close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Garage/Yard sale -how do I do it ?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Skykings2, May 29, 2012.

1. Skykings2

Skykings2

we;re facing a huge task of getting rid of a family members belongings after they have spent 90 plus years of accumulating it.[​IMG]
    We're planning on a yard/garage sale and have never done one .How do you price or gather info on putting one together.Is there a place that you might suggest that has a good resource on these sales.

2. Halojumper

Halojumper

Spend a couple of weekends going to garage sales in your neighborhood and you'll get a feel for what things are going for.

3. michael e

michael e

My sister has them all the time. I had one, I will take all the crap to goodwill before dealing with ever having another one.

4. Skykings2

Skykings2

good idea, never really considered that:faint:

5. tualum0982

tualum0982

Greta way to make some easy money. Set it up night before, put an ad on Craigslist with the hours, what you have for sale and directions. Buy some stickers at Walmart. Take out the iPad and set out there. We have made over 800 bucks our last 3 garage sales. Only out there for 6-7 hrs. Another good idea if you have kids is to buy some 12pks of pop and a case of water, sell pop for .50 cents and bottled water for a buck. Have the kids man it and thy get to keep whatever they make. Easy money especially on a hot day. Put it in a cooler of some sort of course.

6. njl

njl

Pricing depends on whether you want something close to fair value (in which case, garage sale is the wrong venue) or just want things gone. People generally expect to pay pennies on the dollar for garage sale stuff.

If its good stuff, and there's much family, take pictures, post them online, and send out a "who wants what" email to the family. If younger generations can get good furniture for the cost of a moving van/service, why blow the stuff out at a garage sale or Goodwill?

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

This. Don't expect top dollar from the yard sale crowd.

If you have nice things, (fine art, fine furniture, antiques) you need to research and price each item and do a more controlled estate sale. Including the proper publicity.

A yard sale is more of a "get it gone" sale. Basically easier than hauling it to Goodwill.

8. dcc12

dcc12

You would be better off with an auction. Had to do this very thing with grandparents several years back. Made much more than a yard sale ever would.

9. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

If you do a yard sale, get a Square credit card reader. It's free but charges 2.75% transaction fee. Works via a smartphone.

I am amazed at how many people want to only use credit/debit cards.

10. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Is that in addition to the normal CC transaction fee?

11. trenchgun

trenchgun

Unless everthing is junk or low value, I would not do a garage sale. You get pennies on the dollar, and you better have people watching because they will steal you blind unless you keep an eye on people. There are businesses that do estate sales, you might want to check that angle out. Consigning items to an auction house is another way to go. You have to be careful at garage sales, how you set up the items is important, you don't want people wandering around your house or garage, just looking.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. 2bgop

2bgop

I had a yard sale one time, that will be the last yard sale I ever have. It was a pain in the rear and I would have been better off donating everything and taking the deduction.

13. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

I was curious so I checked.

https://squareup.com/pricing

2.75% total for swipes.

14. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I agree. Get an auctioneer to do a walk through. They'll have an idea of how to list it to get interested buyers. It'll be over in one day - you won't need to worry about anything left over. If nobody wants a particular item, the auctioneer will group it with something that someone does want. Someone will buy it for $1.

That's what we did with my dad's stuff.

15. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Nope, the total fee is 15 cents per swipe + 2.75% of the amount charged. No other fees are charged.

They accept Visa, M/C, Discover, and AMEX.

16. fiasconva

fiasconva

Check around and see if there isn't a business that does estate sales. They usually charge a percentage and do all the work, even pricing and advertising. All you have to do is hang around if you want to. They usually know way more about what everything is worth and price accordingly.

17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

A estate auction, online auction house does have advantages. It really depends on what kind of "stuff" you have.
    IF you have garage sale you want good signs, notice in paper. You want EVERYTHING out of garage but whats for sale. NOBODY but family goes into house. "But my daughter HAS to use bathroom, and I have to go with her" as a group of 15 show up.... And stuff grows wings (inside and out) Expect folks to offer pennies on dollar (on cheap prices) Don't take it personaly. Folks will LIE and say "Your husband said $3 was ok"

As said its best to take anything that didn't sell to good will type place. (don't do garage sale alone) Folks are dang good at distraction while other grabs stuff.
    Lets be honest even if you catch them who is going to call Police, file reports, show up in court for stuff taken at garage sale? Plus they will have 6 folks who will SWEAR they just picked it up to look at it and YOU overreacted...
    That is from many garage sales and farm auctions.

18. guns54

guns54 toni

How right you are, I was thinking about having one for years, well i had one, Never again,And i do mean never.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  19. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Get small circle stickers put them on everything with prices. Set up early like 8 am. Post time and location of sale on craigslist and saturday & sunday paper

20. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Our neighborhood has a joint one a couple times a year. Last time I put stuff out and told people to make me an offer. Everything left at the end I left at the curb and put a post up on freecycle. It was all gone that night. It's too much energy otherwise, and I'd rather donate and take the deduction.