Gatco Sharpening Set, Waste of money IMO

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by 88_gurgel, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I bought the Gatco kit a while back with the course, medium, and fine stones and then later added a superfine polishing stone. I am fit to be tied with this system. Every time the rod falls out of the angle guide or the knife slips sideways in the jig it irritates the crap out of me. I have maybe once successfully made a knife sharper than what the factory made it and many unsuccessful attempts that ended in frustration. I tighten the ever loving crap out of the tension screw and still the knife tips sideways or completely falls out at some time during the sharpening process. I feel like I wasted $70 for something that should have worked. :steamed:

Have any of you had any luck with this system or am I the only one that struggles?

I really struggle using regular stones and feel that I can ruin more knives than I make better so I thought using an angle gauged system would help me out.

I also have a smith's 3 in 1 and a smith's stone.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, everything from kitchen knives, to pocket knives, to the frustrating buck knife I have been unsuccessfully worked on for the last half hour. I am considering selling all this junk and then buying 1-2 big stones and learn to hold my angles.

2. Big Wes

Big Wes

Invest in an Edge Pro Apex sharpener. I have the edge-Pro Apex 4 it's not cheap but worth every cent.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/cart.html be sure to watch the videos very informative.

I also recommend the leveling kit @ $30.00 more

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010