close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gas mileage and fuels. Big oil keep the numbers down?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itstime, Jun 11, 2012.

1. itstime

itstime

Just a thought. My state just switched over to Summer fuel. This year as every year my mileage jumped up a few MPG.

I wonder if big oil is capable of a fuel that can really get larger MPG numbers or they regulate the formula to keep them down to sell more volume????

2. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

3. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Sure just like Big Auto has a 100 MPG carburetor that the oil companies are paying them to sit on.

4. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

What is Summer Fuel?

5. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

6. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

It's something that Big Brother did away with about a decade ago with 10% Ethanol.

I'd get LESS mileage on the old "summer" fuel. Winter fuel (no additives) and summer heat = best gas mileage. I've forgotten the WHY's behind it, but it's some sort of thingy where the warmer the air going INTO the engine, the more efficient. 11th grade physics is waning fast after almost 30 years. LOL

Big Oil isn't doing anything but reaping profits. If I didn't think we were headed for an oil collapse, I'd buy into them. BP has a P/E of 5 and Exxon/Mobile under 10. With the current profits they are reaping, it's a cheap bet. . . but if the oil market collapses (price-wise), they'll normalize that P/E quickly as earnings drop. :(

Supply is WAAAY up, demand is STILL down. Yet prices are still at $100/bbl. Stupidity reins, but supply/demand ALWAYS returns to normal. Can't rain all the time. ;)

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

You've found a niche market you can make money exploiting.

Go into business yourself, formulate your gasoline to get the best mileage and sell it, undercutting the big oil guys.

You could probably retire in a few years.

Sadly enough, though, a lot of people who bring stuff like this up don't actually want to work hard, they just want to gripe and whine about others. You're not one of those, I'm sure, though.

8. MoparMan1991

MoparMan1991

It's not just your state. Every state that gets below freezing temps in winter have the fuels switched to a different blend. Diesel fuel may get treated so it doesn't gel up, and gasoline gets some additives to help it burn hotter, thus helping warm the engine faster. On top of that, the cooler air compresses more which your vehicles computer reads and injects more fuel to compensate for more air.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  9. itstime

itstime

I'm not whining. :)

10. Ragnar

Ragnar

Yeah, big oil is the culprit. The EPA and your friendly .gov would never mandate certain fuel formulations that decrease mileage.

Get a clue.

11. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Or maybe it is because of the EPA required boutique formulations that use 10% ethanol in the winter months?

12. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I have wondered if "big oil" plays with the prices - driving them up and then, right when everyone is almost ready to trade in their Suburban for a Prius, dropping them down again.

No proof of course.