close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gear Heads: Input on K&N Air Intake Kits?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LSUAdman, Apr 26, 2013.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Okay gear heads - I'd like to hear some opinions. I have an older Jeep, an XJ Cherokee 2000. She still runs like a champ, and I credit that to me taking good care of her, especially in the past few years.

In an effort to get as much umph out of her as possible and to keep her running for another couple of years, I've been upgrading a few parts.

One upgrade I see and hear about often is swapping out the stock air intake with a K&N Cloth Air Intake Kit ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/57-1518-Fuel-Injection-Performance-Intake/dp/B000AP8ENU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1JO74HO7JXXGL&coliid=I2PAUSP06FPFAU"]K&N 57-1518 Fuel Injection Performance Kit Gen2 Air Intake Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41zmRErT14L.@@AMEPARAM@@41zmRErT14L[/ame]).

However, recently I've been reading that for the cost, you really don't get any real performance. One or two people have told me recently that the whole thing is a gimmick and not worth the money.

So what's the truth? Useful or not worth it?

For what it's worth - this is for my daily drive vehicle. No off roading, just standard city driving.

2. farnorthwintercamper

farnorthwintercamper

Cert. mechanic here.. Have built a ton of serious motors through the yrs.

You asked....

All hat no cattle....

3. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Unless you've done other upgrades to the engine and the stock air box is now a restriction, the gains aren't really worth it.

If you really want that style of air filter, look into S&B. A lot better quality.

4. elsolo

elsolo

If your car/truck is faster, it's because your wallet is lighter.

5. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

From what I have read and understand the benefits on newer cars is short lived, as the computer adjusts for the increased air.

6. farnorthwintercamper

farnorthwintercamper

Well... Let us be fair, There is an increase... A increase in noise.

7. XshooterX

XshooterX

What other mods are you doing? Freeing up the intake is one of those things that can be a complete waste of time and money, or an absolute necessity depending on what else you are sound to the engine. My guess is that you don't need it. But I don't know what else you've done.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. Kawabuggy

Kawabuggy

Can't speak from experience with use on cars, but in the dirtbike world people say that they DO flow more air at the expense of allowing more dirt to get through the filter & into your engine.

NO ONE that I know that rides dirt bikes uses, or recommends using, K&N for this sport.

Cars & trucks? I'd save my money and put it towards headers and/or cat back exhaust, or just a freer flowing exhaust system. That will probably see a bigger improvement in horsepower than a performance air filter.

9. XshooterX

XshooterX

10. Adjuster

Adjuster

Nothing wrong with more good clean air but why pay for the K&N name brand. Plenty of quality no name intakes on Ebay and many people build their own. And I have heard many complaints concerning the additional unexpected noise of any aftermarket intake.

/

/

11. Copake

Copake

DON'T DO IT. Complete BS that the engine will "breath better" allowing more power. At less than wide open throttle AND max rpm, will make absolutely no difference.
    They are MUCH louder.
    They are OILED filters -- and there are too many reports of Mass Airflow Sensors and other intake parts being gunked up.

12. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Okay, looks like I dodged a bullet on this one.

I'm not into performance boosting - just keeping the old girl running nice and happily for as long as possible. If all this is going to do is turn money into noise, then I'm definitely gonna skip out on it.

Big thanks everyone!

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Surprising thread, and I agree. K&N filters are good for one thing... Separating folks from their money.

14. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Someone told me (I can't confirm it) that the Allison autos on GM trucks go out with air filter changes. Something about the MAF sensor triggering the shift points...HH

15. 07 LMB Z06

07 LMB Z06

In K&N's defense (and any other quality brand of oiled filters for that matter) that is probably more a result of user error than the actual product. The filter needs a light coat of oil; it doesn't need to be dripping wet. Over-oiling is usually the cause of the sensor issues.

When I bought my car two years ago the previous owner had already installed an AFE intake. It had no issues up to that point, and it has had none for my two years of ownership. I have cleaned and oiled the filters four times.

A side benefit is a change in the exhaust note. It's not rice-burner loud by any means. It's slightly louder at low rpms until the exhaust flap closes and slightly louder at the higher end when it opens back up. Another guy I know has the same car I do but he put straight pipes on his. I've gotten many compliments on my exhaust note and I hear from others that his sounds terrible. The point is, absolute statements such as the two bolded above are not always accurate.

Power gains will vary depending on the intake and your particular setup, but as others have said your factory intake is probably optimized for your stock engine. Unless you are doing other mods, gains will probably be minimal (single digits) to nonexistent.

16. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

I've been around the Duramax/Allison since '01, never heard of a MAF failure smoking the transmission. I've put a lot of oiled filters on Diesels, lower EGT's being the goal, and the only transmission failures I've seen on them were due to the other power adders.

17. Adjuster

Adjuster

18. Big_Grumpy

Big_Grumpy Go Cheese!

I've bought just the filters before, but never an intake kit. My reasoning was that if it flows a little better, great. Also you can wash them out and re-use them when they get dirty instead of buying new filters, which might save you some money in the long run.

As far as performance increases, very negligible on the stock motors I've used them on.

19. OdinIII

OdinIII

I was riding to the store with a guy from work while he was bragging about his increased mileage because of the "tornado" he had installed in his and his wife's car. A few minutes later his phone rings and his Wife is at the dealer and tells him that the mechanic says that the "tornado" is the problem and they had removed it. His whole attitude about the tornado changed after that. I bet the increased mileage was imagined also.

20. OdinIII

OdinIII

Many young guys at my work remove their factory cold air intake ducts which pull in cool outside air and replace it with an under hood "cold air intake" which pulls in hot air. I've never really understood that.