Garmin 60CSx GPS

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sviking, Mar 14, 2010.

1. sviking

sviking

Anyone have one? I know it's "older tech", but is it still a good knockaround all purpose GPS handheld for outdoor use? It "may" see a bit of on road navigation, but only as backup. I have a Garmin Nuvi already for that.

2. taco101

taco101 Son o the hound

Had mine since the c version came out. Good GPSr. I have yet to have any negative issues.

3. sviking

sviking

Good to know. The expandable memory (the "x") part is a must for me, though. The new Oregons with the touchscreens look cool, but appear too fragile for any real outdoor use. And, they have a LOT of firmware problems with features not working, locking up, etc from what I've read on the GPS forums.

4. huaco

huaco

I've had a 60 CS since shortly after they came out. It has fixed 56 meg memory, digital compass, WAAS, and the barometric pressure sensor for enhanced elevation. It has never let me down. The GPS receiver is much better than my Nuvi. There have been a few days when under seemingly excellent conditions the Nuvi loses signal when the 60 CS does fine. The 60 CS has lots of functionality that the Nuvi lacks.

That said I use the Nuvi most of the time. For driving it is easier to see and interface with and it contains detailed maps of the whole country. I bought the Nuvi because I can load tens of thousands of POIs into it where the 60 CS can only hold 1000 waypoints. A 3D seismic survey can easily contain tens of thousands of source and receiver points and it is very useful to have them all in the GPS at the same time.

5. sviking

sviking

That's exactly why I want the "X" version of the Garmin 60 series...

6. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

I've had a 60csx for a year and change now. love it.

I went back and forth between the oregon series and the 60csx, and decided i didn't like a lot of the software problems the oregon users were running into.

I've got topo, road and blue-water maps on mine, i've got a 2gig microsdhc card in it and use sanyo eneloops for batteries.

I've not encountered a single downside since i've been using it for light hiking, biking and road navigation. For the road stuff, it doesn't talk, but it beeps, other than that, the prompts and screens are all the same.

note: the map types will not overlay each other (topo over a road). but, enabling types of maps en bulk is super easy via the menus.

one thing i'd highly recommend, with any gps, is to get a plastic screen protector so it doesn't get scratched.

also, i use a niteize semi-rigid case for it while not in use.
    http://www.batteryjunction.com/nbb-03-20.html
    When in use, i use the case to store spare batteries for my flashlight and gps, as the case is weatherproof (not submersible).

i'll probably end up getting an oregon at some point down the road. i like it over the colorado which has the click wheel (doesn't sound fun w/gloves on)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  7. huaco

huaco

Make sure the X version has the capability to hold more waypoints. The 56 megs on my unit are only for maps and do not increase the number of waypoints though it certainly could have been programmed that way. Hopefully they have made the removable memory more flexible than the internal memory but you might want to make sure before you buy if it is that important to you.

I once set up a Lowrance GPs for someone. The Lowrance unit had a 1000 waypoint limit on the internal memory but could hold thousands of them in external. He had to select from the external and move to internal to use them. It was usable but very clumsy.

8. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

1k waypoints are the limit for all of the CS series, including the CSx

1k is also the limit for the oregon series from what i can find as well.

9. sviking

sviking

Now, this I DO know to be untrue. As long as you don't exceed the 2025 map tile limit, you CAN overlay topo and City Navigator NT road maps. You load each map into Garmin's Mapsourse and highlight the areas you want on the topo and road map. When the map is sent to the 60CSx, the topo and road maps WILL be combined on the micro SD card and overlayed. It's quite cluttered and you can select either map to turn off to reduce screen clutter.

10. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

Mine's running software rev 4.00 and it won't do that.

I just set it to show CN North America and the topo 2k8 maps (overlapping areas) and it's only showing the CNNA maps on the display.

I've got the CNNA, topo 2k8 (mid-west) and bluechart americas (east) on my sd card and all are selectable via the map setup menu.

11. sviking

sviking

Wrong...again... Waypoints or "favorites" stored and/or created in Mapsource can FAR exceed 1000 and all can be sent to a 60CSx just fine. You are only limited by memory. A 60CSx without a micro SD card inserted in the loading gate under the batteries will only be able to hold 1000 waypoints. That changes when external, expandable memory is added.

A good friend is an extensive field user of the 60CSx, both recreationally and professionally, and has showed me this along with overlaying the street and topo maps on the unit. He has since moved on to an Oregon, but is having second thoughts about returning to his old 60CSx because it was more reliable and he claims it to be more accurate as well.

12. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

ok..

http://www8.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/spec.html
    tracks can be saved to the card, but waypoints cannot.

if you can find any way to overlay the maps on the display i'd be interested to know the procedure to enable that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  13. sviking

sviking

Yes, the 60CSx can only handle up to 1000 waypoints IN AND OF ITSELF and not hooked up to a computer running Garmin's Mapsource. You are right...waypoints cannot be directly saved to the SD card using ONLY the GPS. However, waypoints CAN be saved to a card when they are embedded within a map that is sent to the micro SD card from Mapsource. With the file being so large, it obviously does not go into internal memory. The thing to do is collect all the waypoints you want on the GPS (up to 1000) and THEN import them to Mapsource when connected via USB. Save that file. Keep going and going on the computer, even well over 1000 waypoints. I save the file as "favorites". When you open a map like City Navigator, open the "favorites" file as well. Scroll around and you'll see all the favorites with their custom names right there overlayed on the map. Then, when you send the entire map to the GPS, all the favorites/waypoints are sent as well. Think about it. The City Navigator street map has about 6 MILLION points of interest (POIs) as delivered from Garmin, which are nothing more than favorites/waypoints. Custom ones are simply added on with those. Trust me, it works fine.

As for overlaying the maps, I already said how to do it with Mapsource. Open the City Navigator North America NT street map and highlight the area you want. Then open Garmin TOPO 2008 and highlight the same topographic area as was highlighted on the street maps. When you send that map (it WILL take a long time) via Mapsource to the GPS, the maps are combined when they are converted. On the GPS unit you can go to the menu and you'll see both map sets checked and they WILL be overlayed on the display. The map is pretty much unreadable due to the clutter, but it IS very convenient to have both sets of map data. Just uncheck the one you don't want and presto! Use the City Navigator street maps to, for example, navigate your way on the roads to a geocache site, then unselect City Navigator and select TOPO to head out on foot to the actual cache. I know this works on the 60CSx and the older Legend. I have the latter and have done this very thing successfully.

14. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I have the 60CSX and love it. I use it for geocaching, driving and hunting. I have a 2GB card in mine.

Don't know about displaying topo and road maps at the same time. Didn't think it could be done.......and why would you want it done if you could? I have City Navigator (road) and TOPO loaded on my GPS, and can switch back and forth, but never tried displaying them together.

Also, you can load more than 1000 waypoints if you load them a POI's (points of interest). I never played with POI's.............so the 750 geocaches/waypoints I have on my GPS is plenty.

15. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

do you have a 60csx ?

because, what i said, that the 60csx has a limit of 1000 waypoints is 100% correct. the waypoints do not get stored with the maps, they are separate and can be uploaded and downloaded separately.

you could have 1,000,000 waypoints saved via the mapsource software on a computer, but you'll only ever have a maximum of 1000 on the unit itself.

if you want to count the near limitless number of waypoints that can be stored via the mapsource software as the number of waypoints the unit can handle, then so be it, but it's a misrepresentation of the limitations of the unit. also, user poi are different than normal waypoints, which, from what i know, cannot be created or deleted on the fly, like a waypoint. the poi loader can store it's database on the microsd(hc) card on the csx.

also, the poi within the various maps are embedded into the maps themselves and are stored on the card (if using the x models). they are not the same as downloadable poi's or waypoints.

ya, and about the maps, that's pretty much not right as far as how they work. like i said, on my microsdhc card, i've got topo, city nav and blue charts maps, all at the same time.

the city nav maps take precedence for display over blucharts which take precedence over the topo's. when a higher level map is selected, the lower level maps will not be displayed on the screen.

also, the declutter function just removes road names and poi names from the screen.

i'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's not accurate regarding how the 60csx functions.

the manual is downloadable for free via:
    http://www.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP60CSx_OwnersManual.pdf
    and the specs from garmin are available here:
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=310#specsTab

16. sviking

sviking

Because the 60CSx only loads ONE map file when starting up. You CAN have multiple .img map files on an SD card, but only the file named "gpmapsupp.img" is the one the 60CSx "sees" and loads. Since it takes a LONG time to load these maps, it's very convenient to have multiple mapsets on a single card. The downside is if you want a different map, you need a computer (or pop the card into a smart phone) to rename the desired file "gpmapsupp.img". Rename the previous one to "something else.img". You DO want road and topo maps combined because they can be accessed in that ONE "gpmapsupp.img" file. Simply uncheck the one you don't want to see to remove that clutter. This is easily done under the MAP ---> info menu selection. The boxes to check/uncheck are right next to the sub-map names.

Yup...thought I explained that before via using Mapsource, but somebody ain't gettin' it. :rofl:

FWIW, "POI, waypoint and favorite" are multiple terms describing the exact SAME thing. A custom stored location with a unique identifier (name/map symbol) and defined by a physical street address OR a latitude/longitude coordinate set.

Now, if "kc-whatever" wants to dispute further. Okay, he's right...he wins. :upeyes:

17. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I'll stick to having CN and TOPO on my GPS and using them seperately.

[​IMG]

18. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

dude, multiple map types cannot be displayed at the same time on the 60csx display. seriously. there is no extra clutter when overlapping map types are selected because only one map type is displayed at a time.

did i not mention that the user poi's are loaded via the poi loader softare? cause, that's not done via the mapsource software, so, ya you're right, someone ain't gettin' it.

also, i was discussing the limitations of the unit itself, you decided i was wrong because you were discussing using waypoints and user poi uploaded via a computer. apples/oranges bro. again, what i said, and have shown via garmin's web site, is correct.

they aren't the same thing. as i explained earlier, poi's from maps are embedded within the mapset, waypoints can be created and deleted on the fly, user poi have to be uploaded via a computer and cannot be created/modified via the unit itself. apples/oranges/tangerines

sorry bro, didn't want your feeling to get hurt, but it's not a great thing to offer false and misleading information to people considering buying one.

19. kc8ykd

kc8ykd

please tell me that thing on the right isn't real :wow: