close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 2 19 UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GoBigOrange, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Some of you probably read this thread.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1403377

I was finally able to take my Gen 2 19 to the range today after I got it back from Glock. It appears they replaced every part as far as I can tell. Glock installed the trigger bar with the + on it that you all said I needed.

I'm happy to report that the gun shot great. I have no idea why but I am actually more accurate with this Gen 2 than I am my gen 3. I have no explanation for that. :dunno:

Unfortunately I did have 3 double feed malfunctions while shooting Speer Gold Dots. I was shooting a mix of 124+p and 115 gr standard pressure. Can anyone tell me what causes a double feed? The spent casings were stuck in the chamber while a new round was trying to enter.

I shot 50 PMC FMJ's and had zero malfunctions.

Another question I have. I failed to notice this when I got the gun but the grip has a semi-circle cut out near the mag-well.

Did all Gen 2's have this or did someone do this on their own?

I noticed it was somewhat uncomfortable to shoot with that portion of the frame missing. I assume someone did this to make it easier to swap magazines faster?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The G19 was invented when Glock only made NFML magazines. The cutout is a thumb hole for grasping a loaded magazine and removing it.

3. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Thanks for the info Danny. I forgot about the old magazines.

4. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

No more Tommy Gun action eh?

5. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

To be fair to the gun, it never actually did that. The armorer I took it to only SAID it would do it. He didn't want to test it.

Who knows if he was right or not. Now I'm just trying to figure out what causes double feed or failure to extract.

My other Glocks love the Gold Dot's.

6. tgmr05

tgmr05

Could be the extractor. If Glock replaced it, you can easily tell, as it should be smooth/flat on the outside for gen 2. If you can see a small ridge where it is designed to protrude when a round is in the chamber, you have a newer version, and may need to smooth it out some. It should be loose fitting, and fall right out, if not, you need to help it fit better

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

8. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Glad you got it back and its working fine. Did Glock charge you for any repairs?

9. adamg01

adamg01

I am glad this story had a good outcome and also that Glock gave you a refund for the poor slide finish.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Not to doubt, but rather to learn, can you exlpain why that may be?

Weak spring must still close slide enough to fire the round, so why would the empty still be sitting in the chamber after the slide recoils backwards?

I could see if the empty might not get tossed clear, but why should it be in the chamber?

I've seen this before with a 1911 where a stronger recoil spring fixed it, but I don't know why:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  11. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Glock did not charge anything. I just paid to send it in.

12. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

It looks like I have the correct extractor. Maybe the gun just needs to be broken in??

13. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

glad all ended well.

too bad you didn't try out the possible full-auto mode, but probably the safest.

14. scosgt

scosgt

A round stuck in the chamber is caused by:
    1. Bad extractor (most likely culprit)
    2. Rough chamber
    3. Out of round chamber
    4. Extremely dirty chamber.
    #3 results in the round bulging too much, and it can not shrink back down quick enough to be pulled out by the extractor. This can be more evident with some brands than others, as harder brass may expand less and hotter loads will expand the brass more.
    But the extractor is usually the problem. If you can look at it under a glass, compared to one from another gun, you will usually spot a small missing piece of the claw.
    My G19 had this problem right out of the box, but it would only give me a problem at the Departmental range, because they used crap aluminum ammo and it would not grab and extract. Eventually it totally failed to extract, and the armorer installed a new one on the spot - problem cured. But that gun never failed me when shooting on my own, factory or reloads. It just did not like the range ammo we used for score.

15. scosgt

scosgt

A round stuck in the chamber is caused by:
    1. Bad extractor (most likely culprit)
    2. Rough chamber
    3. Out of round chamber
    4. Extremely dirty chamber.
    #3 results in the round bulging too much, and it can not shrink back down quick enough to be pulled out by the extractor. This can be more evident with some brands than others, as harder brass may expand less and hotter loads will expand the brass more.
    But the extractor is usually the problem. If you can look at it under a glass, compared to one from another gun, you will usually spot a small missing piece of the claw.
    My G19 had this problem right out of the box, but it would only give me a problem at the Departmental range, because they used crap aluminum ammo and it would not grab and extract. Eventually it totally failed to extract, and the armorer installed a new one on the spot - problem cured. But that gun never failed me when shooting on my own, factory or reloads. It just did not like the range ammo we used for score.

16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

It can be a failure to eject where the spent casing actually bounces back into the chamber, and failures to eject in general may be caused by the slide cycling too fast because of a weak recoil spring.

In this video at 3:31, you can see a failure to eject in which the casing bounces back into the chamber backwards. Tap, rack, bang won't clear that.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkHEdNx0Mk4"]Glock 19: Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Comparison - Vuurwapen Blog - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

That makes sense. Very good video :)

18. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

I'm happy to report I took the G19 back to the range and didn't have a single failure to eject. I'm not sure what was causing the problem but it seems to be fixed. I fired another 50 rounds of Gold Dots and didn't have any issues.

This one is turning out to be a keeper.

19. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Good to hear! :supergrin:

20. 8th ID

8th ID

Nice report. Hopefully it's good to go now!