close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by DonGlock26, Sep 15, 2004.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

I am almost done with this book. It is a very entertaining book about the 300 Spartans and a few thousand Allies last stand against 250,000 Persians at the choke point called Themopylae(Hot Gates)in 480BC. It's fiction, but very well written. It captures the "Warrior Ethic" very well. I highly recommend it. The language can be crude in a "one of the boys" sense.

Don

2. unit 900

unit 900

Second Donglock on this one. Read Gates of Fire some years ago and was educated, entertained and plain pleased. Really a must read if Molon Labe is in your vocabulary.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That was a badass book. Very well researched. The Tides of War was also good, albeit less action oriented but more of a big picture kind.

4. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

I keep waiting for a movie based on Thermopylae. I heard Michael Mann was looking at it once (or maybe planning a movie based on Millers "The 300"). Anyone see the "Decisive Battles" based on this battle? Pretty good, they even interviewed Pressfield.

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Yep. it was pretty good. A "Gates of Fire" movie would be awesome. Pretty gory though. I woundn't mind a two day TV movie.