close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gas grille buying time.....What to buy?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by streeter69, May 28, 2004.

1. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Mine died about 2 years ago and have not bought one yet. I went out and have been looking for one (250-300 range) and they are all burner?!?! What happened to the lava rock ones??

Any tips on trying to find the older style lava rock ones??

2. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I just bought a Brinkman 2400 that has three burners, porcelain on steel grill surfaces and nice folded flame directors. It's not lava rock, but it's much better than direct gas heat. The price was only $200. The heat is pretty even and it's a three burner unit. If it lasts four or five years, I'll be happy.

Regards,
    Glen

3. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Buy a Weber. Mine is 6 or 7 years old, still fires up on the first click of the ignition, and cooks great.

I don't know anything about lava rock grilles, never even heard of it.

4. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I have a Weber Genesis Silver C. Got it at sears about 3 years ago. This past Christmas, the wife gave me the rotisserie kit for it, which I have used for a couple of rib roasts, and for a couple of pork shoulder roasts for making pulled-pork BBQ.

I use it at least once a week pretty much year round, even more so in the summer.

I'm not too up on grill tech, so I don't know a whole lot about the lava rock models, and if they are still available. I can't imagine why they wouldn't be. I know my Weber has these "flavorizer" bars that need replacing about once a year.

I may get a decent charcoal grill at some point, just because I think some things taste better cooked over charcoal (as long as you don't use lighter fluid to start the fire). The gas grill is mostly just for convenience, its faster, and cleaner than a charcoal grill in my opinion.

5. mmsig229

mmsig229

I have a Genesis Weber also. I love it. Make sure you always use the vinyl cover also. It'll add years to the life of the grill...

6. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Go charcoal!!
    Cheaper and tastes better.

John

7. FB3

FB3

The Webers are great. Forget the lava rocks. All they do is absorb grease and become a real nuisance.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Webber Genesis. Go for the B or C model. The A models only have 2 burners and it limits your cooking options. I'm into year 4 with mine and I've not had to replace the flavorizer bars or anything else for that matter.

Avoid lava rocks like the plague... unless you like big grease fires and blackened chicken.

9. vart

vart

What is the purpose of the lava rocks??
    I bought a new Brinkmann stainless Commercial-series at Wal-Mart for $288.
    So far, I love it. I also got a cover for it. My previous gas grill had lava rocks in it, and this one didn't, so I bought a couple of bags of them and added them. I thought they were supposed to help the grill cook more evenly. I've never even used a gas grill without the lava rocks.

10. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

I just got a Kenmore Cast Iron burner grill, three burners with heat diffusers that act like lavarocks to smoke and distribute heat, for $299 on sale at sears. Other good features are it uses electronic ignition, rather than peizo electrics to ignite it. I expect it to last 10 year or more.

11. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

In my opinion there is only one gas grill to even consider...a Holland grill. They cook from a slightly different philosophy than many modern gas grills. The flame is isolated from the cooking area and is covered by a large stainless steel pan. The food is placed on a stainless screen instead of the horizontal bars on most grills and the gaps in the screen which are diamond shaped are close together so you can cook pretty much anything on it without having it fall through. It's killer for cooking bacon for this reason. There are two smoke stacks on the top. It maintains about a 350 to 400 degree temperature range constantly so you can cook strictly off of time, never returning to the grill until the time is up other than flipping the food if needed. It's 100% guaranteed not to ever flare up or your money back and it won't because of the way it's engineered. I can attest to it because I've been cooking on mine for the last 3 years. I bought the Heritage model and I think it was about $400. American made and it goes together with a few standard, not metric tools! A little higher price than you asked for I realize but it lasts forever and the stainless burner unit has a lifetime warranty. There is no way I'll ever own anything but a Holland from here on out. Once you try one, there's no going back. Might sound like I'm a salesman with all the praise but I'm not, just a very satisfied customer who doesn't mind talking up a quality product in the rare event that I come across one that impresses me enough to do so.

LINK HERE

12. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Lava rocks are suppose to catch the grease and give off some smoke. The only problem with themis flare ups. I had a Charbroil that lasted me about 8 yrs. The wood side trays rotted and I decided I needed a new grill for my new patio. I bought another Charbroil with the high domed lid. After a couple grillin' sessions with te flavorizer bars, I took them out and put a lava rock grate in the bottom and placed ceramic briquettes in place of the rock. Talk about good grillin'n. The ceramic briquettes cook off the drippings pretty well, give good heat distribution. I also took the wire steel grates off this year and put in cast iron grates. Now I am set. The high domed lid is a must for making beer can chicken. If I ever need to buy another grill, it'll be a Charbroil, but with 3 burners.

13. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Gas grill? ;T

If it ain't smoked, it ain't BBQ!

14. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Now we talking. I hated flare ups with lave rocks but the food tasted good;f
    Thanks

15. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Flare ups are part of the grilling adventure. Carciogenics be damned. If it ain't blackened, it ain't grilled. Like I tell the family, 'More for me.' ;f

16. ColoradoPacker

ColoradoPacker What's a Glock?

We got good brats off the Kenmore cast iron tonight :)

17. moeman

moeman

I have a Charbroil and its nice but that Holland grill looks great.

No matter what get a caast iron smoker box and wood chips!

18. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

Weber all the way~2. I have a Silver C, it is going on 3 years old now with no problems. I do have the cover for it. It also has cast iron grates which give you those great sear marks. I have cooked many things on my grill. I have done Thanksgiving Turkey, uncovered, without basting it! It was the moistest turkey I have ever had. I have done prime rib, grilled pineapple and many other things with great success. One word of advise, get yourself the grill light, it replaces the regular handles and is fantastic for night cooking. And if charcoal is your thing then get a weber charcoal grill. I have mine for 5 years now, it is in great shape and I just let it sit out in the elements year round. So give weber a look at, you might like them.

Weber

19. L_N_L

L_N_L Addicted member

If you have a Costco nearby, they have some really really nice stainless grills with burners, hotplates, the rotiserie, and 100% all stainless for a mere $340!! Awesome grill......