close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gas grill diagnosis?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Apr 3, 2010.

1. vart

vart

I have a Char-Broil stainless gas grill that is about 2 years old.

I have 2 20lb propane tanks for it that I switch out.

When one of the tanks got low, I hooked up the second one and I wasn't getting any gas. The 1st tank still worked OK, so I re-filled it.

I haven't taken the 2nd tank back to exchange it, yet.

We've been using the 1st tank now for a couple of months and the other day noticed the flame had gone really low.

I checked the tank and it was at least still half full...

Before I spend a bunch of money exchanging tanks that don't need exchanging, is there anything else I should check?

What could cause a lack of pressure?

Duh, I just thought that it sounds like a regulator vent plugged or a bad regulator. I'll check that tonight after work.

Any other ideas?

2. ray9898

ray9898

3. bocephus549

bocephus549 Bo Knows.......

First make sure all the control knobs on your grill are set to off. Take the tank that wasn't working and install it on your grill. Turn the gas on your tank on first then try igniting your grill.

When you originally changed out the tanks you may have had a burner knob open which will cause a safety valve to block the flow of gas to the burners.

If it were the regulator both tanks wouldn't work.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. community

community Member

I would be interested in hearing a solution too. same thing happened to me, but only in the winter. I thought the LP froze, but many homes are heated with LP.

5. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Same thing happened to a neighbor, this is from the Char-broil web site and it fixed his problem ...

"Low Flow or Low Flames are generally characterized by having one or more of the following;

* Damaged component
    * Overpressure device activated
    * Obstruction
    * Poor Connection

The most common problem is Overpresure device activated. For LP gas grills - Since 1995, all regulators have included a safety device that restricts the gas flow in the event of a gas leak. But, you can inadvertently activate the safety device without having a gas leak. This typically occurs turn on your control knobs before you turn on the LP tank valve. If you do activate the gas regulator safety device, the grill will only reach temperatures between 250 and 300F even with all burners on the high setting. To reset the gas regulator safety device:

* Open the grill lid.
    * Turn off all knobs on the control panel in front.
    * Turn off the tank knob.
    * Disconnect the regulator from the LP tank.
    * Wait 30 seconds.
    * Reconnect the regulator to the LP tank.
    * Slowly open the LP tank knob all the way open. Do not put excessive force on the valve at the full open position to avoid damaging the valve.
    * Turn on the appropriate control knob and light the grill per the instructions on the control panel."

6. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Similar issue for me once turned out to be cob webs in the gas channel from the take to the burner.

7. Slacker

Slacker Millennium Member

I dont know if it could be your problem or not but a few years back I was having problems with a full tank of propane. I would get it lit and the flames would barely be burning. After some research I found out that you have to open the valve at the tank very slowly or the OPV device inside the tank can get sucked up and shut off the flow of propane.

8. vart

vart

Thanks for the ideas!

9. Cool Impala Glocker

Cool Impala Glocker NRA Member

regulator..or obstructions in the burner pipes. I grill HEAVILY with propane all thru the year...wind..rain..snow...whatever. Ive gone through so many burner pipes you wouldnt believe. Id first check the pipes for obstruction..then move onto the regulator.

10. Remander

Remander

If you grill a lot and have natural gas at home, consider getting a natural hookup on your patio or where you keep the grill.

I got one years ago, and it is sweet. No more wondering if the tank is low or running to the store to buy a new tank. Just plug in and go. Always ready.

You will need a grill made for natural if you go that route. I'm on my second, a Weber, and it works great.

11. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Ah...gas, there's your problem right there. Glad I could help. :tongueout:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I have to try that.........You guys may have me apologizing to the Char - Broil company.