close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gen 1, G17 extractor little issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by roadkill46, Mar 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. roadkill46

roadkill46

Hi, i have a small issue. the Gen 1, G17 eats any ammo out there no issue. when i get home from work, i always eject the mag and then rack the slide and remove the chambered round. i'm using golden saber 124's and GD's right now. the problem is that if i don't rack it aggressively fast, the round will hang up on the lip of the front and kind of turn sideways and get stuck. only way of unsticking it is to press the slide front down on a table or something for the slide to get pushed back a little farther and then the round will release. it has a new captured RSA instead of the 2 part one which was pretty worn out. i worked the extractor in and out with a small nylon prod and put a drop of oil in there and the extractor did get stuck in the out position once. it has been detail stripped and cleaned since last firing. what do you think is causing this? need to replace the extractor spring?
    only does this on hand cycling, not firing. firing, it has not had a single issue in over 300 rounds last weekend. i do notice that the golden saber and gold dot hollow points are longer than the typical range fodder i feed it while practicing.
    any advice is appreciated.

2. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

"need to replace the extractor spring?"

Need to--probably not but it wouldn't hurt. Obviously, it shouldn't be doing this but at least there's no issues when firing. I'd replace the spring just to be on the safe side though; it's worth a couple bucks just to not worry IMO.

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

1. If at all possible, quite un-loading and re-loading your pistol. Load it and leave it be. You're taking a chance on having a cartridge develop a dangerous over-pressure from bullet set-back, which can lead to a KB.

2. Detail strip your slide, clean the area where the extractor sits, and clean your extractor. If something is broken with the extractor springs, you'll find it. It is best to NOT oil this area, as it will actually cause it to build up gunk faster.

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I think you'll find that the extractor is not the problem. I agree with M&P15T, don't unload it when you don't need to, and clean the oil out of the extractor/firing pin channel area of your slide.

When Glock first made the G17, they didn't design it with full over all length cartridges loaded with wide mouthed, hollow point bullets in mind (I'm not sure that such bullets even existed yet).

When ejecting such loaded rounds, the front end of said bullets could hang up on the barrel hood. Glock has since redesigned the barrel hoods so such rounds could be ejected more reliably.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

6. roadkill46

roadkill46

yep that is exactly what it is doing is catching on the wide mouth of the gold dot. i'm so used to unloading the gun when i get home and my granddaughter lives with us so i really only like certain guns in the house that are ready to shoot but are way out of the reach of small kids even with a ladder! there is no oil in the 'tunnel' i just detailed it night before last and the extractor is clean as it's going to get. i was wondering why the extractor would stick in an open position when the slide was locked back and i pushed on it from the inside, it kind of hung up in the 'open' position until i pushed it from the outside a little then it went back in. maybe another detail to see if the spring is hanging up somewhere, easy enough to do. when the slide was sent off to refinish they replaced all the springs that were worn in the slide but that was in my instructions to the refinisher, not on the service order though. i have a brand new LWD ported SS barrel for it, just sticks out 1/2 an inch more on the end and i don't remember if it hung up with that barrel in or not, i'll try tonite to see.

i have a system that the round i eject after i get home gets placed in another bullet tray that is labeled '1 time loaded', that tray is lined in half and the other half says '2nd time loaded'. once it has been loaded twice it goes into the box for the next range session as i don't want any bullet seating issues. although if i rack it like the devil slingshot style and not hand over the top it does not get stuck due to the slide moving faster using the slingshot method.

7. roadkill46

roadkill46

just came back from lunch and tested the 17 (this was made in Jan 86) took a gold dot and racked it in, took out mag, then did an overhand rack (know what i mean?) and the nose hung up on the hood, pushed the slide down on table, round came flying out. took same round, reloaded, took out mag and did a fast 'slingshot' unload, bullet came flying out with authority. changed barrels to my ported LWD, reloaded same round, did overhand unload, round came out no problem.
    looks to me like butch said about the full size hood. so i either not unload, or slingshot hard, or keep the new barrel in, adds more than 1/2, adds a full inch of barrel sticking out front of the slide. still no problem to CCW for me, I'm 6-4, 240 and a casual dress code at work, have not tucked in a shirt in the 16 years i've been here, so another inch is nothing (tell my wife that!).
    or i could just buy another normal size new version barrel. doesn't look like an extractor issue.
    thanx for all the advice though!

8. Butch

Whats the serial number prefix? The two letters...and, there should be three small letters to the right of the serial number on the barrel hood, what are they?

9. roadkill46

roadkill46

they are ETD on the barrel with the austrian proofs. S/N is EG72X

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. Butch

ETD translates to Jan 89....and fits with the EG prefix.

Had it been made in Jan 86, it would likely have had the smaller diameter 'pencil' barrel, and after market barrels would not fit the gun.

11. roadkill46

roadkill46

Ok thanx for the correction. another member here quoted me the other date. i did look up the diameter ID and OD for the pencil and mine was not it. but i am still assuming that they did not fix the hood issue due to having hang ups. my OE barrel looks just like your Gen one barrel hood.