close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gear Review - Alpinestar & BMW denim riding jeans

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by fnfalman, Feb 9, 2007.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For putting around town and the occasional jaunts to work, hauling leather pants/textile pants around get to be inconvenient, so I've been exploring some alternative street pants. I'm too paranoid to wear regular denim or khaki, so I was checking into the riding denims. Draggin' Jeans are hard to find and I didn't want to buy something that I can't touch and examine, so it came down toAlpine Star , Joe Rocket , and Icon . I understand that Shift also makes jeans but it is pretty much the same as with Draggin Jeans with the availability issue.

Out of the offerings from Alpine Star, Joe Rocket and Icon, I chose the Alpine Star because it has CE-approved knee cups and it IS made by Alpine Star which is well known for good quality. The jean is cut loose fit with the carpenter-style (i.e. hammer loop, pencil/level pockets). I am very disappointed with the lack of information at A-Star's website. I don't know what the weight of the denim is, nor the material that the abrasion resistant liner is made out of. But upon inspection, the whole unit has a good "heft" to it. Not too scientific, but I am ready to put my trust in A-Star's reputation.

Since that I am a fatso, I had to go with the size 38 (which does not correspond to a 38 waist but more like a 40 waist). The legs are very long (once again I don't know if the legs are all cut the same length throughout the waist sizes or shorter with smaller waist size), which is good because I can bob about 3-inches off the hem and still have plenty of hang-off so that the legs won't ride up past the boots when I'm on the saddle.

The fit is loose and comfortable. Maybe too loose? But A-Star claimed that it's "engineered" loose fit, whatever that means. The coloring isn't consistent as you guys can see: one pants is darker blue than the other. The abrasion liner extends past the knees in the front and form pockets for the knee cups. In the back it extended past the buttocks and half way down the thigh.

The denim itself is typical of modern jeans that come pre-washed because it's already soft and pliable. Comfortable to wear right away. The "poly" (their words, not mine) liner makes for decent windbreaker and I can tell that this pants will be warmer than standard denim in the summer.

MSRP is $99 but I got for much less at MotorHelmets.com, my favored gears dealer. A-Star also makes a cargo pants in the similar manner but has more pockets and more ventilation for MSRP $119.

I guess I can't complain much about the pants (bought 2-pairs) and hope that I won't have to put it to The Test - knock on wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I also bought a pair of BMW "jeans" and I use this word loosely. The Inotex is a two-piece suit from BMW that has the cut of Levi's 501 pants and Levi's denim jacket. The material looks like denim, feels like denim, but apparently is not denim and is a fancy hi-tech proprietary compound.

I only bought the pants for those long day rides that I don't mind wearing the typical leather riding jacket and then lock the jacket up to the bike and wear the pants like regular jeans. I'm not particularly self-conscious but wearing full leathers; especially colorful full leathers, into department stores, grocery stores, stopping for a movie, etc., well, is kinda weird. When I ride in the weekend, I don't come home until way after the cows come home. After canyon cutting, I would do my errand runs and whatever else I need to do (shopping for ammo!). You gotta do what you gotta do, but if I can get a serious riding pants that look like regular pants...voila!!! Problems solved.

The pants isn't cheap (MSRP at $325) and its cut is exactly like the 501 Levi's. Narrow, straight legs, butt hugging and longish so that the legs won't ride up the boots. The waist fits me fine but slightly tight around the crotch because of the straight cut. Well, I was looking for an excuse to lose some weight anyway.:animlol:

The inside is lined with mesh like a typical leather/textile suit. It even has zipper on the back of the waistline in order to attach to the riding jacket. There are pockets for hip armour that one can purchase as extra. Alas, I'll have to lose some serious weight before I can squeeze in the hip armour.:sad: The knee cups are CE-approved but very different than the A-Star CE knee cups. The A-Star cups are made out of seemingly cheap-looking foams that look like styrafoam coffee cups while the BMW CE cups look like they're made out of rubberized materials - the same paddings that go into my custom leather suits.

As you guys can see from the photo, the knee cups can be adjusted vertically by probably around 2-inches by closing one end or the other of the pocket to raise or lower the cups.

Even though the pantlegs are as long as the A-Star jeans, I won't have to bob the hems because the straight cut bunches the legs up around the boots instead of loose and dragging on the ground like the loose-fit jean cut of the A-Star and other loose-cut denims. I really need to lose some fat.:sad:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]