close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gatlinburg TN

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Louisville Glocker, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Hey,
    So my new gf and I are heading down soon, just for a visit. Curious if anyone has any advice or tidbits of info about the area. Food, shooting ranges, anything....

I've never been to the Smoky Mountains, so it should be fun. We rented a fairly deluxe cabin, with a great view, so it is going to be a blast no matter what.

And, unlike my ex, my new gf is totally fine with me packing heat at all times. G26 with Speer +P Gold Dots will be carried. Driving down in a Ford Mustang (gf's car). Good times coming soon....

Mostly just curious if anyone has been in the area and can give me a heads up on anything.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I was there a few years ago over thanksgiving. Spent it with my dad's side. We had fun. We went to the Ripley aquarium with the kids & cousins. Hiked the mountain side and the women went shopping at the outlet center.

if you are a Dukes boy fan, stop by Cooter's Place

http://www.cootersplace.com/museum/gatlinburg/

I didn't know it was there until our last night.

3. Louisville Glocker

Cool. I'll be there. I learned to drive muscle cars on an identical Dodge Charger (roommate's car - we drove it Portland to Chicago, it was matte black).....thanks for the tip!

4. nightstalker865

nightstalker865

If your GF likes to shop, your in trouble. Lots of outlets and stores in pigeon forge area. TN is a very gun friendly state and you can carry most places. Just keep a watchful eye out for signs on private businesses. You can also carry in the park now so you don't have to worry about that while touring the smokies. I grew up in Knoxville and really miss the mtns. I fly over them all the time and hate having to come back to the Sandhills around Bragg. Smokey Mtn brewery is a great place on the strip in Gatlinburg to grab some lunch and try local beers. Lots of restaurants in and around the area. The aquarium in Gatlinburg is one of the best in the country. It's a great way to kill time and if your GF is like most girls she will love the penguin exhibit. Great way to score some points....

5. jknight8907

jknight8907

I've stayed in Gatlinburg twice. If we head that direction again we will stay in Pigeon Forge or Sevierville. Gatlinburg is 100% tourist trap with very little parking. The aquarium is awesome, but other than that it's a little disappointing. For me, the attraction is driving through the mountains. Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are equally tourist-trap, but at least they have enough parking and room to do what you want, and it's no further from the backroad attractions, and only 10 minutes from the aquarium.

6. rolltide_pisco

rolltide_pisco NRA Patron Life Member

There's a chocolate store downtown that was there many years ago when I visited. I don't know if it's still there but it was awesome.

Gatlinburg is still a great place and people still flock there every year.

7. Louisville Glocker

Yeah, she has already mentioned the outlet stores. But she makes double my income so I'll let her go for it if she wants to. Thanks for the Brewery tip. Aquarium will probably wait for when I bring the kiddos down. Adult trip this time....probably mostly hiking and cabin time....hot tub.....etc

8. Louisville Glocker

She found some cabin in cobbly nob. Deluxe place. Yes, the city looks touristy. I'm going to have to look for places on the outskirts of town that are "normal." Like places where locals would eat. But we're just going there for a couple of days. Straight up romantic weekend.

I grew up with mountains, so yeah, just being in the Smokies is very thrilling for me on this trip!

9. jknight8907

jknight8907

Cobbly Nob is great. We spent two nights in a crappy cabin there last week and still managed to have fun. It's about 10 minutes outside Gatlinburg.

Tip for people looking for a cabin, avoid Pioneer Cabin Rentals, at least the particular cabin we rented, "Deer Trail". Genius design features such as the hot tub located on literally the ONLY point on the porch where it would be in full view of the neighbors. A pool table upstairs, but no lights up there....when the sun goes down, no pool playing. Both bedrooms on the street side of the house instead of the mountain view side. Big jacuzzi tub upstairs off the 2nd bedroom, small bathroom & tub downstairs off the master bedroom. Just stupid little design flaws that made you say WTF.

The time before that we stayed in an Elk Springs cabin and it was absolutely perfect. Someone with a brain designed it!

10. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Dollywood, South of the Border, See Rock City, & Ruby Falls if you enjoy scenic drives.

:cool:

11. OneBigDude

OneBigDude

Lots of great golf courses

12. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Gatlinburg is the Myrtle Beach of the mountains.

South of the Border is EXTREMELY unfriendly to carrying.

13. Restless28

Restless28

Prepare for traffic headaches. It is the most visited park. You'll find out why.

14. spork

spork Caffeinator

15. spork

spork Caffeinator

16. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

everything spork said. Applewood farms is amazing. And you have to stop by smokey mtn knife works. As far as gatlinburg itself the best thing to do is park and walk the strip you will find all kinds of cool little shops and food places.

17. billkill

billkill

Put Cades Cove on your list.

Attached Files:

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I love it down there - even walking the streets of Gatlinburg is OK, but most of the cool stuff is out of Gatlinburg. Be sure to check out the Smoky Mountain Knife Works store - ait's about 3-4 huge floors of knifes, knife-making supplies and various cutting instruments and outdoor gear.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp?siteFlag=eknifeworks

I think they call it the world's largest knife store.

If you like motorcycles, the Wheel's Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley is great.

I would have said "eat at the Apple Barn" but it changed ownership a few years ago, so I'm not impressed any more.

19. Louisville Glocker

Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone. I think it's going to be a fun little weekend trip! Between a cabin, nature (Smokies!), and all of these things to do, I don't see how it can't be a blast.

20. Louisville Glocker

My son will enjoy a gift from the knife works....the girl may have to drop me off there for a bit. She can go buy some shoes or something....