Garage door problem...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by XDRoX, Jan 8, 2017.

1. XDRoX

XDRoX

We were just standing in the kitchen talking and heard a loud noise in the garage. We have a door that leads from the kitchen to garage. I knew as soon as I heard the noise it was something breaking and the spring coming unwound.

It's a fairly modern door. I installed in myself about 10 years ago. The opener is a Genie brand screw type. Not chain driven. The spring is like a long tube that is mounted above the garage door horizontally. I remember when I installed it I had to take a 4 foot bar and wind it up.

There is a cable that broke that is loose hanging from the top of the door right now. So I assume there was a failure in the cable and it broke and the spring unwound. I assume that's what the noise was.

Has anyone else ran across this problem?
    Do I just need to buy another cable and wind up the spring again?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Sgt127

Sgt127

Everything about garage doors scares me. To much stored energy and, I don't know what I'm doing.

I always call the man that does it for a living.

Good luck.

3. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    I messed with them when I was younger then I realized they can kill you.

I haven't messed with one since.

Have you checked youpor I mean YouTube?

4. Dave514

Dave514

If the cable broke, it's surely the cable and not the spring. Hopefully the spring wasn't damaged in the havoc. Be careful.

5. kiole

kiole

As everyone else has stated those springs can be dangerous. Please do your family a favor and use the right tools and techniques or hire it out.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    Pope-onna-Rope and janice6 like this.
  6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Get a professional. My grandfather had a counterbalance spring shatter his shoulder when he was working on the farm. I can still remember that after supper every single night he went down to the basement where he had a rope and pully screwed into a joist and he stuck his arm in a loop of rope and raised his arm by pulling on the rope with the other hand. It took him years to get back to a reasonable level of mobility. It happened in probably less than a second when that spring broke but it took years to get over and at that he was lucky because a skull is more fragile than a shoulder.

light-switch likes this.
  7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Man, you guys are some some pus.... :)

Just kidding. The old school springs back in the day were very dangerous. You can't even see these new horizontal type springs. They are inside a protective tube.

I haven't checked any other sources yet, thought I'd try here first. I assume this is probably a common failure. I may even have the instructions somewhere.

I remember when I installed it I was nervous about winding up the spring. I was careful to not over tighten it.

I will be careful, but I am a DIY'er and will probably handle this one myself. When the garage doors break at our rentals my wife calls a mobile garage door repair man, so we do have the number of a professional. I use to do all the repairs myself at our rentals but got tired of it. My wife pockets $2k a month spending cash from one rental so I figure she has the money to repair things :)

If it looks too dangerous or daunting I will just call someone out.

If anyone else has had this problem please let me know.

Thanks

8. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

Ask your neighbors that were building the illegal house in their backyard. It sounds like they might have the skills needed to fix this...

Bruce M, ClydeG19, medic2258 and 2 others like this.
  9. janice6

janice6

The concern for safety has been stated above.

The parts you want are available at your local home improvement center. You may have to know the characteristics of the spring, but on other type systems, that is denoted by a large paint color spot on the spring.

The wire rope with the loop on the end is available also pre-assembled of varying lengths. Either the spring breaks or the cable breaks, it usually is one or the other.

I don't have your type of opener/counterbalance, but I do know that that is a very dangerous spring to set properly.

Best of luck for you and I hope you have a satisfactory fix.

G30SF/F-250 and XDRoX like this.
  10. janice6

janice6

I seem to remember that your type of spring is characterized by the number of coils it has, at least in a residential implementation.

11. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR

Yep...I had this happen last year. My step-son and I diddled and piddled with it over two weekends. When one of the wires breaks you've got to get everything balanced out just right.

Do you have two springs? (that is one for each side) or just one? I think one is easier to manage, we have two on ours. They have to match tension wise or the door gets out of square and it won't raise and close properly.

We finally called a professional and he had it done in half-an-hour. I don't think I'll be messing with one again.

Pope-onna-Rope likes this.
  12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Each door uses 2 cables - I would unwind the one that is not broken - then buy two just like that one and replace both of them -

Good chance they come as a set anyway - and since they both have the same amount of wear on them - and one just broke - replacing them both seems like a winner.

XDRoX and janice6 like this.
  13. DAKA

DAKA

Had a spring break on one, what a BANG, SCARRY....Called the garage door repair, expensive but when I watched him put tension on that spring, I was glad to be 15 feet away...

janice6 likes this.
  14. janice6

janice6

Mine has two springs, one on each side along the track. (the cable runs through the spring to contain it if it breaks)

One spring broke and shattered the 2x4 that supported the track. They all deserve lots of respect when under tension.

light-switch, XDRoX and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  15. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

That must have been very scary for your dog...

16. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

I spent $750 on a $300 garage door in 2016... snapped a spring, broke a cable, and had to replace part of the track and all the wheels. 4 visits from the garage door guy later and I am nervous every time it opens and closes. I'm actually a little scared to tell you how I really feel about that door because it might hear me and break again.

Fwiw the garage door guy told me the springs are chronically under engineered. Even if they are 100% dialed in and the correct spring when they go in...a few hundred or thousand cycles of tension degrades their performance and stresses the other parts of the system until something gives.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  17. cbird77

cbird77

Same exact thing happened to me 2 years ago, my wife and I were on the couch watching TV and we heard a loud pop in the garage, I went running in there and didn't see anything broke or fallen, in the morning we figured out what it was when we tried to leave.
    I don't mess with garage doors although if you have the tools to wind the spring up its not too bad. Be careful as there is a lot of energy after wound up.
    I kept the garage door man's number, he was good and had it going in minutes. I think we paid $225.

light-switch and XDRoX like this.
  18. cbird77

cbird77

19. r3dot

r3dot

Well there's your problem, nancy

20. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    :animlol::animlol::animlol:

XDRoX and Bruce M like this.