close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gazpacho

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Norman, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

I did a search for gazpacho on GT, and found nothing, so it appears I need to lay down the recipe for my gazpacho here on the Food Forum for you guys.

Alright, here's how it's done. Very simple, really.

Norman's Summer Gazpacho

Ingredients: (serves 6 small/medium bowls)

~ 75% of a whole, peeled small garlic bulb (the height & width of the length of a AA battery)
    1 average sized cucumber
    1 average sized green pepper
    ~ 2 lbs. of very red tomatoes (I use 8 "on-the-vine" tomatoes)
    ~ 4 oz. Extra Virgin Cold-Pressed Olive Oil (the best you can afford)
    ~ 2 oz. (or to your liking) of quality Balsamic Vinegar. Balsamic! Nothing else, you sinners.
    ~ a handful of a fresh loaf of French bread (~5 inches of loaf)
    ~ 2 tablespoons of salt (not mountains, just fill the spoon)

*Cut this recipe in half if you just want about 3 bowls*

Instructions:

First, a note. You absolutely need the amount of tomatoes, garlic, cucumber, and green pepper that I listed. The amounts of oil, vinegar, and salt, are educated estimations of what I use, so I listed the ingredients in the order that I chop or mix them in the blender. You can adjust those amounts to your liking and tastebuds. I love my oil and vinegar, but the amount I listed above should be fine for both you and me. Use the best quality ingredients you can afford for gazpacho.

Very, very easy, here it is...

1. Peel about 75% of the garlic cloves in your bulb. Remember, not a large bulb, just something about the same height and width as the length of a AA battery (for universal size recognition). Throw in blender and chop.
    2. Peel and slice your cucumber. Throw in blender and chop.
    3. Gut and slice your green pepper. Throw in blender and chop.
    4. Peel or not peel your tomatoes. That's up to you. I don't peel mine. Quarter them up, throw in blender, and chop.
    5. Add your ~4 oz. of extra virgin cold pressed olive oil into the blender. Mix.
    6. Add your ~2 oz. of balsamic vinegar into the blender. Mix.
    7. Add your French bread in smaller pieces. Chop.
    8. Add 2 tablespoons of salt. Not heaping tablespoons. You can add less or more to your liking or dietary restrictions. Into the blender. Mix.

9. Your concoction should have a nice peach-orange color, exactly like the color of my recipe title above. Taste the gazpacho with a spoon.

Reminder here: You're going to put this in the fridge for at least an hour, so it will taste a little differently when it cools down. You're tasting it warm, and warm gazpacho isn't the best taste in the world. Cold gazpacho is! Now add oil if it's too vinegary, or vice versa. Balance it out to your liking. Don't go crazy by adding too much oil and vinegar to balance the thing out, you'll ruin the overall balance of the gazpacho.

10. How's the consistency? It should be the approximate consistency and weight of thick whole milk. Still liquidy, not lumpy by any means. If it's leaning towards the consistency of a drippy milkshake, you need to add some water to liquefy it just a bit. This is best done while still in the blender. My blender has a liquefy button. I use that here to get the consistency and weight of whole milk. Just enough water to get that "cold soup" consistency.

11. At this point, you can strain it to get the fine bits of pepper and garlic and tomato out. I don't. I kind of like it without straining. Up to you though. Try straining half of it, and see which one you like better.

12. Okay, put it in a good non-plastic container and let it sit for at least an hour in the fridge. You're done. Keep any remainders in the fridge, too.

When you serve it, do so in 8-10 oz portions, in a medium bowl, with a side of French bread the size you cut off for adding into the blender. About a 5 inch cut from the loaf. You may need two loafs if you're serving 5-6 people.

Eating gazpacho:
    The way to eat it is to break off the bread into bite sized pieces and toss them into your bowl of gazpacho. Stir your gazpacho to soak the bread and eat up. Nice and cold. Refreshing, and a great summer "snack" in between your meals or as an appetizer with your meals.

That's Norman's Summer Gazpacho.

Cheap to make, simple and quick to put together, and oh so good with French bread. If you make this, let me know how you liked it please!

Excuse me, I need to pour myself another bowl. :supergrin:

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Crap. I need a pepper and some french bread and I am *not* going out today :soap:

Oh well, tomatoes will be coming in for a while and pepper hasn't started yet. But next week when the just picked tomatoes are in a hurry up and use'em state... :)

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Hey Norman,

We usually have a mix of red, pink, yellow and striped tomatoes on hand. Ever tried using anything other than red?

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Fixed it for ya :supergrin:

6. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Nope... never have. Tomatoes should be red :supergrin:

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

And yellow and pink and striped and green when ya want to fry them :supergrin: