Gen 1 mod17 Questions....

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Androo, Feb 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Androo

Androo

Picked up a gen1 model 17 yesterday in good condition..Serial number dates it to December 1986.... Couple of questions,
    Are the symbols/ marks after the serial number the " Austrian " proof marks ?
    Do later gen mags work in a Gen 1 ?
    I read somewhere that Gen1 mags aren't " drop free" ... Is that correct ? .... Mine doesn't drop, kinda tight to pull out.
    Anyone have a good source to try to locate original first gen " Tupperware" ??
    Any info appreciated, Thanks

2. domino1

domino1

Welcome to GT.

Are the symbols/ marks after the serial number the " Austrian " proof marks ? Yes they are also on the slide and frame.

Do later gen mags work in a Gen 1 ? Yes

I read somewhere that Gen1 mags aren't " drop free" ... Is that correct ? .... Mine doesn't drop, kinda tight to pull out. They are non full metal lined (NFML) so they swell when loaded. Remember this was a military pistol and if you lost the magazine you were in trouble.

Anyone have a good source to try to locate original first gen " Tupperware" ?? Gun shows, Gunbroker, etc

Any info appreciated, Thanks

Androo likes this.

3. Androo

Androo

Thank for answering those for me.....

4. flyby1971

flyby1971

Domino1 pretty much gave you the best answers.

Androo likes this.
  5. Firecop203

Firecop203

The early Austrian made Glocks usually have an Eagle and the letters NVP on the frame and a three letter date code on the barrel.

The early Glock magazines were not fully metal lined and were never intended to drop free. When the gun became popular with police, a requirement for them to drop free resulted in the fully metal lined magazines.

The only compatibility issues with the magazines are with the guns with the reversible magazine release. An older magazine will not work properly with the ambi guns when the magazine release is reversed.

Sometimes the Tupperware boxes can be found for sale on different forums or eBay.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Androo likes this.