close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 2 G19?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Z71

Z71

I picked up a gen 2 Glock 19 yesterday with 2 hi-cap mags..some sort of nylon holster..and some ammo all for a price that's not really a bargain...but not too bad.

The pistol is very clean...and could pass for new or near new.

Questions....One of the mags have a +2 base-plate installed, can I remove this baseplate and install it on a G17 mag..and put the G17 mag baseplate on the G19 mag?

How were the gen 2 G19 pistols...any problems or vices inherit with these handguns?

Thanx, Z

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

If the trigger bar is coated black instead of silver, I'd get the six-part upgrade, you could find a local Glock Certified Armorer and ask them to order and install the parts for you, or you could send it to Glock. If the serial number prefix is before "EH", it needs a "pre-EH" G19 trigger bar, if it's "EH" or after it can use a standard G19 trigger bar. Here's some info on the six-part upgrade:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

If it still has the old thin slide lock spring, I'd upgrade that as well to the new thicker version for the G19. The old thin ones were more prone to breaking, and could leave a broken off piece in the frame that sometimes even Glock Inc can't remove. Here's a picture of old vs. new slide lock springs, the old thin one is on the left, the new thick one is on the right:
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/images/gparts1106-12.jpg

3. Z71

Z71

Yeh..this one is old enough it probably needs tthe six part up-grade. The serial prefix is ME..and near as I can tell it was made in 1990 amd hasn't had the up-grade.

I fired a few mags full of ball ammo from the G19 this evening. Works fine. Only issues I experienced was the +2 mag wouldn't lock the slide when empty. The 15 shot mag and some G17 mags I brought ran perfect.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G19.

5. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

To answer your question, YES, as long as the two magazines were of the same type, you can switch the bottoms.

6. fortheboys

fortheboys

I have a 2nd gen 23 and 19. Both are flawless functioning guns. If you call Glock and give them the serial number, they will check to see if it needs the upgrades. They will then send the upgrade parts to a Glock armorer of your choice. I just had our armorer at work install the parts. You could also send it to them but would have to pay the shipping fees.

Good luck and enjoy

7. Z71

Z71

Seems a fine little pistol....I scrounged around my ammo pile and found a box of 147gr Golden Sabres and a partial box of PMC 124gr hp...plus bits and pieces of 115gr ball ammo. The G19 ate it all no problem.

I had pulled the +2 base off the troublesome mag...cleaned it up internaly and stretched the spring a bit. It worked perfectly then....locking the slide and all.

The +2 mag bottom was just that....just a extended cap for the spring to sit on. I had thought these had another piece involved under the +2 extension. I'll probably just buy myself some new 15 shot factory mags and use the +2 mag as a range mag.

My cool 22 year old G19 seems a keeper. I excellent shape for an old gun...no finger-grooves(Glock don't seem to put these in the right place for me)...perfect function and accuracy. I did probably pay too much...but then you rarely see used Glocks in my area.

8. jay-bird

jay-bird goin' broke

The Glock 19 is my favorite hand gun. I carry a gen 2 AVD serial number. All upgrades. It's never had a problem in its thousands and thousands of rounds.

9. mildot

mildot

I have a TF serial, Gen 2 G19, wondering if I need the upgrade?

10. Hunng

Hunng

Pretty sure only the Pre-"EH" models need the upgrade.

11. Z71

Z71

The 'Glock serial number research' info sticky lists G19 pistols through 'WJ' prefix as being subject to the six-part upgrade. Also G19 pistols need some other upgrade to the ridge on the bottom of the slide...

My G19 serial prefix is an 'ME'...pretty sure the internal giblets are all original...my old 1986 vintage G17 is the same...needs the upgrade.

12. Rustin

Rustin

A gen2 G19 is the holy grail of Glock's for me. RTF 9mms are very close behind. Congrat's on a great gun. I'll trade you my Gen4 g26 if your interested...:whistling:

13. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

congrats. it sounds like a very nice gun. i'm looking for something like that for a good price to keep in my car.

14. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Ditto.

15. Z71

Z71

I didn't realize gen 2 G19 pistols were so hard to find. This one just sort of fell into my lap...I paid $400 cash and carry for the gun, two mags, cheaper nylon holster..and over a hundred rounds of various ammo..the ammo including a near full box of Hornady 'Vector' illuminated trajectory 115gr ball!

I felt slightly violated at $400..and only jumped because it was a buddy..and the Glock was so nice of shape.

16. mildot

mildot

Looks like I need the upgrade, Glock is sending me the parts. Thanks

17. pjm03fatboy

pjm03fatboy

Just chiming in i myself just pick up a glock 19 ser# fc with a (2) barrel ss 5" ported on top and the stock barrel and two mags 15 +2 and nice black bag case holds gun and two mags in side for a little higher price $470 cash out the door i hope i did ok i don't pick up the gun in till thur,so i don't know if the upgrade were done or not any help on that would be great new to the glock world!!

18. DougW

DougW Native Texan

I am fortunate to have 2 2nd gen G19's. I need a 2nd gen G17 though.

19. mildot

mildot

OK, Glock was "top shelf" on this, sent me the 6 part upgrade and I installed it.
    **** simple, great CS. I'm G2G. If you have a serial # that fits the upgrade go ahead and do it. Cheers

20. 8th ID

8th ID

After taking my old (new to me) 1990 Gen 2 G19 out a few times, I'm leaning in your direction. I have 2 Gen 4 G19's, and those have been flawless. One is stock and is my EDC, and the other has a tiny bit of work, and it's an IDPA pistol.

My Gen 2 is bone stock with update parts that Glock sent me last week. And it has the BEST trigger of all three. As soon as I run some HP's through it, it will probably become my EDC AND IDPA gun. Yeah, I know, it seems funny for me to shoot my ACTUAL carry gun in IDPA, huh?:wow: