Gas Storage Ideas...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lampshade, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Lampshade

Lampshade

I have 3 five gallon gas containers that I would like to store on my property, but would prefer not to keep them in my attached garage.

I do not want to spend $500+ on a shed either... looking for some economical ideas on what to store the gas cans in.

Thanks!

2. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

Under a blue tarp in your back yard.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Ummmmmm.........

How about three, rectangle ten gallon garbage cans?

4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    You can get one of those Rubbermaid outdoor strorage bins in the $150 range; they are made for storing things like trash cans so one would be plenty big, and while they are a little flimsy (to me, at least) they are also easily re-inforced... Thery go together easily, they are weather resistant, and they look presentable....

http://www.rubbermaid.com/en-US/sho...orizontal-sheds/large-horizontal-storage-shed

TBO likes this.
  5. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    Are they going to be used as some type of boobytrap for home defense?:dunno:

:whistling:

Joshhtn and Bruce M like this.
  6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Put them inside your least favorite car.

XDRoX and FLIPPER 348 like this.
  7. RenoF250

RenoF250

Could you build a little shed out of 2x4s and corrugated roofing? Put your mower and other junk underneath and cans up on a shelf. Maybe 4'x4' probably $150 in materials.

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Why do you want to store 15 gallons of gasoline? What will that do for you? I suppose you could run a small (1000 kg) generator for a day or two... But if that's the case, get a 100# bottle of LP and and LP generator... LP is safer and lasts forever.

9. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

What's your purpose for storing them, and what are your concerns? Put em in your garage with your cars and rotate the gas out regularly. Remember your car's gas tanks (if you have two cars, but maybe even one) have more gas in them than your gas tanks may have.

10. G30SF/F-250

Steal your neighbors dog house.

XDRoX, TX OMFS, Joshhtn and 3 others like this.
  11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Keep them in your wife's closet.

TX OMFS, Bruce M and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  12. RenoF250

RenoF250

Car gas tanks are properly vented so they don't push out gas with temp changes and stink.

LASTRESORT20, kiole and Kevin108 like this.
  13. G30SF/F-250

Buy a used auto, remove the fuel tank and bury it in the ground. Donate the used car to a charity for a tax write-off.

14. Bruce M

Bruce M

:rofl::rofl:

15. G30SF/F-250

What if you put them in 2 1/2 gallon jugs and hide them around your property like Easter Eggs.

Joshhtn likes this.
  16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

May I suggest one or two 55 gallon barrels for gas storage or get a couple of 100 gallon fuel tanks off of an old diesel truck. The 15 gallons you speak of would only be enough to last for two or three days in a difficult situation. But I do commend you for considering gas storage for emergencies FEW people give gas a second thought even though it is one of the two or three most important items that will be needed in a crisis, that is unless you enjoy walking 5 miles to the food store to see if there is anything there!

17. razorbacker

razorbacker

I've kept (2) five gallon cans of gas in my 3 car garage for years. What's the big deal about not keeping them in your garage? Just use common sense.

18. David2015

David2015

Where do you store the gas for your lawn mower? Instead of plastic storage cans, consider getting yourself some 5 gallon metal GI storage cans. They aren't too expensive. They seal tight [no vapors], are water / moisture proof and are pretty darn safe for storing gas just about anywhere.

And as for long term storage.. I use to use STA-BIL.. but then I noticed that where it is suppose to keep gas from going bad for about 12 months... that Briggs & Stratton's stabilizer keeps gas good in storage for 36 months. So now this is what I use for my stash of emergency gas and my lawn equipment. It is kind of expensive. About $7.95 a 8 oz bottle. It is normally used in winterizing lawn equipment. My local Walmart was closing it out for the season.. and had marked it down to $5 a bottle, so I stocked up on it. I put it in all my gas for the lawn equipment.. even if I'm gonna be using with in a month or so... and in my emergency gas. 4 oz treats up to 20 gallons. I try to always buy real gas without any ethanol, but I like this stuff because it will protect motors against ethanol problems.

.5 OZ to 2 1/2 gallons of gas.

I had a chain saw in storage for almost 3 years with the gas / oil mixture in it along with the B&S stabilizer. Got it out of the storage shed not long ago, and it started on the 2nd pull. Ran like a new one... nothing wrong with the gas.

Use this...as it protects gas up to 36 months....and protects against ethanol problems....
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

Versus this...which its ad reads...
    STA-BIL Storage: Keeps gasoline fresh for up to 12 months, eliminating the need to drain your tank during storage seasons.

[​IMG]

walt cowan likes this.
  19. silentpoet

silentpoet

Save gas, fart in a jar.

20. Lampshade

Lampshade

Just to be able to top off my vehicles in an emergency. It just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies to keep 15 gallons of gasoline in the same structure I sleep in.