close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gaining weight

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Timothy658, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Timothy658

Timothy658

Hello,
    Ive been working out 2-3 times a week for about 3 and a half months now, and Ive been taking a protein supplement for about 2 months. Ive gained about 10 pounds. (I started at about 125, and am at about 135 now). Age is 26, height is 5'10." I would like to keep gaining weight, however at a faster pace if possible. I have thought about switching to creatine, is this a good idea, or should I stick with protein? I actually like the taste of the protein, and its not expensive. Plus I get the calcium from the milk. What does creatine do?

2. Slotback

Slotback Glock 35 Millennium Member

Creatine is supposed to help with muscle recovery and therefore muscle growth.

To gain weight (the good kind) eat plenty of protein rich foods.

Avoid startchy carbs and sodas. They'll put on the wrong kind of weight.

You don't want to gain too much weight too fast as you run the risk of it being fat.

3. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

IIRC Creatine boosts ATP levels in the muscle, which gives you short bursts of explosive strength. The kind of energy weight lifters and sprinters want, not long lasting energy like a distance runner would want. This will help you lift more, and hopefully build muscle as a result.

Creatine also draws water into the muscles, which is why you should drink plenty of extra water to avoid dehydration. Water can be drawn from the other organs and into the muscles while taking Creatine.

This water gain is why supplement companies can claim "gain 5-10 pounds in a week while taking Creatine". It is actually true, but it is water weight, not miraculous mass gain.

Give Creatine a shot and see what it does for you. Continue taking a protein supplement as well.

Gaining 10 pounds in 3 months is pretty good, especially if it is real muscle mass and not too much fat. Keep doing whatever it is you are doing.

You want to try and eat atleast 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Try to eat every 3 hours, and if you can, get up in the middle of the night and eat protein as well.

How many calories are you getting per day? You probably want to get atleast 4000 or so. Probably even more if possible.

Protein and quality calories are the biggest things you need in your diet, creatine won't do jack if you aren't eating to grow.

4. Timothy658

Timothy658

I think I will stick with the protein for now. I will focus on getting the 1.5 gr of protein per pound of body weight. The protein I am on right now is Designer Whey. It comes in a box that you pour from, I got it at Wal Mart, and its a pretty good deal. Mixes the best out of the other stuff I have tried, and it does taste good. The other stuff I tried was Body Fortress, and an EAS brand powder, which didnt mix worth a darn.

Im not sure how many calories I am getting per day, but I will keep a closer eye on that. Thanks for the help guys.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

Easy. Go to a fast food place for lunch and dinner. Order double cheese burgers, supersize the fries and drink as much soda as you can hold. Then come back to these boards and complain about too much weight.

6. Roddy

Roddy

I ate fast food (pizza, McDonalds, KFC, and lots of chips and junk food) every day for months and lost a few pounds in that time. I can see where someone's coming from saying they can't gain weight at all.

7. JMag

JMag

Bananas and water...milk instead of water even better, IMO. Some PB&J sammiches thrown in and you'll gain weight.

8. Markcuda

Markcuda A gun a month

God, I hate you;f ;f

9. Roddy

Roddy

Most people do.;f

I'm young, I have a physically demanding job (mandatory exercise!). I'm sure pretty soon I'll get fatter easier.

10. DBradD

DBradD

I think you'd be very well advised to add bodyfat percentage testing to your list of activities. It's extremely cheap and is offered at most gyms. Given your rapid increase, I'd be willing to bet that a fair amount of your gain is fat. It's pretty difficult to gain 10 solid pounds of muscle in 3.5 months without steroids, although I'm sure it's possible especially for a beginner. Don't let yourself get fat - you're better off skinny, in my opinion.

I've come to the personal opinion that supplements are 99% placebo. I've tried them over the years and couldn't tell a bit of difference in my poundages and recovery times. Actually, the best 4 months I ever had was during a time that I took no supplements. I think they're extremely effective at one thing - making endorsement money for pro bodybuilders who got almost all their gain from steroids anyway.

I think it's best to keep it simple. Estimate the number of calories required to maintain your bodyweight. Add a few hundred or a thousand calories to that. Maintain a reasonable balance of protein/carbs/fat calories like say, 30%/50%/20%. Drink plenty of water, etc. In other words, the fundamentals.

Good luck.
    DBD

11. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

10+ lbs. in that amount of time is very rapid and I'd agree that a good portion of it is fat.

Putting on 10 lbs. of true muscle in 6 months to a year is more realistic. You are not going to gain muscle any faster unless you start playing with chemicals.

The first 10 to 15 lbs. come quick, after that you are probably going to be fighting for it.

12. DBradD

DBradD

Man, ain't that the truth!

The ole' plateau is no fun. I remember back in the day, I squatted 485 in a contest one year, 510 a solid year later, and was still stuck in the low 500s a year later. That's extremely discouraging. It's no wonder that people are tempted to trade their health for faster gains. I was only intermediate level - imagine trying to smash the plateaus that the big dogs have!

DBD

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

A gallon of milk a day and heavy squats once or twice a week will pack on the muscle. It's been working for 75 years and will work for many more.

14. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

+1

A long time ago I was told the same thing. Gaining 12 pounds of pure muscle in a year is realistic. So basically a pound a month.

I was hoping the guy that told me was wrong, but it turns out he was spot on.

15. Romeo

Romeo

A very good post-workout drink would be around 25g of protein, 5g of dextrose, and 5g of creatine.

16. Timothy658

Timothy658

If I were to try creatine, which brand would you guys suggest?

17. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

I'd skip it for the first few months and just stick to good nutrition plus protein. Some of the gains you see with creatine aren't real because they make your muscles retain fluid.

Just limit yourself to one or two cardio sessions per week, lift heavy and eat well. Right after your workout is a great time to down a protein shake and a small amount of sugar or glutamine. Wait at least a half hour before having your regular meal afterwards so your body can absorb all the protein and sugar without having to digest the other food.

Creatine might help in the future if you hit a plateau and want to break out beyond it.

18. Timothy658

Timothy658

Thank you 45. That is what I will do.