Gen 1 G17 Accidental Find

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by Mdeng, Aug 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mdeng

Mdeng

A few years ago a friend offered to sell me a gently used G17. He was selling it to fund a new race gun for USPSA/IPSC. His price was reasonable and I had the money available so I helped him out. After all the paperwork was done (Maryland sucks) I brought it home cleaned it and put it in a safe with several other Glock 17's.

As an instructor I keep a small quantity of the most popular models on hand so each student can have the same model firearm during a class. It makes things easier on me. Anyway last month I was doing inventory and noticed that this particular handgun was a little different then the rest. Noticing the different sights, grip texture and U-notched magazine. This is what lead me to this forum.

Condition:
    • Finish is 95%
    • One blemish on frame at rear near slide.
    • Barrel shows some wear on top but none at the breech block.
    • I might have the original plastic box I have to search the attic.

What I know about my Gen 1 so far.
    • The magazine is original
    • The recoil spring is original
    • The trigger bar looks like it has been replaced (silver vs original black)
    • The sights are original
    • It has matching S/N's on frame, slide and barrel
    • It has Austrian proof marks on frame, slide and barrel
    • Manufacture date: January 1987 (per the proof ATY on barrel)
    The question I have now is what to do with it?
    • Put it away and hope the value goes up? ( I have plenty of others to shoot )
    • Treat it like the dozen or so other G17's I have and use it for security guard training? ( I never know when I will need one more gun on the line )
    • Sell it to a collector now? ( I don't really need the cash for anything )
    [​IMG]

macmulisha likes this.
  2. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Option 4 - Gift it to KWalrad out of the kindness of your heart.

That's a nice little find. If it were mine, I'd shoot it, clean it, repeat.
    Enjoy!

Glockdude1 likes this.

3. Mdeng

Mdeng

Ya not really feeling the give away option, sorry.

Shooting it is am option but I have other guns that live at the range with me. No reason to put more wear and tear on it at this time.

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree: :supergrin:

5. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Ooh.... I see what you did there. I see your Glockdude1, and raise you one KWalrad.:supergrin:

Glockdude1 likes this.
  6. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

As granddad used to tell grandma whenever he jackrabbit launched the C10 from the stoplight, "Sometimes ya' gotta burn the gunk outta the old girl!"

macmulisha likes this.
  7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

That's very awesome. I love stumbling across new information on guns I've owned for a long time. If I were you I'd tuck it away in the safe and shoot the other Glocks you have in lieu of the Gen 1.

8. Glockdude1

Mdeng,

What are the letters in front of the serial number on the frame?

:cool:

9. Mdeng

Mdeng

CR****

10. Glockdude1

CR: Jan 1988

:thumbsup:

11. Firecop203

Firecop203

My list of barrel date codes show ATY to be December 1987.

If it were me, I'd shoot it just for the fun of it. Keep it and pass it on to the kids.

12. tattooo

tattooo

Really nice brother. ......enjoy

13. TK-421

TK-421

It's a Glock, it's a utilitarian gun, not a collector's gun. The sole fact that it's old won't give it any value. Personally, I value a Gen 1 at less than a Gen 3, since the Gen 3 is an improved version, and I value used guns at 50-60% of new cost. So don't expect it to be worth anything extra just because it's old.

I'd treat it the same as any other Glock. Shoot it until it can't be shot or fixed anymore, then trash it and buy another.

If you can find someone foolish enough to pay you a premium just because it's old, then I say take the money and run.

14. Bello

Bello America/Italia

I wouldn't pay more then 400 for a gen 1

Glock Commander and Glockdude1 like this.
  15. premiertactical

premiertactical

I would not shoot it and absolutely save it as pristine as possible. Popularity drives collector interest. Glocks already are considered collectable in various models.
    Just try and find a 2nd gen 19 below what new ones cost.
    I saw a high 90s 19 gen 2 with box go for over $800.
    Not saying this is the standard, just it was tough to find an early production 19 for under $600.
    I must be a moron as I paid $700 for a completely correct 89 gen 1. All original black parts, 2 piece guide rod, and the overhanging rear sight. I had no issue paying the premium as I wanted a gen 1.
    I have an all correct gen 1 17 first year importation also. Along with a gen 2 17 first year import that has the all black parts also.
    Are Glocks collectable?.......... Unfortunantly me and a bunch others think so.

I finally got a Gen 2 later import 19.... Wanted bad an all black parts one.

Hillbilly john likes this.
  16. myglockisa23

myglockisa23 Silver Member

keep it... it's better than money in the bank....

17. gopguy

gopguy

Obviously there are folks who appreciate and collect the older Glocks. From the evidence here they are willing to pay for them, so much for personal views on the subject...

curlysir likes this.
  18. myglockisa23

myglockisa23 Silver Member

If it were unfired with the original box and papers, it could bring in excess of $750 depending on serial number, otherwise collectors still pay $500+ for them with the matching box.....I don't claim to be an authority but I've owned and sold many early Glocks, at least 20 or more with very early serial numbers AF, AL, BC.... one was in the group of the first 1000 imported to the US.....From what I see, yours is a shooter, so shoot it and enjoy it and keep it original....If you sell it, don't take less than $500 for it because there are collectors that will pay that or more or you could listen to those that told you otherwise and take much less... just because someone says that they wouldn't pay more than $300-400 for a Gen 1 doesn't mean that is the value of your pistol.....it is an opinion on the worth of a Gen 1 to that person....yours is worth what the market says its worth based on previous sales of Gen 1's..... Option 5... send it to me for Christmas.... I'll pay shipping too..... here's a link for some others I've owned and sold....

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/another-gen-1-checking-in.1535858/

Here's one I sold for more than $750....... AF prefix... and it sat in someones safe for many years until I got my hands on it.....For those that think they aren't collectible and have real value, I've seen G17's sell for as much as $1000 in this condition....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  19. gopguy

gopguy

One of two first Gen Glock 17s I have. Along with some other accouterments I had on hand. I know there are a couple mag pouches around but have not seen them since our move to the new house. Still in a box somewhere. I have used this and the other a lot over the last 28 years. I have lost count on the rounds through it. Never failed me until I went to Front Sight with a buddy 15 years ago. They suggested we bring a back up gun, at first I was not going to since neither had given me an issue but I knew Murphy's Law would kick in at some point. I am glad I took both of the guns. First day one developed an extractor issue and the other broke it's trigger return spring... swapped the uppers and used the Frankengun for the rest of the class. Final day the armorer came back to FS and fixed the guns for me. Not given me an issue since... they still shoot great. Perfection, no but not bad.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Glockdude1 likes this.
  20. littletank

littletank

Congratulations!!! Of course if you want to sell it I'd be happy to take it. I wish I could find one in good condition and or a gen 2 19. The hunt is half the fun..