gator needs his gat piece(35)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by mikemyr, Sep 8, 2018.

1. mikemyr

mikemyr

So, I went to the gun store today, intending to buy a 17 but also wanted to look at a 19... Looked at the 17, a 21 sf, the 19, 19x, a few others... along with a 35 that was looking at me from through the glass... I felt the trigger with the 3.5 connector and ooooh baby did it feel nice and smooth. The intent of the gun will be for competition (when I finally get myself into it) and also, probably a night stand gun... I wanted a nine but I talked myself into another 40. Although not what I had originally planned to buy, it is a niiiiice looking and feeling piece of machinery. I can not wait to get it back from cali's ten day prison hold. So perhaps Im turning into one of those weird long gun guys? Or I dream about being John Wick... Who knows...

I also got a sirt pistol to mess with and practice (hopefully effectively) at home. Im in high hopes it will be enough to get me through till I can get the 35, but Im always open to more options to help pass the time!

fnfalman and porschedog like this.
  2. pgg00

pgg00

The 35 is a good gun. I have 2

mikemyr likes this.

3. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

Longslides are just flat out fun pistols! I’ve got both a 34 and 17L that I always enjoy shooting and came very close to picking up a used 24L last weekend.

With .40 declining in popularity lately, you should be able to find a lot of magazines and accessories for good prices, although living in the free world, I’m not entirely sure what laws the Cali Stasi has about that.

Oh, one more thing to think about, you can pick-up a .357 Sig barrel for your new 35 and have a 15 round .357 mag semi-auto.

mikemyr likes this.
  4. mikemyr

mikemyr

I hadn't even thought of 357 sig but definitely could dabble in the danger zone and see what I think of it! Ive heard of people shooting competition with a 9mm barrel in a 35 so Im considering that as well! Commiefornia has awful laws, but Im certainly gunna check it out!

-Im also excited for the extended mag release and extended slide catch!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have decided a couple of times that I was going to use a .40 for competition. I'be bought a Glock 22, Glock 35 and Para P16-40 for that. It never took more than a match or two to realize that was a bad idea. More expensive and harder to shoot fast.

.40 is my choice for self-defense.

6. mikemyr

mikemyr

Harder to shoot fast? One thing I fait understand is claims that the 40 has more recoil and the 9mm is snappy... Much like the thread a week or two ago about distinguishing trigger pull weight and speed. I think its relatively two different factors of the same thing. Resistance and speed will always effect each other. Like how "snappy" and recoil will always be correlated. I think it just comes down to control and lack there of. Meaning it will just take practice and time.
    Many departments are going back to 9mm because people can't qual with 40. Situations like women having small hands (and frail men), they can't control the 40... The pain is either caused mechanically in nature or they just can't bring themselves to do it.
    But I suppose I agree about strict competition, race gun should be the smoothest possible, which is why when I gear in that direction Ill try it out with a 9mm barrel. Apparently the frame is also the same size as standard full size so I could throw a 17 slide on if I wanted to.

papercidal likes this.
  7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I have shot them both on the same kind of match courses of fire often enough to know - including shooting a Glock 26 and Glock 27 or a Glock 17 and Glock 22. Yes, if you've never shot them in competition, you may think you're shooting the .40 just as fast and if you measure your speed in seconds, maybe you are. In competition, where your speed is timed to the hundredth of a second and you often have video to watch later, you can see the difference. .40 has more recoil and recovery from recoil takes longer - maybe it's only a 20th of a second, but a 20th of a second adds up to a second for every 20 shots and 5 seconds in a 100 shot match. That much time might separate #1 from #10 in a competitive IDPA/USPSA or GSSF match.

mikemyr likes this.
  8. porschedog

porschedog

Congrats to OP. Get what makes you happy is my motto.

mikemyr likes this.