close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gah! Idiots on the mountain. aka bring a flashlight

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bwphoto, Jan 21, 2010.

1. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

So I'm racing home from a photo shoot hoping to squeeze a quick up-down walk/run on one of the nearby mountains (RT is only around 2.5-3 miles). I figured I'd have daylight, but tossed the SureFire into the Camelbak just in case. I actually try timing myself on this route and make it to the top in record time. Take a quick survey of the waning sunset across the valley and back down I go. Not 10 minutes down, these two teenage girls ask if I know where I'm going. They're lost.

So I'm letting them follow me down (and going at about 25% speed because of it). Now it's really dark, and I get out the SF. Man, what a life saver it was! I get them in front of me ~10-15 yards and keep the path highlighted perfectly. It's about that time I realize (from their appearance and conversation) that they're lesbians. Great. My adolescent dreams come true. Lost teen lesbians on a mountain telling me over and over that they love me for saving them.

But then it gets better. We're about halfway down and now it's really dark. We start hearing a guy shouting for help. WTH? How can you need help on a mile-long trail, I wonder. It seemed that he had taken a wrong turn and ended up in a mini-valley that terminates in scrub brush. It's easy enough to do during the day, and naturally this genius didn't bring a flashlight. We shine the L2 Lumamax down to where the voice is calling from - I spot him maybe 100 yards away and get him towards us.

I'm in the back of the line using the SF on full blast, highlighting the three nitwits in front of me as we single file it down the trail on this mountain. On a slow day, downhill takes me no more than 25 minutes and ended up taking nearly 2 hours, but I saved 3 people + their families a ton of anxiety and $$$ by not having to have them call the fire department to send up the helo.

Not a bad night, overall. Don't forget your flashlight! This was the first time I brought it out of the house in ages.

2. M1a65

M1a65

Yet another GTer being prepaired! Good on ya, the tax payers also say thanks!

3. GeorgeM223

GeorgeM223

I hiked Pikes Peak with a friend a few months bad and on the way down after sunset, we ran into a couple of young guys with no light and lost. We had ours and led them down.

4. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

5. joker42179

joker42179

so now back to the 2 teenage lesbians.....were they hot?? any pics?

just wondering ya know :whistling:

6. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

update :shocked:

7. goldenlight

goldenlight

I ALWAYS carry a flashlight with me. I have a small LED one on my key chain, with an extra AAA cell for it in the holster for my cell phone.

I also carry a NiteCore Smart PD EX10 R2, and two extra CR123 cells for it.

It has an infinitely adjustable light level, from 145 lumens down to 3 lumens, so I can set it to how much light I need.

Carrying a good flashlight is like carrying my pocket knife and CC weapon: I don't leave home without it.

I was in an inside room at work once when the power went out. I had a small 2 x AAA flashlight on my key chain. It was as dark as a cave under 100 feet of rock, until I turned that little light on.

It always amazes me how many people don't even keep a reliable flashlight in their cars. I guess they figure they will ALWAYS have service on their cell phones.

I tend to plan for when I DON'T have cell phone service.

Most people tend to forget that when there's a power failure, even if it's a ways away, it can take out enough cell towers that you can lose cell phone service, even if the power is still working right where you are.

Yes: be prepared.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

bwphoto,

Good job!

:cool:

'Drew

9. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If you can't see, you can't do much else. Good job.

10. major

major Rejected member

I was involved with a situation once where a school camping trip turned bad and two students were killed (I wasn't along, but my son was). Later, it was determined that the teacher "leading" the trip was woefully unprepared, not even having basic survival gear that anyone would have taken for these particular circumstances.

The stupidest, most asinine comment came afterward from one of the school administrators (in defending the teacher for his lack of preparedness) when he said, "How could he have known that an emergency would develop?"

I said, "That's why you prepare."