Garand: Should I go Early or Late

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by zzrayz, Feb 25, 2010.

1. zzrayz

zzrayz

So I am going to go to the CMP north store next weekend to pick out a Garand.

I have read some and it seems they were constantly improving it throughout its long lifecycle.
    I like the idea of holding a real piece of history that was actually from WW2.

So my question is do I go for the classic early WW2 era OR do I go for the late Korea era with all the improvements?

This gun is going to be shot regularly. Are the improvements worth the historical trade offs? If so, what are the specific improvements and how do they effect the overall performance?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Truthfully, it doesn't really matter.
    All the guns are mixmasters, except for the correct grade and up rifles.

If you buy one with a WWII serial number, you are buying one that most certainly saw action. Two of my guns are WWII, the post war gun never saw action.

It was rebuilt sure, but it was post Korea and rebuilt pre Vietnam. I bought it fresh from the rebuild.

The only thing I care about when it comes to Garands, are good barrels, and post war sights. I don't care for the lock bar sights.

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

You can get an M1 from the early period that has the late war sights and op rods. The only true improvement made on the M1 was the rear sight, going from the lock bar to the captured flush nut. That's why lock bar sights are expensive, the army destroyed most of them during refurbishment and upgrading of the M1. You could also get a later war M1 which would be a lot less expensive to restore.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

I would just pick out the one you find in the best shape vs. looking for a certain serial number. Borrow a muzzle gauge from the armorer and check for a good muzzle. less then 3. That is usually easy to do with them in racks. When you find a good one 2 or less give it a once over for overall condition of the rifle. Check the metal for a good finish gas block is tight rear sights adjust wood is sound.

When you find a couple that look good ask the armorer to check throat erosion and take the one with the lowest. You might come home with two. :) I call it the $1K store. I never leave with less then a thousand spent. If you like M1 Carbines don't wait to long on those. I don't expect them to outlast the Garands.

Enjoy the store. If you don't care about old wood the Service Grade Specials look pretty nice. Service grade in new CMP Wood. Or CMP Special which is Refinished rifle, brand new barrel, and new wood. I have one of those. Very nice but less historic. I have some more traditional ones to.

[​IMG]

5. Glocks and Garands

Glocks and Garands CLM

I have read and observed that the post WWII Springfield Garands are some of the best made. Relatively few were made during this time and the crafsmen at the armory did a great job. This is closely followed by late WWII Springfield, then H&R.

Winchesters are great to have due to their collector value. The metal finish on a Winchester does not usually match the ones listed above.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I simply LOVE my 5.8m Springfield Correct Grade.
    Throat and muzzle are like new, she is a looker and a shooter!

7. loki993

loki993

I officially hate you, thats some collection :wow:

8. Jason D

I have read the same thing.

My 5.2 million SA with a 65' SA barrel will group an inch and a half a 100 yards.

9. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Agreed with all of the above, except----the H&R guns were almost commercial quality in the finish of the metalwork. The lack of machining marks compared to the others was noticeable.

On the other hand, the Winchesters are rough as a cob. They do work, but they ain't much to look at, relatively speaking.

10. zzrayz

zzrayz

So if I find a WW2 serial, it should have the post war sights?

If I find a good muzzle reading and get the throat checked and it is good, it will shoot with the best of them?

I am interested in the range at Camp Perry. When I buy my Garand, will I be able to walk to the range and shoot it?

11. Jason D

The post war sights were the best, for the simple matter of not having to loosen the lock nut to adjust them.
    They will have muzzle and throat gauges there for you to use. They may ask for your ID to use them though. They have had people steal stuff in the past.

You can check out the ranges, but you wouldn't be able to fire on them. When they are not having shoots, there is no range officer, safety officer, nor is there anyone to actually work your target.

My best advice for shooting on the range would be to join the ORPA and attend some of their Highpower matches, or sign up and attend the National Matches.
    I am a MI resident, but have been with the ORPA for over five years now. I have shot their matches at Perry, and have attended the National Matches since '03.
    It is an experience that a person must enjoy in their life time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  12. Jason D

It's not a total loss though.
    You can still hit the PX for tax free items, including booze.

You can also check out all the heavy equipment they have on display.

13. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

you could seek out a late arsenal re-build with a wwii receiver........that was re-barrelled and got the other upgrades too. will shoot great, but still have a historic 'heart'.

14. zzrayz

zzrayz

I picked it out today.
    It is a 2.5mil serial SA Service Grade.
    I was a little surprised at the selection. When i got there at 8:50am there were only 7 SA Service Grades. By 9:15am only 2 were left. It is a good thing I got there early.

15. thisaway

thisaway

Nice rifle! Your stock is a nice post-WW2, marked with a "DAS" cartouche (Defense Acceptance Stamp) on the left side below the rear sight (T105 post-WW2 rear sight).

What make & date is your barrel? How well did it gauge?

16. zzrayz

zzrayz

My barrel says "D6535448 45 MD 33 S A12 52" but I seem to have lost my decoder ring.

When we checked the muzzle, I could still see the 2 line. So is that less than 2 or is it just 2.
    The guy working at the CMP checked the throat and said it was about 3.

I am cleaning it now. Surprisingly, I am having trouble finding a good video on Youtube to demonstrate it. I have found a couple of lists of directions but I feel like the are glossing over the details. I need a resource that is going to walk me through how much grease and where. What to scrub and how.
    My only rifle cleaning experience is my Marlin 795 .22lr.

17. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. thisaway

thisaway

Your barrel is a Springfield Armory Dec 1952 (S A 12 52) barrel. If you can still see the "2" with the muzzle gauge, then it is less than 2. Good barrel.

Enjoy it! :thumbsup: