Gen 1 Box and ‘86 manual on eBay

Discussion in 'Glock Collector's Club' started by patcrad, Jun 13, 2020.

1. patcrad

patcrad

glockhoarder likes this.
  2. mbar9607

mbar9607

I need that manual... lol

glockhoarder likes this.

3. Fishboy556

Fishboy556

This is going to be a good one........guarantee ☺!

glockhoarder likes this.
  4. Marcus99

Marcus99

I may catch flak for this but I think the high prices manuals and boxes are bringing are absolutely absurd. Were just that BE-prefix gun for sale, assuming clean original condition, it would probably sell for $800-1,000. A box and manual well over half the guns value and quite possibly approaching the value of the gun itself is not congruent with nearly any other firearm in this hobby as far as I know. Frankly I see the manuals and box prices as existing in a sort of vacuum being driven by a select few hardcore collectors outside of which these manuals and boxes wouldn't bring this sort of money.

Just my opinion

58sniper, davedc and fistagon like this.
  5. mtstream

mtstream

You're pretty much right on target regarding the vacuum. However large the collector market is, those collectors need boxes and manuals to get make their guns complete. I don't know why anyone but collectors would care about an old Glock box and manual. But it's no different than toy collectors paying more for a box than they would for the toy - simply because more toys survived than boxes. The price is because demand is higher than supply.

It's possible that demand is artificially low (and prices high) because the general public doesn't know those old manuals in the closet have value (or were they thrown away?). Only time will tell.

6. gunlove

gunlove

I agree. Colt Python boxes with manuals from the 1960’s don’t bring near a 1985 Glock manual at $1000. I think it’s more the demand and a few collectors going overboard.

davedc, premiertactical and Marcus99 like this.
  7. Fishboy556

Fishboy556

What I think is funny, is that people like to bash how other people spend their money. I believe geefal said it best - If you want it, and have the expendable funds to buy it, do so! Really there is only one person that needs to be happy here!

8. geefal

geefal

Priced an original early Luger box lately?

9. gunlove

gunlove

I'm no Luger collector, but I have never ever seen a Luger box!

10. patcrad

patcrad

“Nothing demonstrates fair market value better than a no reserve eBay auction."

- Abraham Lincoln (1861)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Aljames, norton, 58sniper and 5 others like this.
  11. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Sure makes me wish I had bought a 19 when I first heard of them and put it in the closet and forgot it until today.

davedc likes this.
  12. patcrad

patcrad

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Ole703

Ole703

Did anyone notice how the manual font is crooked? Must be a fake, not worth bidding on....

patcrad likes this.
  14. mbar9607

mbar9607

Well then I’ll just have to dispose of it for someone then

davedc and glockhoarder like this.
  15. geefal

geefal

exactly :) Last one I knew of for sale was around $6000 and it was not real great condition. Last really nice one I have seen sell for a early 1900's commercial went for $18,000 and change. In comparison the guns themselves run $1500 to $4000 (dependent on many many factors). Manuals are easily $1500 for originals and even good fakes sell for hundreds. Another example is I have a mint Sauer 38h with Nazi police markings. Probably a $800 gun on its own. But. It also has the original extra magazine, original matching police issued manual, original matching police issued holster. It would not be a out of line statement to state that the original accessories add significantly more to the value of the gun than what the base value of the gun is.

So this is not a unique thing.

But what we have here is groundfloor opportunity to have complete sets for the future. I could get into why these (Glock pistols) are on the upswing (re. collector interest) but we have covered that pretty well here many many times.

patcrad, glockhoarder and gunlove like this.
  16. mtstream

mtstream

With Lugers, if you have a $4k gun and complete it with $6k in accessories, is your complete gun now worth $10k? Or is it like the current Glock market where you $4k Luger + $6k accessories results in a $7k complete gun?

The fact that financially, one would currently be so much better off breaking up an original Glock set really bothers me.

glockhoarder and gunlove like this.
  17. geefal

geefal

Same the world round, it always costs more to complete a set than what a complete set is worth. Exceptions to that are something immensely rare on its own (like Georg Luger's personal pistol would be worth more as a complete set than parted out).

Silly stuff, but it is what it is. A key factor is that people are willing to pay out the nose to satisfy that OCD drive to complete things at a higher level than what they are willing to pay for a complete set.

It is the death of a thousand cuts thingy.

"$5000 asking price for a complete Glock 17 AF, bah he is nuts" (but then same person proceeds to pay close to $6000 for everything to complete the Glock 17 AF he bought for $2200 but has nothing and needs all the upgrade parts replaced, but hey, the rear sight was only $150, and the right magazines were ONLY $300 and so forth and so on). Or my personal favorite. Starting bid of $3250 for a gun and no one touches it, but one in worse shape without a matching box starts at a dollar bid and finishes at $4000.

The one thing I have learned after years of selling stuff like this. People / the market are nuts. Just the way it is. (and not picking on anyone either, I have done the same thing, I have paid an embarrassingly large amount of money for the correct set of Menuki to correctly restore a old Japanese sword, enough so that I will NEVER get it back if I were to sell the sword)

patcrad, gunlove and glockhoarder like this.
  18. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

I hear what you're saying. However, the market is the final arbiter or value. The manuals, boxes, etc consistently bring what they do. They are worth, by definition, what they bring.

I've also been mystified how the box, manual, etc on ebay sometimes brings as much if not more than a gun (non PB at least) on GB. Further, we've all seen complete non-pb G1s go for far less than they would if the gun were sold on GB and the rest on ebay.

The only thing that I can think of is that ebay has an absolutely huge buyer base many of whom may not know about GB. There are clearly a lot of folks with older guns who want to complete the set. This is great in my book as the more that the hobby grows the far better for us value and fun wise.

19. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

LOVE IT!!

20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Sorry for so many posts w/quotes but this is a great thread with great posts.

I always very much enjoy and value geefal's thoughts on collectibles. In particular, I would suggest that folks pay particular attn to this ground floor comment. THIS is where any colletor should want to be!!! FAR better to recognize the early stages of a given firearm becoming a classic collectible than to only realize and get in on the hobby later when it is more well established and the quality early material is extremely expensive. Examples abound in many hobbies. The days of dirt cheap quality early (and other rare) Glocks is over. However, I think that in as little as a decade prices that really turn heads now will be the if only I had known prices then.