close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Geek Squad???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by nu2carry, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nu2carry

nu2carry

Two things I need some help with…

First my work laptop has taken to a really annoying habit of scrolling whenever I touch the pad (not touch tapping) just scrolling I checked all the settings and the auto scroll is not on…It just recently started doing this and I have changed nothing….Help, please…

Also, I posted some time back that my daughter is really bent on working with computers but really does not want to go to college…I have explained that she would go much further with a degree…I still have time to convince her of this since she is only 15 now but she really wants to work in computers…What is a good avenue for someone with this profile? What are the “Big money” areas for the next 30 years…One of the counselors at her school said that she thought information technology security had a good future?

Thanks…

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Sorry, can't help you with your first question. However, as for the second:

I have a BBA in Management Information Systems. Having a degree did not help me get my job, but it will come in handy when I do decide to move on as this is my first "real" job and is mainly for experience. However, holding a college degree will open up many more doors for me as well as help me reach higher tax brackets. It helps show potential employers that I was willing to work hard for four years for a silly piece of paper ;) , how much harder, then, would I work for actual pay?

As a teacher of mine once put it:

You can pay for it now or you can pay for it later. Either way you're going to pay in life at some point.

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

"daughter is really bent on working with computers but really does not want to go to college"

Clearly, she's young and has not much information.

You can "work with computers" and be a data entry clerk making minimum wage. You can "work with computers" and be Bill Gates.

Back when I was in school, they made us take aptitude tests to see
    what we wanted to be. I wanted to be a forest ranger. I work with computers now.

Good luck raising her. My oldest daughter spoiled me. She is goal-oriented and has never had a moment of uncertainty about what she wanted to do. It's changed a few times, but it always been clear that she was going to reach the goal she had. Her goal right now requires that she graduate from nursing school. After she does so in December, she will enter the middle class at the tender age of 20.

Just keep loving her, applaud her every effort, congratulate her every achievement. Eventually you will understand that every day she spends alive and out of jail is a wonderful day.

4. nu2carry

nu2carry

What do you do in the industry? Where do you see yourself going? Where is the future in the industry as you see it?

I completely understand the importance of higher education...
    I got my MBA 25 years ago and worked in the corporate world until 1998 when I left to start my own business…

She is a good student but absolutely hates school…She is definitely driven to exceed and be good at whatever she does she just thinks school is a complete waste of her time and hates the social scene…Now if school involves gaining knowledge in computers then she is into it…The rest she can do without…

She went to private school for middle school but wanted to go to public school for high school…She is on a campus of 6000 kids and there are a lot of losers there…Michigan has not come to grips with the fact the high paying factory jobs are history…So our public school system leaves a lot to be desired, to say the least…

I am thinking technology schools when she graduates…I see they do offer bachelor degrees at some of those schools…I would like to see her go to U of M but will let her come to grips with the importance of a degree…

5. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Or like your subject says.

She can go work for the Geek Squad and make $13.00 and hour.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

According to Forbes, 20 of the 100 highest-paying professions are teaching-related. We're entering post-industrial era where information transfer is one of the most important instruments of progress. I think she should consider that field.

I think one should also consider the fact that those jobs are among some of the least likely to be offshored - an important consideration in this (like it or not) global economy.

7. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Take a closer look at the information superhighway you are using to gather information on right now!

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I just got my degree in computer science. Although sometimes everyone seems to have a degree in CS, without it, I would be making half what I'm making now.

Big money is in healthcare. If she likes hardware, get a degree in computer engineering and build stuff for the medical industry. If she likes software, get a degree in computer science and write medical-specific software.

9. nu2carry

nu2carry

Now that is the best advice I have seen so far...She could definitely learn how to write software…Now I just have to keep pushing the degree thing..

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Mind you, a lot of programming jobs are going to China, Russia, and other countries. It is an easily offshored profession.