Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Rational
14,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As if I needed another reason to stay out of California.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/12/702873258/gov-gavin-newsom-suspends-death-penalty-in-california

California Gov. Gavin Newsom will sign a sweeping order on Wednesday putting an executive moratorium on California's troubled death penalty, thus ordering a reprieve for the 737 people on death row.

The action suspends any further executions in California as long as Newsom is governor, his office said. But only California voters can repeal the death penalty, something they rejected narrowly three years ago.
So nice to know that Newsom cares about the families of the victims of these animals who want justice. You know....the people that actually matter in all of this.....

A $853,000 upgrade of the execution chamber at San Quentin was completed in 2010, but it has never been used. The last execution in California occurred January 17, 2006, when Clarence Ray Allen, 76, was put to death. No executions have been carried out since.
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Those of you in Red States whom are getting an influx of Californians moving in....I pity you.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
It's all about gun control.

If the state can't kill a convicted criminal after trial and appeals and all the protections afforded by our legal system, how can we allow gun owners to kill someone in a matter of seconds without any due process???

Yes, it is nonsensical but that will be the argument and policy put forward shortly.

·
NRA Life Member
65,470 Posts
So nice to know that Newsom cares about the families of the victims of these animals who want justice. You know....the people that actually matter in all of this.....
Victims and their families tend to lean toward Republicans - criminals and their families are reliably Democrat.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Former kommiefornia resident here. That sewer of a state doesn't execute anyway. The voters voted on it. Juries affirm it. They have people on death row, but that's as far as it goes.

Newsome is a pimp and a whore. It's all political posturing. Typical kalifornia.

I was living in the valley when some slimeball named Scott Peterson murdered his wife and unborn child and dumped them into Half Moon Bay like they were chum. Then he made a big deal about their disappearance and showed up at the rallies and acted like he was a rock star.

The bodies washed up on shore, he was discovered, convicted, and sentenced to death by a legally formed and appointed jury. He murdered them on or around December 24, 2002. Great Christmas for her family, by the way.

He was convicted of murder November 2004. But the cockroach californians don't execute. They celebrate. Peterson has a fan club, visits from typically stupid Bay Area liberals, gets three hots and a cot, free medical, tv, etc.

Newsome is just signaling his virtue. He's as incompetent to address, much less, solve, the myriad of other problems of that dump, so he does this.

Much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
All good responses prior to mine. Yes, Commiefornia is a gross mess and Californicators come to TX in droves bringing their inane views with them. Austin is CA central US.

We took several vacations at Naval Station North Island Navy Lodge. Nice rooms at a tiny fraction of the cost of the only other hotel on the beach, Hotel Del. Private beach.

Coronado is nice but the problem with it, is that it's in CA. Don't intend to ever go there again, too many idiot politicians, liberals and rules when you leave the base gate. And Newsom is the chief idiot. Don

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
I hear you on this.

Kansas has the death penalty and has been upheld several times. So for not one that has been convicted of crimes and sentenced to death faced that penalty. We have a liberal state supreme court and they refuse to uphold any death sentence.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
The judge, the jury, the prosecutor - all have to agree to a death sentence. The people even voted on it recently. Now this governor can override all that? On just his say-so?

·
Registered
29,102 Posts
Well, consider that the governor and the 2 state senators are all from the SF/Oakland Bay Area. This is going to be driving the state's politics for the next 4 years. It ought to be interesting.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Our elected representatives in Colorado are kicking around whether to get rid of the death penalty or not. Given the political construct up in Denver, and the governor, I'm pretty sure it will go through.

Not that it matters. There hasn't been an execution in Colorado since 1968. On the books we have it, in reality: not so much.

·
Registered
29,102 Posts
I'd not be surprised if the new governor is only planning to stay here until the 2020 presidential election. It's been discussed in the press as a more or less open secret while he was still the Lt Gov.

Reactions: Jade Falcon

·
Rational
14,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'd not be surprised if the new governor is only planning to stay here until the 2020 presidential election. It's been discussed in the press as a more or less open secret while he was still the Lt Gov.
This. He's just doing all of this for votes, nothing more. He pledged to uphold the Death Penalty when he was elected (even though he was personally against it), and now he's singing a different tune to appease the SJWs that are going to vote for him.

It's all about votes, and I'm not fooled. Nevermind the fact I wouldn't vote for this pond scum if he was the last organism on Earth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts