Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me, I can't decide between the two. The longest distance I will shoot will be 200 yards. Most will be 100 yards or less, but want a very smooth trigger release,
Also want a quick reset, but will be doing no three gun. Maybe some of you who have shot both, could be a help?

· Registered
5,485 Posts
I am struggling with the same decision.
+1 so am I . I am glad you started this thread .

I have dry fired both of them in my LGS . The SSA-E is very light to me and crisp . It would be great for targets or varmints , but it might be to light for me in a defense rifle . The SSA at 4 1/2 lbs. would still be the lightest trigger I have except for maybe by muzzleloader rifle .

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 so am I . I am glad you started this thread .

I have dry fired both of them in my LGS . The SSA-E is very light to me and crisp . It would be great for targets or varmints , but it might be to light for me in a defense rifle . The SSA at 4 1/2 lbs. would still be the lightest trigger I have except for maybe by muzzleloader rifle .

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see I'm not by myself. The problem is they cost too much to "try and see." I haven't had any friends that purchased because of the cost, so I've never shot either. I'd like for someone who has much experience with AR's who has shot both to chime in. I am well aware of the milspec trigger on my colts, and I want to replace with a Geissele, but which one? I'm an experienced shooter, but trying to get a smooth release and quick reset. But I don't want to make a 220.00 dollar mistake.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either would be good, but keep it simple and go SSA, it really is a great trigger and HUGE improvement over mil spec.
Thanks Gunner and all replies. I understand the SSA is a great improvement over the milspec, but was hoping if I ordered that, I would wish later I had gone a step further and gotten the SSA-E. Oh well, "man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble".

· Registered
1,309 Posts
I would suggest either the G2S (http://geissele.com/geissele-2-stage-trigger.html) or the SSA-E.

Once installed you will never know the difference between the $165 G2S and the $220 SSA. I recently put a G2S in my Colt and it was a huge improvement over the stock trigger. I would have rather had the SSA-E but could not justify the additional cost. I only use my AR as a range gun so it is hard for a trigger to be too light. It rarely has a round chambered that is not sent downrange seconds later. If the rifle for was going to be used for home defense, hunting or police purposes I would not want anything lighter than the G2S/SSA.

If you have never tried a Geissele 2 stage trigger they feel like a good single stage trigger with some take up. The first stage is extremely smooth with no grit until hits the second stage which breaks cleanly.

When I was trying to decide which trigger to buy I found the following video worth the half hour it took to watch.

· NRA Life Member
5,816 Posts
I question myself on this everytime they go on sale. I had the opportunity to dry fire both at the PA outdoor show and it is close except for the 2nd stage break and reset. The SSA-E has that edge

· Registered
5,485 Posts
Thanks Gunner and all replies. I understand the SSA is a great improvement over the milspec, but was hoping if I ordered that, I would wish later I had gone a step further and gotten the SSA-E. Oh well, "man that is born of woman is of few days and full of trouble".
Buy it from Brownells , they will take it back for any reason .

· Registered
3,896 Posts
I went back and forth between the Two before finally ordering the ssa-e. First of all I expected a two stage trigger to have two walls to push through or two clicks, but the first stage is just the pretravel ( about 1/4" ) then you hit a wall and push a little more for the break.
I was afraid a two stage trigger would be difficult to fire fast. Well it's even faster than stock. After all the ssa and ssa-e are conbat triggers.
Anyway the ssa-e is very, very LIGHT and crisp. To me the pretravel feels like a pound and the break feels like 1/4 pound.
I'm happy with the ssa-e, but if I was ordering another for a regular 16" rifle I'd go with the ssa. I suspect even the ssa is way lighter and crisper than stock.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
I prefer the SSA-E to the SSA. Because it's a 2 stage trigger, and I do not find the -E to be too light for a general purpose AR.

· Registered
2,778 Posts
I have about a dozen Geissele triggers. And Honestly, I like the SSA and G2S. And from what I learned, Depending on how "tight" the rifle is, will change how the pull feels, I even emailed them about the pull on one of my triggers felt heavier than the rest. And they sent me new springs, and told me the lower's tightness can effect that. As far as the SSA-E and SD-E, i have them and feel they are great target trigger. Feels great in my 308 rifles that will be shot from a rest/bipod. I actually took my SD-E out of one my of SBR's and replaced it with a SSA, b/c the trigger was too light for any stressful shooting.

I suggest you go single stage if you want a FAST trigger, but with any of these 4.5# or less triggers, its easy to shoot quickly.

BTW, about you not wanting to take the 220 dollar plunge twice just to try them out, guess what? When you buy one, you'll end up putting on in EVERY rifle.

· NRA Life Member
13,820 Posts
I own both. The E is a little lighter and breaks more cleanly. Otherwise they are about the same. If you listen to Giessele he says the SSA breaks like you are bending a carrot. Its not a crisp, clean break and its not meant to be. The E version is crisp and clean. If you make it any harder than that you worked too hard.

Some folks with not much trigger time on a match rifle will tell you the SSA is a crisp trigger. Its not. Its not a bad trigger. But its not exactly a clean break. Its certainly better than most any GI trigger and also better than most other triggers. But its not what would call a glass rod break. More like the owner describes...the carrot thing. The SSA is a superb duty trigger. Lastly most of the rest of the stuff like reset etc is the same.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I own both. The E is a little lighter and breaks more cleanly. Otherwise they are about the same. If you listen to Giessele he says the SSA breaks like you are bending a carrot. Its not a crisp, clean break and its not meant to be. The E version is crisp and clean. If you make it any harder than that you worked too hard.

Some folks with not much trigger time on a match rifle will tell you the SSA is a crisp trigger. Its not. Its not a bad trigger. But its not exactly a clean break. Its certainly better than most any GI trigger and also better than most other triggers. But its not what would call a glass rod break. More like the owner describes...the carrot thing. The SSA is a superb duty trigger. Lastly most of the rest of the stuff like rese

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I really appreciate all the input, fellows. I'm going to find where I can put hands on some of the geissele options.
That would help me tremendously. Like some of you have said, whichever I get, I'm sure I'll be satisfied, because
I won't have the other to compare it to.,:laughabove:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.