Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage or disadvantage of one vs. the other when the choice is there. For instance when looking at Rock River Upper half choices -- the very same item, with the same length barrel, will have several choices. I realize one might want an attachment on a longer hand guard. But is one more reliable, etc. ? Or is it just an appearance or utility thing?

I'm not interested in this particular model. But this is an example for my question. There are four choices for this upper with a 16" barrel.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...onid=D6C49C3F2DC8FB48DDA3BEF5FA7B7D55.cfusion

·
Registered
23,243 Posts
Usually the longer the gas system the less recoil impulse perceived. It also determines handguard length to a limited extent. When you start running into pistol length gas systems you may get reliability issues if you haven't tuned it properly.

For rifles i would get what ever one suits you best

Reactions: APERS

·
Banned
45,580 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
What is the advantage or disadvantage of one vs. the other when the choice is there. For instance when looking at Rock River Upper half choices -- the very same item, with the same length barrel, will have several choices. I realize one might want an attachment on a longer hand guard. But is one more reliable, etc. ? Or is it just an appearance or utility thing?

I'm not interested in this particular model. But this is an example for my question. There are four choices for this upper with a 16" barrel.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...onid=D6C49C3F2DC8FB48DDA3BEF5FA7B7D55.cfusion
Rifle length works in rifles, and carbine length works just fine in carbines. Mid-length is an answer to an imaginary problem. Do what the military does, not what armchair warriors do.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
That's a good one...Thanks MO. I only wish you had this earlier.
I ran across their blog a week or so ago. Very informative.

Reactions: billlyb22

·
Registered
4,375 Posts

For rifles i would get what ever one suits you best
Like pgg00 says ....If you have some friends with the different lengths ask to try them. Or while at your range ask if you may shoot a few rounds to get a feel. Anyone will be more than happy to help you out.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I currently have two rifles with 16" barrels. One has a carbine length tube, the other is mid length. There are enough differences otherwise between the two rifles that I'm not really sure I notice a recoil difference. I prefer shooting the one with the longer tube, but that could be because I built it myself.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At one time or another I have owned and shot each with the exception of mid-length. I've been watching some videos, seeing about everything, and wondering if there was a notable advantage to any of them. I guess there could possible be a slightly higher velocity to a longer one just because of longer time to build pressure before releasing any. But it probably isn't enough to make any difference for most shooters.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
At one time or another I have owned and shot each with the exception of mid-length. I've been watching some videos, seeing about everything, and wondering if there was a notable advantage to any of them. I guess there could possible be a slightly higher velocity to a longer one just because of longer time to build pressure before releasing any. But it probably isn't enough to make any difference for most shooters.

Thanks for the feedback.
View: https://youtu.be/djrxT3ePfVY

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have seen people go through no end of problems with gas systems on their rifles. Suffice to say, most will work fine on regular length rifles and carbines, but shorter ones are the most probable to have issues. Suffice to say, there is a lot more involved than the length of the gas system, There are many other factors, including gas port diameter, buffer weight and spring. If anything is off just a little bit, you will have trouble with it.

·
1911 lover
10,182 Posts
from what i understand the carbine length gas system can be hard on the internal...parts

i think the mid length system is a good choice , but i am still learning about some of the more technical areas of AR design and 308 AR design.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I been running 16" barrels and mid length system with a 3.8oz buffer for years in several AR's . Works well with 5.56 or or mild 223 loads . Last AR has a Criterion mid length chrome lined 16"barrel and shoots sub solid MOA .

·
Premium Member
42,344 Posts
Is there any drawback to a mid length gas system on a carbine length barrel?

No.....just benefits for the mid-length gas system. Smoother and easier on parts because of the reduced gas pressure. There are builders that are producing 14.5” barrels with a mid-length seas system as well. Proper port sizing allows this to be a reliable system.

The military still runs the old archaic carbine length gas system because of two reasons. It works well with dirty carbines and they still like to have the ability to add a bayonet. Some guys think that mil-spec is the end all be all. It’s simply a buyer’s spec for a product. Keep in mind, the contract generally always goes to the lowers bidder.

There are AR builders that FAR exceed the minimum standards that are called mil-spec.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The video above......Hmm.....His ego is something else. Maybe he is an expert, but "Doogie" is hard to watch.

He said that the powder is all burned up and there are diminishing returns past 20". Well I wonder how Tikka landed at a strange 23 7/10" for their varmint rifle? And then there is Colt's HBar Elite at 24". Oh well this is the interweb.

While considering more than one Rock River upper I called RR tech support with a question. I asked them about carbines and if the breaks or flash hiders are pinned. I told them I didn't want ANY reverse noise, just functionality. I was told that their "Carbines" are legal 16" rifles without the breaks or hiders and therefore not pinned.

So.....that leaves a little question on the educational video above and 14.5 carbines.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
For .223/5.56 if the barrel is 14.5" or 16" I get a mid length, period.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts