Gangs and Vigilante Justice

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by arclight610, Jan 22, 2010.

1. arclight610

arclight610

So I was watching an interesting show on the 18th street gang and MS13. It had interviews with former gang members and such on how thier daily life was. They pretty much run whatever parts of the city they control and the law does little about it. Thier activities included raping murdering, drive-by shootings, weapons and drug trafficking, prostitution, and pretty much all the other gang related things. One part of the interview was pretty astonishing to me was when a former gang member said, "I got everything I wanted. I was so well-known on my turf that I could walk into a toy store with my son and walk out with a cart full of toys. No questions asked, because everyone knew how bad I was. I love the bad life." Other interviews included individuals making $85,000 a week off of vehicle thefts and weapons trafficking.

My point is, where the law seems to be slacking should the citizens step in? Gangs and gang members have a weakness, greed. They want the accumulation of sex, drugs, wealth, and power. However, what if a gang was created that didn't have any of these as its goal. Essentially the purpose of the said created gang is the total destruction of other gangs. A good idea or bad idea? It would pretty much be the War on Drugs and the War on Gangs that government should have declared, but never did. May be a dumb post, but I think it's an interesting idea.

2. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

You should form such a gang and post how well it works out.

3. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

I think some governor in Mexico is trying out this idea already.

4. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

You could too, call it "the quitters". :tongueout:

Interesting idea, and more common in less developed countries where law enforcement isnt reliable.

5. arclight610

arclight610

I mean it is a reoccuring theme in pop-culture and movies that make alot of money. Something happens to character A's family, law does little to bring justice to the perps, so character A takes it into his own hands and prevails. Obviously that is the Hollywood portrayal, but I think there is a little bit of vigilante in everyone. Everyone has thier breaking points, the point where someone's life becomes so messed screwed up by something that happens that they don't care about thier own anymore. If one of my love ones got raped and murdered, and the law did little about it I would probably reach my own breaking point to where I didn't care anymore. I'm sure there are alot of other people out there in similar situations.

6. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

7. Hartford

Hartford

Bad idea. After awhile the vigilantes would become as corrupt as the gangs they are trying eradicate. Law enforcement agencies have oversight to keep agents from becoming corrupted, but it still happens.

8. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

The thing about forming your own vigilante posse to drive a gang out of your neighborhood is that most times you basically just created another gang. Sure your gang may not be as involved in criminal activites as the one before and see yourselves as just "protecting their neighborhood," but that's how a lot of smaller street gangs see themselves as. It's easy for your original vigilante posse, which started out with good intentions, to become something ugly real soon.

9. Carolina Drifter

Carolina Drifter CLM

I like Uncle Ted's simple reply to people that do that kind of harm to other people, "Kill 'em all".

10. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

My wife is from a rural area of a country where there is little police jurisdiction. If you want justice, you have to actually pay the police in town.

The justice system is often left up to residents. There are old style feuds that are exactly like the Hatfields and McCoys. You can get your justice one day, but you will always fear for your uncles, aunts, nephews, and parents. You do not want to live such a life. It will always haunt you.

11. TheSwitchman

TheSwitchman

Vigilantism worked in the Wild West but only because the lynch mobs had no form of due process whatsoever.

You are basically creating a gang. Hang the wrong man and someone will form a gang to take down you.

12. Hartford

Hartford

They didn't always work.

13. arclight610

arclight610

The "Bear gang" that I envisioned wasn't a bunch of Billy Bobs and Bubba Joe's in the back of a pickup with shotguns, pitchforks, and 30-06's. I was envisioning something very organized and professionally planned. The gang would be very structured, something similar to how the military is broken down. The "Bear gang" becoming corrupt would defeat the mission statement of the gang itself. The only type of people I would forsee joining this organization are the type that want to see criminals die with no other real motive. Joining the "Bear gang" would certainly entail throwing your whole previous life away, being willing to accept the consequences, and being single. There aren't many of those type of people around, but there are some. If there weren't those type of those ultrapatriot type people around, alot of special operations groups wouldn't exist.

14. silentpoet

silentpoet

I believe in air strikes for gang meetings. You see those big gatherings where there are hundreds of dirtbags on Gangland, that is where an air strike could do the most good.

15. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

And who would hold your gang of moral law-abiding vigilantes accountable when you make the inevitable mistake of misidentifying your criminal target?

16. Hartford

Hartford

You can never foresee all the types of people who would join the vigilante's. Vigilantism in itself tends to attract people who are closer to the line between criminal and law abiding. Once the killing starts it might be hard for everyone to stick to the mission statement. What happens when the "Bear Gang" does soething that disagrees with someone else. It would turn into another Lincoln County war.

17. arclight610

arclight610

I'm sure a system of checks 'n balances and justice system could be set up. Like I said, this type of operation would take some extensive planning. It wouldn't be like "Hey bubba, lets go get out the 30-30's and scalp us some gangbangers tonight." Two gentlemen started up Blackwater. I don't see how a vigilante organization would be impossible to set up.

18. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

If that is the case, how would it be any different than local, state, and federal law enforcement?

19. Hartford

Hartford

We already have the police. If vigilantism worked we would have kept it around after the west was settled. What you describe isn't really vigilantism.

20. Lomez

Lomez Nice guy

just take a walk in a bad area and be ready to shoot. self defense is ok, but when they come shooting at your public address seeking revenge- THAT's the problem!