Debate Gallup: No major US religious groups favor refusing service to gays

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by DonCT, Jun 22, 2017.

1. DonCT

DonCT

2. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

JB will be along shortly to correct your erroneous observation, and to let you know how unchristian it is not to refuse service to gays.

badge315, MikeLadner and pokersamurai like this.

3. JBnTX

JBnTX

The only time Christians have a problem with sodomites is when they leave the privacy of their own bedroom and try to force American society to accept their sinful lifestyle as equal to a normal lifestyle.

Christians do not want to see gay parades, watch gays on television, or have their children exposed to the sodomite agenda.

Other than that, it's live and let live.

SGT HATRED likes this.
  4. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

As soon as religious people keep their religion in their homes and churches... we'll ask gay people to tone down their public displays. Until then... fair is fair.

But the way you feel about gay people is the way we feel about you. Believe what you like... just don't get any of it on us.

5. powernoodle

powernoodle

As with almost everything in life, there is a balancing act one must perform. On the one hand, we are called to reach the lost rather than repel them. Our model is the Christ, who walked and talked and ate with the lowest of the low (and I am in that class), for there are no other means of reaching a person with the love of Christ than to first establish with him a relationship. Homosexuals should be invited into our homes and churches and workplaces with gentleness and respect. Aside from their compulsion to engage in same-sex sexuality, they are no different than any of us. They have their sins, and I have mine.

Conversely, a Christian can no more be forced to advocate same-sex sexuality - as when the Christian baker is forced to produce a birthday cake promoting same-sex sexuality - than can any other person in society be forced to advocate views in opposition to his freely held belief system. Should a man who practices same-sex sexuality be governmentally compelled to sell t-shirts disparaging homosexuals? Jews to sell Hitler coffee mugs? Of course not, and so too the Christian baker must be left alone to operate his business within the confines of his faith.

So, there is an antinomy between reaching the lost with love on the one hand, and remaining steadfast in the faith on the other, just as there is an antinomy between God's sovereignty and human free will. That is to say, the same rope is being pulled from both ends, and both directions are true and valid. It is a paradox.

Uncle Noodle's word of the day: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/antinomy

6. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

To the OP, I think that's probably true. Most people aren't so consumed with prejudice they can't operate their own business properly. I have a client that's a wiccan and I think all religion is poison but those weird witchcraft religions I find to be harmless but retarded. I do her taxes with a smile and treat her with same respect I treat everyone else regardless of my personal beliefs. She runs this weird occult website and asked me to come help set up her bookkeeping software and get her started. I did happily. I've also helped numerous churches setup their bookkeeping software and do payroll and bookkeeping and sales tax for churches.

I think most people are able to separate their personal views when providing a service to the public. It's the minority that feel the need to discriminate and be an ass about their religion.

badge315 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. JBnTX

JBnTX

Do you guys understand that there's a difference between right and wrong?
    They are NOT equal.

What's fair for one side is not fair for the other, and there is no balancing act that one must perform.

Homosexuality is wrong, it is a sinful destructive lifestyle that threatens civilized society.
    It is NOT equal to a normal lifestyle and does not have to be "accommodated" by society.

If they want to do that stuff, then they can do it in private where no one can see.

8. Dave514

Dave514

Another instance in which you ignore Paul.

1 Corinthians 5King James Version
    9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

ERV for those who don't care for the middle english-
    9 I wrote to you in my letter that you should not associate with people who sin sexually. 10 But I did not mean the people of this world. You would have to leave the world to get away from all the people who sin sexually, or who are greedy and cheat each other, or who worship idols. 11 I meant you must not associate with people who claim to be believers but continue to live in sin. Don’t even eat with a brother or sister who sins sexually, is greedy, worships idols, abuses others with insults, gets drunk, or cheats people.
    12-13 It is not my business to judge those who are not part of the group of believers. God will judge them, but you must judge those who are part of your group. The Scriptures say, “Make the evil person leave your group.”

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  9. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

Yes they are equal. YOUR religion's determination that homosexuality is wrong is not universal nor is it an acceptable standard in this nation anymore. You're allowed to think it's wrong. But that doesn't mean anything. Your god doesn't run things here. He never did. You don't have to hang out with gay people. You don't have to approve of their lifestyle. You don't even have to like them. But if you're going to open a business and provide a service to the public, you damn sure better be ready to provide that service to gay people because they have equal protection under the law. Otherwise... close your business.

If you have a business open to the public... yes... yes there most certainly is.

For you perhaps. Not everyone sees it that way. You seem to think everyone has to see things your way because god... doesn't work that way in a free society.

No it doesn't. It's been around since we were throwing rocks in the bushes and it hasn't destroyed us yet.

Yes it is... and yes it does... and will. Prejudice people that act otherwise will be financially ruined.

Again, as soon as you religious folks keep it to yourselves... we'll talk.

10. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

There's a big difference there and you just pointed it out yourself. Asking a gay person to sell t-shirts DISPRAGING homosexuals is VERY different than asking a christian to bake a cake for a homosexual for a gay wedding or whatnot. It would be the same if the homosexual asked the baker to bake a cake DISPARAGING christians. And pretty much everyone would side with the baker on that. That's the difference. Religious people think they have some special right to be bigots yet not be called bigots. It's not bigotry when god says it apparently. That's not how reality works. It's never going to be how reality works.

11. refugeepj

refugeepj

individuals have the right to live according to their conscience.
    i have the right to disagree.
    God made some folks gay, and He doesn't do junk. God makes NO mistakes.
    i am not willing to question His decisions, i accept those decisions and hope all people have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
    that is the American way.
    no victim, no crime.
    not my business what happens in anyones private life, as long as there is no victim.
    PDA, not good, gay or straight. get a room!

12. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

Oooooooh! LOL... JB is gonna be mad at you for that one.

13. Dave514

Dave514

Yeah, JB agrees that they are born gay but it's their parents that are at fault. :rolleyes:

14. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

The right to refuse service to anyone.
    I like that.

Gay, or straight. If you try to ruin a man's business because he will not serve you..... You suck.

15. Dave514

Dave514

Refusing people for bigoted reasons sucks.

[​IMG]

16. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

So you're fine with a business that has a sign that says (NO DOGS OR BLACKS ALLOWED)?

No sorry... that won't be tolerated.

17. powernoodle

powernoodle

Of course. But the question is how to respond to the lost. Do we call them names, and turn our backs on them? Is that how you were brought to Christ? Me neither. Or do we follow Christ's example to meet them where they are, to engage them with gentleness and love, so that the Holy Spirit might change them? Just as Christ loves you and me in our sin, so too does he love all who sin. Including the homosexual. Loving the person does mean that you condone their behavior.

Consider Jesus and the Samaritan woman in John 4. Jews looked down on Samaritans just as some now look down on homosexuals. Both the Samaritan and the homosexual chose not to follow the precepts and principles of God. Yet Jesus engaged the Samaritan woman in her sin, that she might be transformed into a follower of the Christ. He did not merely call her names and turn his back on her. Perish the thought.

Each of us must remember what a low down dirty dog were were before Christ, and give thanks that we were not looked down on the way that some now look down homosexuals. And even those of us who follow Christ - especially us - have our own besetting sins of arrogance, greed, self-important, gluttony, and on and on. It is shameful not to engage the lost with the love of Christ, considering the infinite debt of sin for which we have been forgiven.

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. - Paul to the believers in Corinth. 1 Cor. 11:1.

18. Biggsly

I am fine with a black business owner having a sign that says no bald headed white guys. If it is his business and he put his money into it, who am I to tell him how to run it? If people don't like it, he will go out of business.
    Should this guy have the same right to shut down a bunch of freaks in women's underwear from walking down the street in front of children?

joemack47 and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  19. Clownblaster3000

Clownblaster3000

People don't like it... and bigoted businesses get financially destroyed. Glad we agree.

You're confusing freedom of speech with discriminatory business practices. One is protected by the constitution... the other is not.

20. Biggsly

We don't agree.