close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 2 prices...why so high?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by USMC03Grunt, Aug 3, 2012.

1. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt

I've been looking around for a G17 Gen 2 and the thing I've been noticing is the high prices for used pistols. I would say that $400-$500 has been pretty standard but then compared to new prices, it just seems higher than what I was expecting. So what is it with the higher used prices of these older guns?

2. vafish

vafish

Gen 2 is usually $25-$50 cheaper then Gen 3 around here.

I just bought a gen 3 police trade in G22 with nice bright night sights for $335 plus $20 shipping.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

3. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Because they are Glocks and unlike the late model Glocks the Gen 2's are reliable and just shoot,shoot and well shoot. SJ 40

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

More reliable than gen 3 or 4
    More desirable than gen 3 or 4

5. adamc

adamc

With all the problems Glocks are having as of late, including my Gen 3 19 bought last year, folks are coming to the realization that in order to get Glock perfection, you have to buy a Gen 2. I wouldn't take 2k for my Gen 2 22. I am of the opinion that it is not replaceable.

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Some folks don't like size/location of the finger-grooves on the Gen3/Gen4 frames. Gen2 was the last generation that had no finger-grooves, and for this reason, some folks will pay a premium for Gen2 guns in decent condition.

7. barth

barth six barrels

I'm beginning to think gen 2 Glocks may be the equivalent of
    my pre-lock, pre MIM, S&W revolvers.

My revolver collection seems to be appreciating.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

1. Glocks hold their value extremely well.
    2. Inflation
    3. General panic buying

My Gen2 G19 cost $369.95 new in 1996.

9. tacops5372

tacops5372

I have a G22 gen 3 that I would not sell for the world. I did it once and bought it back from the guy I sold it to. I kick myself forever for the G17 G2 I got rid of. It was a nail driver and reliable as all heck.

I just bought a early model Gen2 G22 born date Aug 1990. I was going to sell it and changed my mind...

10. bac1023

bac1023

They're definitely more reliable than the later Gen 3s.

11. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

THIS!
    I think that's a good analogy - particularly when we're talking 9mm Glock pistols - the G17 in particular. By mid/late production, enormous feedback from LE agencies caused Glock to make beneficial modifications to the design which made Gen2 even better (the "six part upgrade", the magazine insert, FML magazines, the breechface bevel to allow manual clearing of "Phase 3" malfunctions, a third frame pin, and the 9mm3 follower design, for example). 9mm Glocks were thoroughly de-bugged by the time Gen3 came about. While Gen3 stumbled initially (E-series "upgrade", anyone?), it too proved a worthy successor to Gen2 (at least until the last year or so, when Glock FUBARed the slide finish and started using MIM parts).

Consider this, the introduction of Gen3, and now Gen4, WAS driven by market demand. How long would Glock have remained #1 if it continued along with Gen3, and didn't offer LE agencies desired features such as interchangeable backstraps and a reversible magazine release? It's fine when your factory literature and 3-day instructor workshop characterize the guns as "ergonomic" and "lefty-friendly", and teach techniques for left-handed manipulation. But when, in reality, the guns ARE too big for some shooter's hands, and ARE difficult for lefties to use. And then, there was the .40 "issue" when non-Glock OEM tactical lights were attached. The 11-coil magazine spring didn't solve all of the problems. Gen4 was the answer, because .40 emerged as the leading LE caliber. S&W came out swinging with the M&P, which has lefty-friendly features and interchangeable backstraps. Plus, the option of features such as a manual safety and magazine disconnect (or both). If S&W never progressed past the Sigma and it's stillborn Walther "hybrids" (the SW99's), then Glock could have coasted for awhile longer. But now, it's a fight. While Sig, Beretta, and H&K cater to both "legacy" and new "niche" markets, Glock and S&W are slugging it out. While Glock has, absolutely, lost some market share, the M&P is still no less a beta-test product than the Gen4 has been (corrosion problems, lousy trigger pulls, "dead trigger" issues, and dovetailed sights which remove themselves).

I still think that Glock is going to win this fight and remain #1. But, they need to listen to LE just as they listened during Gen1/Gen2.

12. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

And, of course, what DannyR said. There are MANY Gen3 and Gen4 guns out there that are working just fine, and will continue to do so. Fortunately, those of us who prefer Gen2 can still get them "used". I got a Gen2 G19 factory-refurb just a few months ago, and it went right into my duty holster (well, after installation of Ameriglo CAP sights, an extended slide release, and a Pearce frame plug. And a bunch of "quals"). But, I'm also waiting for a Gen4 G38 or G39. That will be my next Glock purchase.

13. Z71

Z71

I paid $400 for a nice clean used gen2 G19 a few months back...private sale.

My first thoughts were that this is no bargain..even with a holster and some ammo thrown in....However on hindsight..was a good deal. The pistol is used but crisp as new..and works perfect..plus doesn't have the 'finger-groove' grip which many despise(including myself).

With new Glocks selling for approx. $550 in my area..plus the new Glock BTF/ejection issues nobody really seems to have a handle on..makes a nice clean gen2 Glock a hot commodity.

14. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

They have a short shelf-life when they surface at my LGS; that's for sure. The relative "immortality" of Gen2 Glock 9mm's has probably served to cut into Glock's sales of new guns, because so many were re-released over the years as LE trades and factory-refurbs. To only a slightly lesser extent, this applies to all other Glock pistols as well. They are durable, and stay good-looking unless dropped on concrete repeatedly. It's not like you have to worry about corrosion forming under the grips, or bluing wear.

My Gen2 G19 was made in 1991, and served a full career somewhere (to the point where it's original tritium sights died, which is probably why it was traded-in). After factory refurb and some of my own armorer work, it now rides in my duty holster daily. I've put a thousand-plus rounds through it already this year, and anticipate this gun will last through MY retirement. I'll bet the number of older Glock pistols out there now on their "second career" is pretty large.

15. Docmusolf

Docmusolf

Just for grins I asked my local guy store what they would give me for my pristine 2 g17. They offered $225 as it was old and not really marketable anymore. I kindly passed on his offer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

I love my Generation 2 model 23 that I bought new, just shot & cleaned it to show it how much I care. :supergrin:

Edit: I like the lack of finger groves and I significantly improved shooting comfort & control by adding a Pearce magazine base that fills in that gap on the front bottom of frame.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  17. avenues165

avenues165

I just saw a Gen 2 G22 yesterday, the store was asking $450.00. It looked brand new with a very small amount of holster wear. I did not see the internals of the pistol.

I thought about a lay away for a few seconds. However, I already have a Gen 4 G23 on lay away, and the next pistol purchase is my wife's turn to pick.

I am picking up my G23 this week, and will hopefully get to the range on Sat., so I'll see whether it was a good idea to go with the Gen 4:nailbiting:

For those of you with Gen 1 and Gen 2 .40 s&w models, do you see the chamber as a problem? I have heard that the Gen 1 and Gen 2 models have less case support than the Gen 3s and Gen4s. I think the kB issue has been exagerated by the internet, but I still wonder about it.

18. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

My bet is when he would have put it in his case the tag on it would have been at the very least 400.00. SJ 40

19. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

No need to worry about Kb's unless you break the "Glock rules" (i.e. jacketed bullets only, no reloads). .40 ammo has also improved over the years - it wasn't always Glock's fault when a .40 blew up.

20. Z71

Z71

The only Glocks I own are a 1986 vintage G17 and my recently aquired 1990(I think) G19.

These are the guns that made Glock in the US market-place. The 1990's was the time when 'Glock Perfection' had a firm footing in reality. There was a lot of whining about Glocks being made of plastic from the 1911/revolver "steel and wood' fanboys...and some comfort complaints and trigger-pull gripes...however you almost never heard about any functional issues with Glocks. There were issues I'm sure..but the internetz was young too..and not so many people posted about every jam they've had or about every brass case their pistol bounced off their noggin when they shot.