Gas Tube/Hand Guard Headaches

Discussion in 'SKS Carbiners' started by DeputyDog1978, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DeputyDog1978

DeputyDog1978 Guest

Heres the skinny. ReyFufu said it all in an earlier post. Changing out the hand guard is a maior pain but it can be done. Most directions I have seen say to pound out the little pin in the rear of the gas tube.
    [​IMG]
    My Norinco was made in 1960 so as you can imagine that pin was not going to just slide out. I had to drill the head off of it and then tap it out with a hammer and the punch in the cleaning kit.

Now for the fun part. I made a replacement pin from a finnishing nail (perfect fit) the only problem is that it has to fit perfectly flush in order for the tube to be reinstalled. after about 1/2 hour of file work it went in without a problm. (DO NOT FORCE IT) Remember that in order to clean the gas tube you have to be able to get it back out.

Hope this helps.

2. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

Ha, this is the ONLY difficult part about disassembling the SKS. We should sticky it! :banana: :banana:

3. ReyFufuRulesAll

ReyFufuRulesAll Pantless Wonder

Thanks, Sharon! :hugs: :banana: :banana:

4. shellster

shellster Locked & Loaded

Well after hours of careful work, I managed to break my hand guard. I have the utmost respect for anyone who can actually pull this whole process off.

5. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

The only way mine stays together is when the rifle is together. I pull the gas tube off and turn it the right way, that pin falls out. Then the cap slides off. I hate my hand guard because it's mismatched to my stock, but I'm changing it soon enough anyway. However my gas tube is very loose. I tried making a gasket from a paperclip, but the gasses just blew it out after about 5 rounds. Still functions perfect with my gas tube shaking everywhere though. It throws brass about 8 feet.

6. shellster

shellster Locked & Loaded

If I were to do mine again (I was converting to a Tapco stock), I'd buy the Tapco Gas block or the NcStar and give that a go. It would have been worth it not to ruin my wooden grip.

Luckily (I just checked), it looks like there are some cheap, original wooden handguards on gunbroker now. I couldn't find any for reasonable when I broke my originally.

7. M1a65

M1a65

Hi, I'm having FTE issues with my Yugo SKS. I tried the paper clip mod, didn't work as I had hoped it would. Any suggestions from Yugo owners?

8. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

What's causing the FTE issue? Are the cases sticking inside the chamber, or is the opperating rod just not kicking it out? Your opperating rod only releases the bolt, then the chamber pressure does the rest of the work. I'd check your op rod and gas tube for corrosion, and make sure there's not varnish in your chamber.

The chamber loading up with varnish from old combloc ammo is what does me in, quite a bit. Every so often I have to use a .38 steel brush and some carb cleaner in my chamber, to clean it out.

9. M1a65

M1a65

Thanks, I'll try the chamber brush. I also picked up a gas selecter as the SKS forum said the corrosive Yugo ammo wears them out pretty bad if not cleaned propperly.

10. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Ah yeah, I forgot all about your grenade launcher block. Those are a big source of grief for cycling, apparently. Mine's Chinese =(

Remember though, that the gas system is not air-tight. It doesn't need to be, and if you try to put gaskets or whatnot around the sytem, they will blow off in a few rounds. I've tried the "paperclip trick" myself, using a paper-clip as a bit of a shim to make the gas tube fit tighter, and it just blew off. My issue was the chamber, though. Good luck!