close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 2 G23 Question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by OMCHamlin, Oct 29, 2016.

1. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

The idea of a mid-size 357 Sig has been bugging me for quite some time, I think 'cause some guy put the thought in my head on here (thanks, BTW!)...

...So I might have the chance to pick up a Gen 2 G23 that is a later, three pin gun. Provided that it is in good shape, is there any challenge to converting this to 357 Sig? Is it really any more then dropping a 357 Sig barrel in?
    Of the aftermarket barrels, which brand is most prone to be reliable for just a "drop in, runs just fine" function? Or, just as easy to procure a factory 357 Sig barrel and go with that?

This would be a pure carry gun, so would have to be "Glock reliable", of course. Does the Gen 2 midsize frame exhibit any concerns in that area over the Gen 3?

2. jbglock

jbglock Manos Arriba

I never converted a gen2 to 357sig. I will say that out of all the guns that have passed through my hands one of the few I regretted selling was a gen2 23.

3. Valmet

Valmet M76Valmet

There will be others here that will say a conversion bbl is 110% reliable (and they may well be), but for something I'm going to stake my life on, I'd want a factory gun, so I'm your case I'd invest in a G-32 if you're set on a 357, or just use the 23 as-is.

That said, I've had good experiences with KKM barrels in my G-21 and G-22 (in factory chamberings though, not conversions). Fit and finish are excellent as well as accuracy.

4. Catshooter

Catshooter

If I recall correctly, when the SiG came out Glock said that it was safe to run in frames that had a CCA serial number prefix or later.

For a carry gun I would be comfortable with either a factory or aftermarket barrel, but I would call Glock and find out for sure what mags to use. The .40 and the SiG really aren't just a straight swap as some here will lead you to believe.

Cat

5. ArLEOret

ArLEOret

The case size on the 40 and the 357Sig are the same. The front of the brass on the 357 is necked down to accept the 9 mm 125 grain bullet. I am looking for a 357 barrel for my G-23 also. Nothing else to change. I am currently shooting 9mm from the G23 in a KKM conversion barrel. Never had a problem with this Glock pistol.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Call Glock to verify that your frame is safe to use 357's in or not, if your frame was made before the 357 guns came out, it probably isn't, and there weren't many gen2 357's made.

I advise to use 357 mags...makes it easier to NOT load your .40 with 357 ammo.

There's only one way to decide (for yourself) if a conversion will be reliable or not....shoot it! Shoot it a lot, then make your decision, but then that goes for all guns.

7. L-2

L-2

8. Palmetto Devil

Palmetto Devil

I have a gen 4 an run both 9 mm an 357 Sig , both conversion barrels are from lone wolf , they work great an have never failed yet . shooting 9 mm I use 9 mm mags but with the 357 I just use my 40 mags never a problem !! Like I said it's a gen 4 but hope this helps .........:cool:

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

[​IMG]

My Gen2 G23 is my favorite EDC carry right now.

:thumbsup:

geo46 and DLL9mm like this.