close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

garmin etrex vrs the magellan 330M.

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Jul 27, 2004.

1. noway

noway

The few shops around here has the etrex GPS unit on sale and I was thinking about getting one to back up my magellan GPSs. Anybody use the 2 and can give any comparisons?

I was wonder about memory and satellite pickup times and how the 2 brands work. My Magellan has about 8mb (IIRC) or memory available for upload regional-maps and gives pretty function for tracking and routes and like 500 waypoint. I would like more memory for uploading more regions but 8mb has been "okay" for me.

i.e

I can can get about half of the state of FL into my unit.

the batteries last a long time and I have 2 of the external power cords that works off the 12v/cigarette lighter. The garmin products I have never used so I would like some fair comparisons from users that own these and any feedback pro/con on the garmin family line before I spend any money on it.

btw; the model I was looking closely at was the etrex Legend if that helps.

2. lazarus

lazarus Hard to Kill

I have an eTrex Venture. It is the only GPS I have ever owned.

In general I am very pleased with it. My only complaint is battery life, but I don't know how it compares to other units. I can generally get a long day out of the batteries, but not two days. This neccesitates carrying extra cells for multi-day trips, but that isn't really a problem, since it takes AA's.

AA's are cheap.

3. MrMunster

MrMunster

AFter looking at all of the available models, I ended up with the Magellan Meridian Platinum.

When I played with the etrex, I found that I had trouble reading the small screen and difficulty manipulating the buttons.

The meridian, however, was easy to see and my fingers fit the controls. Admittedly, it is bigger and a little heavier than the etrex, but my primary use for it is not back-country backpacking so this didn't bother me.

Take a look at gpsonsale.com for open box specials.

4. peter_atl

peter_atl

I have been a Garmin eTrex Vista user for several years now, and mine still sort of works. I had this choice recently (got my father a GPS for father's day), and I ended up with the Magellan Meridian Platinum for several reasons:

* The screen is larger and the buttons are much easier for even my 24 year old hands to press, much less my father. He doesn't have any unusual troubles dealing with things, but the Magellan is just so much easier to deal with than the eTrexs' tiny screen.

* The mapping stuff is accessible through an SD card, which can be connected at high speed to a computer. The serial line on the eTrex line is painfully slow.

The non-objective reasons I chose to try the Magellan are because the eTrex has some problems for me -- ever since the warranty ran out (of course), the click stick thingy hasn't worked well, and the display is usually missing a few lines. Sometimes it randomly shuts off, and man is it a battery hog compared to some of the less featureful and newer receivers I've seen.

All those complaints aside, the eTrex Vista does just about everything fairly well, and wasn't a bad buy when I got it. The price hasn't come down enough to justify another one, and the ridiculous flat rate service fee to fix the stupid button problem (well over $100) didn't help.

Garmin has some other units now that are good; I particularly like to keep a tracklog of trips, and the eTrex and some of the other ones have room for 10,000 trackpoints, which is more than most of the competition's.

Subjectively, the Magellan receiver does much better inside our wood house than the Garmin.

-Peter
    -Peter