close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 2 17 owners chime in.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by shooter1234, Apr 17, 2012.

1. shooter1234

shooter1234

Been reading alot about "out gassing", where the frames of the older Glocks were literally drying out and cracking. Also kind of scared of having only 1 pin for the locking block.

I want you G17 gen 1 and 2 owners that have a ton of rounds down range to chime in, and tell me your round counts. Anyone have any problems with locking blocks or brittle frames? Are these pistols as bullet proof as the newer models?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

There's a Gen1 G17 on display in the Glock factory in Austria, with a certificate next to it from Hirtenberger Aktiengesellschaft. The certificate says that they tested that particular G17 for 348,210 rounds with only springs needing to be replaced. I have no idea why they stopped at that particular round count.

The locking block pin isn't necessary for 9mm, it was added for extra reinforcement for the other calibers.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

3. shooter1234

shooter1234

Ah. I see. That's nice to know.

4. sglock45

sglock45

Gen 2 17 here about 2000 rounds in my hands still works like day one [​IMG]

Sent from my DROID X2

5. dudel

dudel

No problem with mine. Still shoots great.

6. Gaucho

Gaucho Jungian

Mine is a '94 vintage and has never had a single item replaced. Shoots great. The frame seems like new to me.

7. shooter1234

shooter1234

8. Sgt.K

Sgt.K They Just Work!

Not the best pic and I'm not sure of the round count I'd guess around 10k or so. I haven't noticed any problems. BTW I have about 5 of the NFML/NDF mags with the factory +2 extensions. Bet I paid nearly $80 each for three of them as it had 2 with it. Bought it from a buddy, 1998? for $240 I think. I have the adjustable rear sight it came with. I just replaced it so I didn't get broken when I used it for IPSIC.

[​IMG]

9. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

Mine's from the early '90s, and it has been shot tens of thousands of rounds. It is my training gun, and it gets shot pretty often. No signs of cracks, or any of the non-sense. I do, however change the recoil spring assembly every 5000 rounds, or whenever I remember to do so :supergrin:.

GlockMonk

10. GlockMonk

GlockMonk

Sorry, didn't see that part. The Gen 1s, and Gen 2s are what gave the Glock, the reputation it is enjoying today.

The late Gen 3s, and the "NEWER" Gen 4s, well that's better left for a different thread...:tongueout:

GlockMonk

11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Was a Gen 2 from 1989-2010 - 21 years - with thousands of rounds through it. I had it converted to a Gen 3 frame two years ago. Still works fine.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. shooter1234

shooter1234

So, no outgassing yet?

13. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

Build date Mar 1992, over 50k rounds thru it--the frame is fine.

14. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

What is Outgassing? Sounds terrible!:faint: Anyhoo, i have 2/93 vintage Gen2 and she fired about 150 rounds down range yesterday and she was a lot more accurate than my old eyes.

She is one of my duty guns (the other is a G26) and has been carried on duty on and off (due to idiotic decisions by HQ) since 9/93. The only thing that was ever replaced was the (due to recall) recoil spring and the firing pin and trigger assembly that was in 95.

I kick myself for losing a round count book I had which I started in 95. As of 2006 I had shot close to 50 thousand rounds through her and probably since then another 10 thousand.

One other thing that was replaced was the original Mepro night sights which faded to yellow and dimmed after 12 years. They were replaced by a free set of Trijicons.

I've posted pics of her here in the past, unfortunately due to computer and berry problems there are no pics available. However, there is nothing brittle about the gun, there are no issues with functionality, she's as accurate as ever and most important of all...continues to go BANG every single time I pull the trigger and NEVER a malfunction.

Maximum reliability that I have only gotten from very few other guns and none of them could shoot as much as the Glock without eventually experiencing a stoppage. That is why I am an unabashed FANBOY!:supergrin:

HR:cool: