. No such problems with other G26s. The frame to slide fit was tight. I just racked slide with glock empty a few thousand times as I watched TV, yes I kept count. And kept it oiled, as I racked slide. I did not let slide slam forward. I can see wear marks and now it functions with blazer brass. Lot cheaper than breaking in with ammo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Hmm, that’s not a bad idea. Not letting the slide slam forward, certainly couldn’t hurt the gun. Nothing to lose from trying.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts