Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=921751

LWD seems to suggest that early pencil barreled G17L’s has a ‘long minus’ connector with a different feel than current OEM connectors. Could someone with a nice gen 1 collection confirm this? I’m very interested in evolution of Glock’s stamped parts over the years. Is this earlier iteration of the Minus connector a real thing?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
From LWD website: "The general consensus is, the best trigger Glock ever offered was found in the Gen1 Pencil Barrel 17L. Introduced in 1988, Glock's original "long minus" 3.5lb connector was the basis of this target pistol trigger. Custom Gunsmiths used this connector to build their signature trigger jobs and legitimately, their reputation in the shooting community. Unfortunately, Glock Inc. chose to redesign this icon in the early 90's. The long minus connector was short lived and supply dried up years ago."

Uhh, I'm not sure about the LWD statement above. Pencil barrels were only on early (Gen 1) 17's. I'm not certain there were ever any 17L pencil barrels????

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, Glock Inc. chose to redesign this icon in the early 90's. The long minus connector was short lived and supply dried up years ago."

Uhh, I'm not sure about the LWD statement above. Pencil barrels were only on early (Gen 1) 17's. I'm not certain there were ever any 17L pencil barrels????
If this statement is true, I will buy a new LWD to try out. But after a lot of digging on google, I can’t find any evidence.

·
Original "G"
661 Posts
From LWD website: "The general consensus is, the best trigger Glock ever offered was found in the Gen1 Pencil Barrel 17L. Introduced in 1988, Glock's original "long minus" 3.5lb connector was the basis of this target pistol trigger. Custom Gunsmiths used this connector to build their signature trigger jobs and legitimately, their reputation in the shooting community. Unfortunately, Glock Inc. chose to redesign this icon in the early 90's. The long minus connector was short lived and supply dried up years ago."

Not only that, but *if* this is true then the sheer low numbers of these unobtanium connectors would sort of preclude them from being so highly regarded. Regardless, given one glaring Glock history error I would be hesitant to accept their story as truth rather than the sales pitch it sounds like.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
It's true. The original ones had a longer minus stamp (known as the 'long minus') than the ones that have been out since late 1992 or so (some time after the 92 armorer's manual came out). The originals are 3.5lb and the current ones are the 4.5lb. The newer ones are often referred to as 'short minus' by those in-the-know. They also seem to have a slightly different finish on them. Interesting to note that back in the day, if you bought a Glock with a long minus connector in it, the owner's manual had a red ink hand stamp on the front that said something like 'this pistol contains a 3.5# connector' (I'm too lazy to go down 2 flights of stairs and back up just to get the exact verbiage).

The big problem is a lot of third party parts shops will sell the current short minus as a 3.5lb, which is actually a 4.5lb connector. I get into more arguments about that.

What's worse is that Glock still sells pistols with the short minus in it, but the replacement part is a restricted part from them, and requires LE letterhead. When I was in Smyrna last year for my Advanced Armorer recert, I asked about it, and was told there was some legal issue that caused Glock to do that. Same with the marine spring cups.

If I can, I'll try and do some pics for comparison.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's true. The original ones had a longer minus stamp (known as the 'long minus') than the ones that have been out since late 1992 or so (some time after the 92 armorer's manual came out). The originals are 3.5lb and the current ones are the 4.5lb. The newer ones are often referred to as 'short minus' by those in-the-know. They also seem to have a slightly different finish on them. Interesting to note that back in the day, if you bought a Glock with a long minus connector in it, the owner's manual had a red ink hand stamp on the front that said something like 'this pistol contains a 3.5# connector' (I'm too lazy to go down 2 flights of stairs and back up just to get the exact verbiage).

The big problem is a lot of third party parts shops will sell the current short minus as a 3.5lb, which is actually a 4.5lb connector. I get into more arguments about that.

What's worse is that Glock still sells pistols with the short minus in it, but the replacement part is a restricted part from them, and requires LE letterhead. When I was in Smyrna last year for my Advanced Armorer recert, I asked about it, and was told there was some legal issue that caused Glock to do that. Same with the marine spring cups.

Yes please, that’s awesome info!

·
Original "G"
661 Posts

I have learned something new today, and that is a great thing!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
On the left is a 'long minus' taken from a Gen 1 17LP. It's a 3.5lb connector. On the right is the current 'short minus' 4.5lb connector that's stock on guns like the 34 and 35. Only the short minus is available these days.
Font Number Wood

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
58sniper- are you the member who was selling some of the long minus connectors?
No. Someone was selling them here, and I ordered a few, and they turned out to be all short minus connectors.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went with a LW 3.5 connector for the price because I couldn't find the Glock minus connector for sale other than at $20+

I have it paired with an NY1 trigger return spring currently, it was definitely lighter than the stock trigger using the LW 3.5 alone but seemed too light for me (as an occasional carry piece). The the LW 3.5 + NY feels like the break is more progressive even if some say it increases the pull. Have yet to try it yet.

If anyone is getting rid of the Glock short minus and looking for a LW 3.5 let me know! Or let me know where I can find the Glock minus connector please! I'd much rather have all Glock parts.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the left is a 'long minus' taken from a Gen 1 17LP. It's a 3.5lb connector. On the right is the current 'short minus' 4.5lb connector that's stock on guns like the 34 and 35. Only the short minus is available these days.
View attachment 373230
Any chance of getting a trigger pull gauge reading comparing long and short? I assume long is more of a rolling break with less ‘wall’?

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
AWESOME posts patcrad and Sniper. Thanks!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Any chance of getting a trigger pull gauge reading comparing long and short? I assume long is more of a rolling break with less ‘wall’?
Yeah, let me finish up some stuff this week and I'll do a comparison.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.