close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

geese with a stickbow

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jamieray, Mar 4, 2003.

1. jamieray

jamieray

thinking of trying to take a goose in the air with by longbow this year anyone ever try it or have any advice.

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

My only advice is to get some fun out of it, because fun is about the only thing you will get! ;)

3. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

jamieray,

Man, first of all let me say that what 'Michigun' said, cracked me up :)

#2... It will be fun, that is for sure. Since you asked, i'll add this.

I would use a 'flu-flu arrow,' with the feathers trimmed down about a 1/4 % of their original size. That way you will still keep track of the arrow,(should you miss), but at the same time still have enough speed and distance to hit something, if you can get them in close enough for a decent shot......

Just a thought!
    Let us know what happened!

BTW... I would have someone take some 'stiff cardboard disk', about the size of paper pie plates, with a little weight gluled on the back, stand off to the side and throw them in the air across in front of you...then practice your heart out!

CanyonMan

4. Kilgor

Kilgor American Millennium Member

Make sure there isn't anyone where that arrow is coming down.

Also check game laws and make sure it's legal.

5. hank_rearden

hank_rearden Polyhistor

do you plan to sneak up close or let them come to you in a cammo blind?

6. jamieray

jamieray

xpress boat and averyblind

7. TriggerTripper

TriggerTripper

I have a friend who hunts geese (and everything else) with a compound bow. He typically sets up decoys in the middle of a field and hides about 70 yards away from the spread in a thick weed line. In his particular setup, the geese like to cicle the field to land and fly over the weed line, which is thick enough he can shoot from the kneeling postion without causing alot of noticable movement. He only shoots if the geese are directly overhead, and he leads them a looong way. He says the best part is that taking a shot and missing doesn't tend to scare the geese, sometimes they circle two or three times within his range and he shoots at them with each pass. (it really ticks him off when they dive straight into the decoys and doesn't get a shot)
    He uses the same arrow set up he does for deer. If he misses, the arrows typically end up sticking almost straight up and down in the ground so they're easy to find, says he doesn't loose very many arrows.

It's a nice field close to the river, and draws alot of geese so he gets plenty of shooting, but doesn't bring down alot of geese. typically six or seven a year from hunting two or three times a week most of the season. But he swears it's a hundred times funner than with a shotgun. I bet you could achieve similar results with a long bow given a little luck and lots of practise. If you're like most people and like to shoot at geese much more killing and eating them, it might just be the way to go. And if you did get one, think of the bragging rights :)

Best of luck