Gander Mountain going out of business sale...what a joke!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Oldschooltube, May 11, 2017.

1. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

So I always thought that Gander Mountain was high on their prices. Now I think that they are just High. They are having a going out of business sale with huge discounts so they say.

Last time I was in they had a 10 millimeter Glock for 529. Now they have the same 10 millimeter Glock for 569 with a 5% discount.

What kind of Common Core idiot math is that? I'm glad that they are going out of business.

So if any of y'all are thinking about going to check out the sale don't waste your time.

SJ 40 and Bren like this.
  2. Glock19_Ky

Glock19_Ky

They really are a joke of a company. My favorite part is when they try to sell you a 80 dollar warranty on your gun when most firearms come with a lifetime warranty these days. I never pay full price btw I just price match them and only if I have no other options.

itisbruno and refugeepj like this.

3. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

This is typical of going out of business "sales". The inventory is turned over to a third party liquidator who usually jacks up the price and adds a small "% off" sale. The real bargains don't appear until later on. People still buy at the inflated price because it's "on sale".

pAZ Ron, blackjack, Paul53 and 3 others like this.
  4. TxDoubleAgent

TxDoubleAgent

Thus why they are on their way out. Only people who buy from Gander or Cabella's, just don't know anything or any better about a firearm purchase.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Exactly why those idiots are done. Cabela's, meanwhile, will keep expanding . . . until they day they go out of business. I can't believe anybody buys anything from these places. I love going in and checking out the stuff and the animals and the aquariums, but I never buy anything, because I'd feel foolish to pay 25-50% more than the real gun store down the street.

pAZ Ron likes this.
  6. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

Agree with GM, but not always with Cabelas. Sale ammo and guns at Cabelas can be a good deal. Sunday I bought a Shield .45 acp with night sights and three magazines for $30 less than I could buy it online from Bud's. Also got double Cabelas points. You can find bargains at Cabelas if you know what you are looking for. Of course that might change once they are bought by Bass Pro.

7. TxDoubleAgent

TxDoubleAgent

I will agree with ya there. I do buy lots of .223/5.56 ammo from the Cabela's since it's local to me and pass it twice a day. They seem to have enough glut to blow it out. Have also scored Magpul parts needed on the fly.
    I do have to admit that I did purchase a 10/22 from them on sale that I couldn't refuse. And they way they "rope" ya in on their CC for points...LOL, got to love it.

Then I took a look at a plain jane G19G4 for $629, just strokes me the wrong direction. :confused:

8. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I was slow to learn... Every time I went to Gander I left shaking my head and asking myself 'why?'. It's hard to put my finger on it - but I never liked the store. I haven't been to one in years.

9. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

"" THIS""

nursetim likes this.
  10. remshooter

remshooter

i once tried to order 10 tins of muzzloader caps ,100 per tin for 6.00 a piece ,i knew there was a 20.00 Haz-mat fee .NOOOO they were going to charge me 20.00 Haz-mat fee per EACH 6.00 tin ,even though it all was same order and ship in same box ,called there costumer service ,they said thats the way it is ,i said you just lost a sale ,you are crazy ,not paying this

Paul53 likes this.
  11. powernoodle

powernoodle

They are free to set their own prices, and we are free not to buy from them. That does not make them or us bad. It just is.

Paul53, RichardB and Anicius Julianus like this.
  12. nursetim

nursetim

I love the "up to 70% off" ploy. That 70% off is on one item, that wouldn't you know it, just sold out the second you got there, and it was some obscure BS POS that no one knows about or needs. Yeah, I avoid going out of business "sales".

SJ 40 likes this.
  13. Doc McGlock

Doc McGlock

I hear you paynter2! The first time I went to the newly opened GM here in SA was back at the peak of the .22 shortage. They offered bricks of .22 to anyone visiting the store (1/customer!) I kept coming back trying to see if they offered any more and since I was working nearby, would stop randomly to see if they had any more!......................... Never!

I learned from that experience and was always shocked that they ever sold anything at their prices!

14. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

They have been a joke since their grand opening and now continue it in their going out of business sale. SJ 40

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  15. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

We've got a Gander going out of business with the big going out of business sale signs - I haven't even gone inside because I knew it would be exactly as OP describes. As for Cabela's, I do appreciate the nice selection of older but still overpriced guns. Our local store had a beautiful old Marlin 39a on the rack a few years ago - really excellent condition. They wanted about $100 too much for it and I didn't bite, but I kinda wish I had now.

16. Anicius Julianus

Anicius Julianus

Agreed.
    Their case, and many others like them, are perfect examples of how capitalism works.

17. Glock1963

Glock1963

I've long believed that Gander Mountain is where a fool and his money go to part ways.

18. Bilrus61

Bilrus61

Yep I was looking at a benchmade knife. It was the same price at Christmas as Cabelas. 99 bucks. The price on the clearance sale was 129 bucks with ten percent off. The prices are actually highter on the sale than before. But folks were flocking in there like flies to $%$. Went over to Cabela's and there was the same knife the same price. 99 bucks. And Cabela's parking lot was totally empty. <sigh>

19. remshooter

remshooter

like p.t. barnaum use to say ,."there is a sucker born every minute."

20. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

I guess I just have better luck at Cabela's than some of you folks. Bought a couple guns there, that I couldn't find cheaper - or in stock - anywhere else. Reloading components are cheaper there than anywhere else, plus I have a rewards card...just saved $53 on a new trolling motor using that card, too.

I buy all my decoys from Cabela's - site to store shipping for free, and I catch them discounted quite a bit. And, they're the only local store I frequent with .22 in stock on a regular basis.

Adub and Paul53 like this.