Gen 1 Glock 17 worth?

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Night King, May 15, 2018.

1. Night King

Night King

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. After spending all winter messing with my rifles, I've recently been bitten by the Glock bug again.

Anyways, a local guy has a Gen 1 G17 for sale and I was curious what the going rate for these is. I'm considering buying it... Input into this matter would be greatly appreciated

His words below

"This glock is seria EB dating it to 1988 to 1989. It still has all the black internal parts, never sent in for upgrades.

No, not new. It's worn down to the black stovepipe tennifer as most loved gen 1's of this age. Early serial number of EB. No major scratches, and the polymer is worn shiney, but all original including the original black internal parts. The front sight was changed to a FO and the rear is a Heinie. I can include an original U notch magazine body, but as it's high capacity cannot transfer the original internals unless you are LEO. But comes with 4 ten round mags. Slide, barrel and frame are all matching and the original. No box or papers.
    I've owned this one for over 20 years. Original trigger setup, clean breaking. Does not have the early pencil barrel, but the original barrel that this model came with the ATT code and austrain proof marks and matching serial."

2. Firecop203

Firecop203

The last one I bought about six years ago cost $425.00. Mine is an earlier model DKxxx. It had all original parts, papers, box and accessories.

From your description, but lack of stating location, I’m guessing you live in a ban state. Location does have an effect on price with those poor souls having to pay insanely high prices when they shouldn’t have to.

I’ve seen ads for the “pre-ban” magazines sell for $150.00 apiece in those states and I hope lightning will strike the sellers where they stand for their greed. I’m a firm believer of “what goes around comes around” and I think they will get theirs one day.

Ok, I’m off my soap box now.

3. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

It's worth money, but not the $700 some have paid for great condition ones with the box. People pay $100ish for those dang boxes.

I'd guess I'd consider $500 plus for that one, but not a number that would round up fast to $600.

He's done a good job describing the details & things that would matter to a hard core collector, so my guess is he also has a good idea of what they're selling for. He's likely sold the mags for a pretty penny already, hence the 10 rounders.

What are you thinking? Have you made an offer?

4. Night King

Night King

Thanks for the replies gentleman.

I'm in California, so I think he's high on the price but close considering where we live. He's at $675 right now. And from the pictures it looks pretty worn to me.

I also spend part of my year in Georgia. From what you guys are saying and my gut is telling me, I think I should just look around outside of CA for one.

I'd like to get into collecting these but I'm also not in a hurry to overpay for one.

rayzer007 likes this.
  5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I'd offer him $600, you never know. If all original/black internals, that's worth a bit of premium now that I think about it.

Night King likes this.
  6. Night King

Night King

Good to know. Ill shoot a message and see where he's at

7. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

I also missed that he'll provide the outer body of an original 17 round mag. That's a kinda' big deal where you live. Don't know if legal to get the body only, but if you can, nice. Of course, making it functional would be illegal (child's play to add the spring & follower) in CA, but when your car strays across the state border, you're set. Thinking about it, I'd now be willing to pay low to mid $600s, as long as it's not overly scratched up.

8. Night King

Night King

Yeah, CA is strange in a lot of ways with regards to what is legal and not with the mags. You can own high-cap mags as long as they are limited to 10rds.
    It has some wear marks on it. Not the cleanest thing around, but its also almost 30 years old. I'll get some pics

9. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

I saw a recent gunbroker auction where the seller listed a gen 1 with a single, darkly lit picture and a two line description. It sold for $700 with no box or mags...
    The prices have really escalated over the last year... Up to $2000 for NIB condition and even more if they have the pencil barrel. I realize most of us will not party these prices, but those are some recent, actual transactions to guide your decision.

glockhoarder and Night King like this.
  10. Night King

Night King

Thanks for the input LA. I think he's close on his asking but I think I'm going to hold off for now and keep my eyes on them for a bit.

The good news is, all this made me look at my current inventory and I didn't even realize I had a Gen 2 19 Austrian Proof sitting in my safe. I almost stippled the damn thing last year too. Good thing I left it alone.

PattonWasRight likes this.
  11. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Yikes! Yep, have one of the same. Me thinks the Gen 2's will become the next "one" to have. Great combo of refinement & "purity of purpose"

Night King and glockhoarder like this.
  12. Jimmer2

Jimmer2

Lightning strike the seller? Ha! Lightning strike the buyer! If someone wants to blow that kind of money on a magazine, that’s on them.
    I’ve sold those mags on GB, penny start, no reserve. Is that bad that I started it at a penny? It’s what people will pay..

13. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

Gen 2 Austrian proofed 19s are almost guaranteed to go over $600 already and I've seen them as high as $900 with the original box... So not quite as high as gen 1s, but that's still pretty good for a thirty year old used gun.

Night King likes this.
  14. Night King

Night King

That's good to hear about the 19's. Especially since I bought from a buddy 10 years ago for $300 bucks.

How about the Gen 2 22's? Worth messing with yet?

L.A.Tactical likes this.
  15. littletank

littletank

Yes, you can pick them up at really good prices.

16. L.A.Tactical

L.A.Tactical

It's impossible to say what might happen in the future, but at present, I've not seen any .40 cals be worth more than $400 on the used market. And model 22s are usually the cheapest given the same condition and generation. A couple exceptions exist like the ported RTF2s and to a much lesser extent, first serial runs.

The fact that police so heavily favored .40s in the past and have so heavily switched back to 9mm more recently means there is a glut of 22, 23, and 27s available for great prices. I can't see those ever being worth much on the collector market just because of the sheer number produced over the years. That being said, there's got to be close to a million gen 2 19s in circulation but they still bring more than new gen 5s... You just never know what the market will do.

For any .40s today, I wouldn't recommend them as good "investments," but if you're just wanting to collect variants, they're the cheapest way to get into the market.

17. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Great post LA Tac!! Very insightful.

L.A.Tactical likes this.