close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Geezer Bikes Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jack_Pine, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

We bought a seasonal place if Florida. We are looking for a couple of bicycles to tool around the subdivision and maybe some bike paths. We ride some at home. Not super long road trips but we ride a pretty much.

Want gears, flat handle bars. Don't think we want "fat" tires because they don't seem to "zoom".

So, what type of bikes/brand and how much should I be looking at paying? Want something quality but can't wee paying some of the cash I see in bike shops....

Like I told someone...don't want a "basket bike" but won't be wearing any tight fitting colored shorts either. Something in the middle.

Opinions?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. billkill

billkill

I would get an el-cheapo Walmart mountain bike.

3. cyphertext

cyphertext

4. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

they look nice. Did you get them at a shop or a box store? Also, what makes the insight 3 better?

5. cyphertext

cyphertext

We got them at a box store...Dick's Sporting Goods. But they have been serviced at a local bike shop. Not top of the line, but they have served us well. We rode them on a 50 mile ride for cancer with my son's Boy Scout troop. We ride 15 to 20 miles on them for recreation and exercise.

6. cyphertext

cyphertext

Thought I would add that we paid much less in store than what they are listed on the web page. We paid $300 each. My wife's was on clearance as it was an older model, but it was the top of the line for Insight at the time. Originally was prices at $700. Mine was just on sale from $350 down to $300.

Our local bike shop does the annual tune ups for us.

7. cyphertext

cyphertext

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

If I was going to store the bike outside - any chance someone will steal it - I would get a WM bike - then spend $25 to get a better seat.

My WM mountain bike is still going strong after 10+ years.

Only problem (besides the butt hurting seats) is the cheap inner-tubes they come with - when you get a flat - replace the tube with a better quality one.

9. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

They will be garaged but we did look at the WM models. Schwinn "bike path' models. The diamond Backs look like the quality is better but they are close to twice as much.

Unless i could catch a sale like cyphertext did. The specialized look nice but very pricey. I see that the shop in the next town down there carries them.

There is a Sports authority and Dicks within range.

10. cyphertext

cyphertext

Sorry, didn't see this part earlier...

The Insight 3 is better due to higher quality components. She has carbon forks,better drive train, and better brakes than mine. Her bike is considered respectable entry level by all of our road bike friends.

11. cyphertext

cyphertext

Check out Dick's. The stores here often have last years models and the managers will typically deal to move the old merchandise.

12. OUSooner

OUSooner

I would get a hybrid if I where you. A light weight frame, flat bars, hybrid tire. I really like my Fuji.

[​IMG]

13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

What you want is a comfort bike/commuter bike. You want a wide soft seat and upright handlebars to take the pressure off your arms and shoulders.

Take a look at the Specialized Expedition. Very comfortable to ride. My wife rides her 15-20 miles almost every day and I couldn't get her on a bike before buying this one. Hers was new in March, I've had mine for 7-8 years (it is a bit different than the newer models). I ride mine 20-30+ miles every day. It is not a bike for nerds nor is it a racer or road bike. It is however one you can ride everyday and for a long time.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multiuse/expedition/expedition

Other companies have similar bikes. Look around.

14. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

That expedition looks good and not as pricey as i thought. Will check that out also. thanks.

15. ARP

ARP

find a Performance Bike shop or look them up online before going to the store. They have good quality bikes that should last you a lifetime if taken care of, one time buy experience.

Here is how the bike world works these days. Almost ALL frames are built in a few factories in China or Taiwan. They get painted and then the individual companies have the decals put on. Obviously individual companies have the frame built to their specs so not all are created equal. Components. Individual companies decide what level of components will go on and meet a price point that they can make a buck on. Saddles are where ALL companies cut corners on because most people that are somewhat serious about riding will buy and put on a saddle that fits them best. My most comfortable saddles are a Brooks Pro old school leather sling type saddle(forms to your arse like a leather shoe to your foot) or a Selle San Marco Regal, old school style that fits me nice. Saddle alone can make the difference in riding a junk bike all day in comfort or have it being a medieval torture device.

Wheels and tires. 700mm wheels/tires are pretty much standard equipment. Racers are using 23mm.(width or profile) You are not a racer. The smallest tire you should look for is 32-35mm road tire, not a knobby off road. They can be pumped up hard to give you less rolling resistance or backed off in psi a little to give you some cushion, less jarring of a ride.

You say you want gears, i'll throw this out to you. I used to ride a lot. Even now if I go out for less than 30 miles I feel like I'm wasting my time, I need to get back into the joy of the short ride, 15 to 20 miles. I own multiple bikes from the $4000 titanium/CF wunder bike with pro level components to a 1980 Schwinn classic solid chrome frame with fenders to single speed 1 gear bikes. I ride the single speeder at about the same speed as I do the super bike and have to work harder on the geared bike to get as good of a work out as on the single speeder. The single speeder is harder work getting up over the hills with it, but the simplicity of it is enchanting. Over time the single speeder makes me faster on the geared bike, better conditioning. Oh the best thing about the single speeder, waaaay cheaper than the geared bikes. And you can swap out the rear or front gears to make them easier to spin, changes the gear ratio.

16. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Good info and post defiantly something things to think about.
    you may be right about the gearing thing. It is very flat in central fl.

One thing I did not mention is that I am 6-2 an 210 lbs. When riding in the past i always feel like my back tire is riding low. I know it my heft and maybe I need more psi, but seems like I don't coast as far/fast as i think I should.......

Anyway don't know if bike choice is affected by my size.

Thanks for the input.

17. Sundog

Sundog Thread Killer

[​IMG]

A little pricey ($540 msrp) but a great bike with the features you seek.

18. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    You're over 200 lbs, don't bother with a big box store where they specialize in ice chests and golf clubs.
    Go to real bicycle shops, including Performance as the entry level among them. Test ride a few bikes.
    If possible, find a shop that is into bicycle racing, because they would have no shortage of enthusiastic mechanics.
    Getting the correct size is very important, better than saving $80 on some leftover reject..

Consider hybrids from all the major companies, with the Trek 7.3 FX being among the most popular. It's somewhere around $600, but maybe you can find a $500 bike to meet your needs, or maybe a $700 bike will spin your pedals.

When you're miles from home you'll enjoy a quality bike a lot more. It's worth the difference.

Someday you'll buy padded shorts, you can hide them under thin running shorts if you are shy.
    Then more money for bottle bracket and bottle, helmet and gloves, maybe cycling shoes, maybe clipless pedals, comfy clothes, lights, luggage, it can add up if you are having fun.
    But lots of bikes just gather dust instead of getting ridden, because someone made a mistake.

19. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

I really appreciate all of the input.

Man, this is why i am so indecisive. There are so many choices and levels of quality. I think we are leaning into the low end of the higher quality bikes, if that makes sense. I am starting to think in the 5-600 range (I will have to get her head around that). Good news is that she is pushing for this so when we retire we can ride a lot more. She is a fitness nut, I am more casual about it. (but I do like riding, at least you get somewhere)

so many brands..........................

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

A bike to ride around the block - 5 miles a day - just for a little fun - get out of the house and take a ride.

Go to a bike shop and buy couple of $700 bikes.

:rofl:

Maybe go buy a USED bike that needs a little work for only $475! :rofl::rofl::upeyes:

Unless you weight over 250 pounds - any 26/27 inch bike will be fine.

If you end up riding 50 - 75 miles a day you can always upgrade.:upeyes:

But really only 1 out of 10,000 will ever wear out a WM -Academy - Sports Authority - Dicks - Target bike. :wavey: